ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 08-28-10, 06:17 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light
Does a mess make you feel comfortable?

My room & desk is a huge mess, but I more or less know where my stuff is. I'm comfortable with my mess. Same with my computer - I'll have 50 windows open and an Internet Browser with 20 tabs open, because the messiness makes me feel comfortable. I have options. I have alternatives. I have different things to look at or do - I'm not just stuck with one thing.

I'd really like to get cleaned up and focus on one thing at a time, but the idea of that kind of drives me a bit batty - single-focusing is scary!
Imnapl (09-02-10)
Old 08-28-10, 08:03 PM

SilverDoe will become famous soon enough
Re: Does a mess make you feel comfortable?

Idk, I've gotten really clean and organized lately b/c we are selling a house. My room and school locker used to be REALLY messy, but it was sort of messy-organised, because I knew where everything was amongst the rubbish.

~~Katie~~
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverDoe For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-02-10)
Old 08-28-10, 09:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,348 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

egad, and I thought I kept a lot of windows open ....my little laptop would curl up its toes and die if I tried to keep that many open ......more than 10 and it starts acting funny .....

but I have had stronger computers that I could get away with 13 to 15 or so.....

yep something isn't holding my interest in one place, let's see whats' going on elsewhere.....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Dagwood (08-31-10), Imnapl (09-02-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-10, 09:40 PM
Contributor

Azoox is a jewel in the roughAzoox is a jewel in the roughAzoox is a jewel in the rough

I'm sorry, but I'm a perfectionist. Disorder on the outside ruins order on the inside. I'll take a picture one day of what my desk looks like and show you. Many have told me before I keep it too orderly, but that is simply how I function.

When it comes to my computer, I use a Mac with something called Spaces. It's a function allowing me to use up to 16 screens on just one screen available, which I readily do. That way, I assign each screen to one separate program or type of programs. No clutter!

The only exception to the above is what I call artistic mess. I like mixing colors, fabrics, materials, scents, spices, seasonings, etc. That is, however, part of the creative process. Maybe the mess you've all written about here is also creative for you. If so, then I don't see why it should be a problem at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azoox For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-02-10), mimi'sdreaming (09-01-10)
Old 08-28-10, 09:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

pookandpeb will become famous soon enough

I never thought of it like that, but I have three windows open on my computer right now, too. I am sitting here in the dark, on a desk piled with papers. I'm completely disconnected by the mess at the moment, but usually I feel very pressured by my messes. I love a neat environment and am constantly striving for it (but never getting completely there).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pookandpeb For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-02-10), Impetus (08-28-10)
Old 08-28-10, 10:19 PM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookandpeb View Post
I never thought of it like that, but I have three windows open on my computer right now, too. I am sitting here in the dark, on a desk piled with papers. I'm completely disconnected by the mess at the moment, but usually I feel very pressured by my messes. I love a neat environment and am constantly striving for it (but never getting completely there).

I am quite like this as well.

have three sessions of explorer open right now... some of the sessions have multiple pages in them where I was comparing info on an item i want to buy

at work I will run three sessions of Outlook and then the operating programs we run on. Then there's the 20 plus e mails I will have open.

I love gadgets that involve organization. If I find the right gadget I will use it forever, but the wrong one will fall into disuse. and I never know what's what until I stop using something.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
Old 08-28-10, 10:59 PM
Forum Guru

Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoox View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm a perfectionist. Disorder on the outside ruins order on the inside. I'll take a picture one day of what my desk looks like and show you. Many have told me before I keep it too orderly, but that is simply how I function.

When it comes to my computer, I use a Mac with something called Spaces. It's a function allowing me to use up to 16 screens on just one screen available, which I readily do. That way, I assign each screen to one separate program or type of programs. No clutter!

The only exception to the above is what I call artistic mess. I like mixing colors, fabrics, materials, scents, spices, seasonings, etc. That is, however, part of the creative process. Maybe the mess you've all written about here is also creative for you. If so, then I don't see why it should be a problem at all.
I'm a closet perfectionist - secretly I yearn for order & organization, but (1) I struggle with keeping things that way, and (2) the reality is that I am comfortable in my mess, lol. I didn't realize I liked my scatterbrained, chaotic layout until today - it always gave me pressure and caused me anxiety because I knew I was supposed to deal with it, but it was too overwhelming to even think about, so I'd ignore it. Mess anxiety ftl.
bricaru (09-17-10)
Old 08-28-10, 11:01 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookandpeb View Post
Yeah - as I mentioned in my post above, I get that pressure too - but I didn't realize I actually like my messes until it dawned on me today. I like having options - those 10 internet tabs are things to flick my attention to when I get bored. The way I *want* to be is to have a single tab open, doing one thing at a time. The reality is that drives me nuts and I hate it! Haha. So that idea of perfection is always a carrot on a string in front of me - but I want the idealized version, not the reality version
Old 08-28-10, 11:03 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
egad, and I thought I kept a lot of windows open ....my little laptop would curl up its toes and die if I tried to keep that many open ......more than 10 and it starts acting funny .....

but I have had stronger computers that I could get away with 13 to 15 or so.....
Yeah, my Internet life got a whooooole lot better when my rig got 8 gigs of RAM

Quote:
something isn't holding my interest in one place, let's see whats' going on elsewhere.....
I know right??
Old 09-01-10, 12:08 AM

Dagwood is on a distinguished road

I've got to have an organized work area. I think it's a coping strategy I've developed over the years.
Old 09-01-10, 12:33 AM

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

I much prefer a neatly organized environment, but struggle to even get close to maintaining one at home.

Phaedrus

Old 09-01-10, 07:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

Axel84 is on a distinguished road

My home is a mess, and yes I feel most comfortable this way, even if some few whine because of it. I will clean it up though... any day... any day...

Its about perfectionism I think, I want things either done perfect and at once, or not at all, which I admit isn't the way to go... thank you for making me aware, now I have the chance to change it... but do I want to change it?

Adhd... adhd...
As I am feeling like going out and scoring some chicks I decide to pop another ritalin and do some more studying... I am already regretting taking the pill as my body slowly regrets regretting what I just typed...

Middle life crisis at age 26? Excuse me while I sit here wondering if I want to keep posting here while listening to mozart, or go out rock and roll for the rest of my life.
Old 09-01-10, 07:14 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,266 Times in 8,598 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I live by this little wisdom nugget which I read at a friends' place:

This house is clean enough to live in,

and dirty enough to be healthy in.

His place is a mess, even more so than mine. But its alive!
Axel84 (09-01-10)
Old 09-01-10, 07:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

Axel84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
I live by this little wisdom nugget which I read at a friends' place:

This house is clean enough to live in,

and dirty enough to be healthy in.

His place is a mess, even more so than mine. But its alive!
Heck, if my landlord wasnt such a female dog, she would love that quote as much as I do.
As I am feeling like going out and scoring some chicks I decide to pop another ritalin and do some more studying... I am already regretting taking the pill as my body slowly regrets regretting what I just typed...

Middle life crisis at age 26? Excuse me while I sit here wondering if I want to keep posting here while listening to mozart, or go out rock and roll for the rest of my life.
Old 09-01-10, 08:12 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
I am quite like this as well.

have three sessions of explorer open right now... some of the sessions have multiple pages in them where I was comparing info on an item i want to buy

at work I will run three sessions of Outlook and then the operating programs we run on. Then there's the 20 plus e mails I will have open.

I love gadgets that involve organization. If I find the right gadget I will use it forever, but the wrong one will fall into disuse. and I never know what's what until I stop using something.
Impetus, please pass along any organization gadgets that you find useful!

BTW, I'm a blondie as well!

Being unorganized drives me C R A Z Y! It bothers me everyday. My desk is a nightmare, so is my email inbox. Everything just sits there looking for a home.

Just yesterday, I told my best friend that I need an assistant!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!