ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should politics remain in Debates
Close Debates 1 5.26%
Keep debates open and REMOVE political discussion 10 52.63%
Keep debates open and MAINTAIN political discussion 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-18, 11:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,939 Times in 2,027 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Politics at ADDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
But do be aware that if you haven't seen too many nasty posts, it's not necessarily because there weren't any, but sometimes because the mods had to remove or edit posts that violated our etiquette guidelines (insults, ethnic slurs, etc. -- political discussions seem to bring out the worst in some people, and it's worse when there are a bunch of people egging each other on).
Wow, I'm surprised. The politics sub has always seemed one of the most respectful and peaceful subs on this forum to me. After all the "gift versus not gift", harsh responses to non-adhder spouses, sexist comments on the relationships sub, the politics sub was quite quiet in comparison. I guess you've been seeing a lot more than I have since you've moderated the sub (or maybe you just have a different perspective than me).

I'd be willing to volunteer to moderate the sub if it continued if someone is moderating it now who doesn't want to be. There's 5 people who voted to keep the sub. Maybe others might step in too so no regular moderator that doesn't like the work would have to do it. I absolutely do not want to make moderators do things they don't want but I do wonder whether there are ways to solve this problem.

I'll say, I don't agree that there are plenty other forums just like this one to discuss politics so I'll be sad to see it go though I'll understand if the majority don't feel the same. I have never seen a political forum where almost everyone seems to try to respect everyone else, backs up their posts with facts, and tries to listen to their opinions. We may not have always succeeded but it does seem like everyone tried. I think it's cause we care about the others in the sub cause others have helped us on the forum or we've helped them. If anyone knows of a similar politics, please let me know. after everything that has happened recently I think in strong part to how uninformed voters are, I've decided never to be uninformed again. thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-12-18), meadd823 (10-01-18), midnightstar (08-12-18), namazu (08-12-18)
Old 08-12-18, 01:32 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,604 Times in 10,357 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps one solution would be to create a social group for those of you who really want to continue to have political discussions.

That way, you could continue to discuss (still following guidelines re: respectful interactions!) with your comrades here, but without those discussions showing up in the list of new posts in a way that compels the rest of us to be drawn in.

You can create a social group by:
1) Going to your User CP,
2) Clicking "Social Groups" (under "Networking") from the left-hand menu,
3) Scrolling down to the bottom of the list
4) Clicking "Create a New Group"
5) Making sure to check "Enable Messages" so that people can post.

Then other members can join (or leave) the group at will.

I don't think it will solve all of the problems I've seen -- and some members have very strong feelings about political issues and won't be able to resist the temptation to participate -- but at least it will be less in-your-face for those of us who are already overwhelmed and stressed out by wall-to-wall political discussions in the news, on social media, and in face-to-face interactions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (08-14-18), Emre22 (08-12-18), midnightstar (08-12-18)
Old 08-12-18, 09:03 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Perhaps one solution would be to create a social group for those of you who really want to continue to have political discussions.

That way, you could continue to discuss (still following guidelines re: respectful interactions!) with your comrades here, but without those discussions showing up in the list of new posts in a way that compels the rest of us to be drawn in.

I don't think it will solve all of the problems I've seen -- and some members have very strong feelings about political issues and won't be able to resist the temptation to participate -- but at least it will be less in-your-face for those of us who are already overwhelmed and stressed out by wall-to-wall political discussions in the news, on social media, and in face-to-face interactions.
I created one
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-12-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-18, 12:00 PM

Thanked 3,939 Times in 2,027 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:

It's a good thought namazu. My only concern is that no one is going to know about these social groups or how to join them. I like I want to join Emre22's group right now but I don't have a clue how to do so.

With the groups being so difficult to find, I don't think we'll ever get new members to check it out and in this case, as old ones leave as some will over time, the politics group will sooner or later be dead. I'd bet on sooner.

What about if we just split the debates forum up into two subsections with neither subsection being able to see posts in the other? This way the people that would like to keep politics could still see it and the ones that don't can't but can still see the religion and other debate topics? There actually do seem to be a reasonable number of people wanting to keep politics. It's actually 8-6 for against/for since Little Missy wanted to change her vote. If one other vote had swayed, it'd be a tie vote.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 12:30 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,604 Times in 10,357 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
It's a good thought namazu. My only concern is that no one is going to know about these social groups or how to join them. I like I want to join Emre22's group right now but I don't have a clue how to do so.
To join Emre's group, click here.
(If that doesn't work, go to your User CP, click "Social Groups", and find the group called "Politics".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01
What about if we just split the debates forum up into two subsections with neither subsection being able to see posts in the other? This way the people that would like to keep politics could still see it and the ones that don't can't but can still see the religion and other debate topics?
I'm not sure if that's technically feasible, but Andi or Andrew might know.

Of course, the social group already kind of does that -- keeps the discussions out of view of those who don't want to join in, or who find them overwhelming -- with the added benefit of not cluttering up the list of new posts from people who are here seeking mental health support and information. Yes, people have to work to find the social groups -- but new members don't regularly stumble into the Debates section by accident, either.

I think you forgot to include in your calculations the person who wanted to do away with the Debates section entirely... (Which wasn't me, by the way!) In any case, the poll is merely advisory. All decisions about the future of political discussions and the Debates section rest with Admin.

I am suggesting the social group as a compromise solution, at least for now, so that interested members can continue to discuss politics without disturbing the peace of other members. (And it is merely a suggestion; the Debates section is officially open for business, including political discussions, until/unless Admin says otherwise.)

Last edited by namazu; 08-14-18 at 01:15 PM..
Old 08-14-18, 02:49 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,276 Times in 14,938 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I say this as a member: When I was new and had many issues with various users I was told put them on ignore..which I hated to hear. I feel like it could be the same idea meaning, do not go into a certain thread..and then you wont need to see the political talk. I also very much disagree that there are a million other places on the internet to discuss these things...have you ever tried to get a word in on a facebook post and weeding between all the trolls and pro-this guy defenders etc. here its like talking with people I know and not having to worry about an army spamming my twitter feed. I feel like maybe looking for more mods or training them just for debates or something is a fair idea since it seems to fall heavily on certain people. And I very much disagree with a certain member's viewpoints yet I PM'd here a link the other day and she pm's me every now and then. Not every section of this forum is supportive. Has anyone taken a peek in the science sections lately..not only is it not supportive but its monopolized. I do not view chit chat as supportive, just fun.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-15-18), Lunacie (08-14-18), midnightstar (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 03:10 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Coming from someone who has mostly avoided the debates forum entirely, I feel that this board has a very specific and targeted reason for existence that in no way shape or form includes fighting over politics. I think it's safe to say we all have enough problems dealing with our own conditions, and I do have to agree that there are plenty of other more targeted venues for political discussion and debate on the internet, so I don't really see a need for it here.

Considering that by our very nature as sufferers of attention deficit disorder, we're already prone to overthinking and reading too much into things, so why allow a sub-forum that encourages that sort of thing to continue to exist. This is not my first online forum, but I will say that it is definitely the most well-behaved and respectful forum I have ever been on in the entire time I've been on the internet.

We all came here for answers, or at the very least to share stories and suggestions with people who have experienced similar hardships to ours, and while it appears to me that we still encourage generalized conversation and chit chat amongst our members, it's obvious that the political forum is far too prone to creating a hostile and unfriendly environment. Kind of goes against the entire purpose of this group, doesn't it?
midnightstar (08-14-18), namazu (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 10:58 PM

Thanked 10,771 Times in 5,800 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Rebelyells gonna make add forums great again !! :-P :-D
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-15-18), Greyhound1 (08-14-18), midnightstar (08-15-18), tudorose (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 01:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to change my position but I can't vote again... I want debates open but upon further thought I think deferring to those that feel uncomfortable with it is the better idea. Its not important enough to me to have politics when so many people do not want it. I do not like the idea that other people are so upset by it. I feel like in situations like this that not having people feel unsafe or upset is more important than arguing about stupid politics and everyone else is right- there are other places on the internet to have debates about politics. I try hard to look at whether its more important for ME to be happy and 'right' or is it more important to have people feel supported and at peace on the boards. Its definitely better to have people feel at peace on the boards than it is to have a debate about politics.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-15-18), midnightstar (08-15-18), namazu (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 04:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I'd like to change my position but I can't vote again... I want debates open but upon further thought I think deferring to those that feel uncomfortable with it is the better idea. Its not important enough to me to have politics when so many people do not want it. I do not like the idea that other people are so upset by it. I feel like in situations like this that not having people feel unsafe or upset is more important than arguing about stupid politics and everyone else is right- there are other places on the internet to have debates about politics. I try hard to look at whether its more important for ME to be happy and 'right' or is it more important to have people feel supported and at peace on the boards. Its definitely better to have people feel at peace on the boards than it is to have a debate about politics.
** I meant deferring to people that do not want politics..I would like the other parts of debates to stay open.**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 07:32 AM

Thanked 30,132 Times in 13,884 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't voted but I agree with Sarah. If it upsets people it's worth getting rid of it.

I think for me what usually seems to happen is that I get upset by something in the news, then post about it in the what's bothering me thread and then it gets moved to debates (not to say that I don't participate in other people's debates...). I could live without the debates on politics (and save some time that would probably be spend better on actually supporting not others) but I do get quite affected by current affairs and I'd miss voicing that.

Anyway, I'd miss it but it's probably not fair anyway making a random post in the what's bothering you thread because I'm upset at that moment and then letting the mods deal with that and the fall out from that once it's moved to debates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 09:40 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I still haven't voted but I agree with Sarah. If it upsets people it's worth getting rid of it.

I think for me what usually seems to happen is that I get upset by something in the news, then post about it in the what's bothering me thread and then it gets moved to debates (not to say that I don't participate in other people's debates...). I could live without the debates on politics (and save some time that would probably be spend better on actually supporting not others) but I do get quite affected by current affairs and I'd miss voicing that.

Anyway, I'd miss it but it's probably not fair anyway making a random post in the what's bothering you thread because I'm upset at that moment and then letting the mods deal with that and the fall out from that once it's moved to debates.
I think the main problem about discussing politics, people do not block emotional part of their part of brain while discussing politics. Maybe it is easy for me to talk like that because i do not live in West, i do not see results first hand.

Donít get me wrong, Fuzzy you are very kind and nice person.But i saw at a post that you called someone fascist, if i were that person i wouldnt get angry because politics are very sensitive it is understandable that Fuzzy is humanist, emıtional , i would have tolerated. But each person is different so each answer will be different.
If we can ignore our emotional thoughts , we can have more civilized debating.

Maybe i ask too much, i ask people like to be robot . But otherwise insultments are inevitable.
Old 08-15-18, 12:07 PM

Thanked 30,132 Times in 13,884 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
I think the main problem about discussing politics, people do not block emotional part of their part of brain while discussing politics. Maybe it is easy for me to talk like that because i do not live in West, i do not see results first hand.

Donít get me wrong, Fuzzy you are very kind and nice person.But i saw at a post that you called someone fascist, if i were that person i wouldnt get angry because politics are very sensitive it is understandable that Fuzzy is humanist, emıtional , i would have tolerated. But each person is different so each answer will be different.
If we can ignore our emotional thoughts , we can have more civilized debating.

Maybe i ask too much, i ask people like to be robot . But otherwise insultments are inevitable.
But they are
Old 08-15-18, 12:38 PM
Committee Member

Quote:
But they are
Thats what i am talking about , we should keep subjective opinions to ourselves , and keep talking about objective ones otherwise result is this poll
By the way i hope you didnt understand me wrong . You are very kind , friendly and supportive
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 12:47 PM
Committee Member

Quote:
But they are
If you join my social group , i can explain details of that issue , it will be off-topic here