ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-18, 10:01 PM

DUBL07 is on a distinguished road
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
I think that most people deserve to find someone to love them and that they can love in return. I met the partner I'm with now 20 years ago when I was 37, so I was about the same age as you are now. And we didn't meet in a bar. And I'm really lucky to have found someone who has stuck with me for 20 years, despite the ADHD. If I were you, I wouldn't give up yet. It's never too late to find love or go back to school or learn a new language...
I will just casually observe for now. I will put effort into this new job and getting back to the books in school and trying harder. I feel bad for jacking the OP's thread haha. He probably wants me to shut up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DUBL07 For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-13-18), psychopathetic (05-12-18)
Old 05-12-18, 11:00 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,363 Times in 7,149 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBL07 View Post
I feel bad for jacking the OP's thread haha. He probably wants me to shut up
haha, nah...I doubt it!
I think it's good that you were able to open up here in this thread!

Besides, these are forums for people with ADHD...going off topic is bound to happen!

(((Dubs)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-13-18), Essa96 (05-13-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-13-18)
Old 05-13-18, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
haha, nah...I doubt it!
I think it's good that you were able to open up here in this thread!

Besides, these are forums for people with ADHD...going off topic is bound to happen!

(((Dubs)))
haha right? I'm surprised they even have topics here. This is a great place, i really like reading topics here. Good to know many have the same issues as me. When i first started reading about adhd i had many ahah moments. And some stories exactly like mine. It's awesome to know i'm not alone and that there is an actual reason things are so tough sometimes. Kind of a comfort i guess.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DUBL07 For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-13-18), Essa96 (05-13-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-13-18), psychopathetic (05-13-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-18, 01:06 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post

(((Dubs)))
LOL...My going off on tangents all the time during conversations is one of the things that really annoys my partner. And when I was teaching a class about 25 years ago, a student wrote the following on a form that was handed in at the end of the semester evaluating my teaching: “Sometimes we would get bogged down and go off on tangents. The lesson would be clearer if it were presented in a more systematic and structured manner."

I feel a little sorry for my students because they probably never got a very organized lesson.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
DUBL07 (05-13-18), psychopathetic (05-13-18)
Old 05-13-18, 02:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,207 Times in 5,474 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

it affects it a lot
aeon (05-13-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-13-18), psychopathetic (05-13-18)
Old 05-13-18, 03:46 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
it affects it a lot
Very succinct!

Definition of succinct

2 : marked by compact precise expression without wasted words
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-31-18), DUBL07 (05-13-18), LyrinMeow (05-13-18)
Old 05-13-18, 04:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

adhdseeker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000koni View Post
My apologies for the lack of singular clarity, and likely grammatical mistakes. I’m in a slight rush but I also wanted to add something to this thread. Very often the slight rush is the only way to get going. Yet there is some inherent impulsiveness, unfelt fear that I don’t have enough time, because there are all these other things that need to be done. For example, get dressed and theoretically be ready to leave the house for work, before it’s too late.
OK, back to this thread though. About this (my) ADD story. I have lately thought that whatever else experts defines it as, ADD (to me) is some moving constellation of disruptive energy. There is something not quite right about my internal guidance system relative to what is (“life”). And because the “life” project is all about connections [that are in motion], to people, things, ideas, emotions (probably though this too is an energetic realm), I tend to be out-of-sync with what is and ultimately with my own self. Of course sometimes less so, sometimes it doesn’t matter, sometimes I don’t care, but generally speaking it takes tons of energy to manage the constellation of disruptive energy and the end result is very little gets built. Quite often things get un-built. Maybe this propensity is part of a bigger desire or drive to connect to some essence (energetic) that exist in the present tense? Maybe. Sometimes I am there, in the present tense, and people say I can be very intense, but even then the disruptive energy factors skew towards something that is not easy to reconcile with in the life project.
I ran across a piece recently by M Manson (who writes very well .. and I’m not saying this piece is the holy grail) titled something like 10 reasons you fail. In various degrees I know 9/10 quite well. So what, it’s just a list someone came up with. I can come up with my own list. Except there is something intrinsic, innate to the “constellation” I mentioned above, and its effects are highly self-diminishing. There is also something in the MManson list that is hard to deny. In theory I could (and have) concentrate (d) on one or two “aspects”, let’s say “fear of being perceived as successful”, but I don’t quite connect with this fear, and then the other “aspects” start spinning. So generally, a very low level of functional progress. I suspect I don’t really accept this on some level, a certain kind of “handicappedness” (from the constellation of disruptive energy) that disables progress. The "merry-go-round" spins and sometimes the views are amazing, sometimes I meet interesting people and we have a ride, but it keeps turning on its own axis. Gotta run, now I am late.
Hey, just wanted to say i super loved this post!! I really identify with it. I know I have more of a response than that but that's all I have to say right now. Cheers!
Old 05-13-18, 01:34 PM

Thanked 14,544 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

It affects every part of my life...my self-care, my sleep, my focus, my goals, my actions, my job, my career, my relationships, my management of paperwork (good god do I hate it), and on and on and on.

Some moreso than others...but it all is affected to some degree of effect.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (05-13-18)
Old 05-13-18, 01:53 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,363 Times in 7,149 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

(((Aeon)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-13-18)
Old 05-15-18, 04:52 PM

Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,331 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

when i was younger i could manage it. at 39 its like, without meds- its very hard. im happy now and it only affects my life when i dont take it...mostly weekends. doctor said take a break on weekends if i want to engage in other stuff lol. The main thing is used to impact the most and dangerous was driving my work truck and blanking out. thank god im still alive.
Old 05-15-18, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemicals View Post
when i was younger i could manage it. at 39 its like, without meds- its very hard. im happy now and it only affects my life when i dont take it...mostly weekends. doctor said take a break on weekends if i want to engage in other stuff lol. The main thing is used to impact the most and dangerous was driving my work truck and blanking out. thank god im still alive.
Exactly the same experience. I have always had learning struggles. But as i get older the ADHD makes me worthless day to day. I read a ton of articles online and most guys get diagnosed in there 30's because they are falling apart. I can't imagine what my 40's might look like.
The Following User Says Thank You to DUBL07 For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (06-02-18)
Old 05-22-18, 09:07 PM

autismplus is on a distinguished road

It is so bad it affects my basic daily functioning. It is part of the reason I can't work. Just today I had someone accuse me of not trying at something.
The Following User Says Thank You to autismplus For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 03:42 PM

Thanked 1,535 Times in 844 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismplus View Post
It is so bad it affects my basic daily functioning. It is part of the reason I can't work. Just today I had someone accuse me of not trying at something.

Meanwhile, I believe that we try harder than NTs just to get poor results (a lot of the time.)
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 06-01-18, 04:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,433 Times in 14,466 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemicals View Post
I wonder why the doc said to take a break?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-01-18, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
Meanwhile, I believe that we try harder than NTs just to get poor results (a lot of the time.)
I always feel that way. That i work three times as hard for half as much results. It sucks having an invisible disability. People don't realize the daily struggle. And all the emotional baggage that comes along with it. Never really finding your place in the world and fitting in and working and striving to go nowhere. Really does wear on you after a while. And being told you aren't trying or you don't care or you have a bad attitude. I don't have a bad attitude i just get frustrated and overwhelmed easily. I wish they would invent the ADHD pill. The pill that would give neurotypicals a taste of ADHD life for a day or two. Then we can bark commands at them and demand more from them. All the while they melt down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DUBL07 For This Useful Post:
DieselFreak (06-02-18), Essa96 (06-02-18)