ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 10-01-17, 04:53 AM
Jr Member

Danbui2780 is on a distinguished road
Dealing with distractions

Any tips on dealing with distractions???

I'm a server and we use headsets at work to communicate.

When I start greeting a table and hear something in the headset I get TOTALLY distracted (just an example)

We can take them off to talk to tables but I never remember to. I do take it off when I hear something but it's too late. The noise has my mind comeltetly blank.

I've only been here a week so I'm sure I'll adjust and get better.

I was just wanting some tips on how to ignore sounds that don't matter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danbui2780 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-04-17), ToneTone (10-03-17)
Old 10-01-17, 08:31 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,426 Times in 15,023 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dealing with distractions

I wish I had some ideas. It would be hard for me too. Can you pull it down around your neck?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-04-17)
Old 10-01-17, 09:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,059 Times in 13,140 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

can you mute them, without taking them off?
Goodness I could never work in a restaurant!
I really admire you.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-04-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-17, 12:50 PM

Thanked 21,476 Times in 11,514 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Rip those suckers off and lose them. Permanently.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-04-17)
Old 10-03-17, 01:16 AM

spacegrrl is on a distinguished road

That sounds terrible. The best thing I can think of is to make it a habit. I rely a lot on muscle memory, even though it still fails me sometimes. If you are working during a slow time, try to be mindful to take it off every time you approach a table. Maybe even practice walking up to empty tables and taking off the headset. Try to condition yourself to having it feel weird to be at a table with it on.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacegrrl For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-04-17)
Old 10-04-17, 11:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

Wow, that does sound distracting. I was a server for a year and a half while I was getting my master's degree, but it was a buffet restaurant, so I didn't take orders. And we didn't have headsets. I don't think I could handle taking orders, I would mess them up constantly.

I live across from a primary school, but I have to study at home a lot. The noise of the kids was distracting at first, but then it became normal. Besides, I often hyperfocus when I'm studying something interesting, so I don't even notice the other noises. But that method won't work so well if you are a server and have to concentrate on several things at once. Do you have to listen to what is being said? I just wonder if you could just wear a microphone and not have to have the distracting headphones. Then you could just speak the orders when you need to, but not have to listen. But the restaurant probably has their system and might not be willing to adjust it for you. :-(
aeon (10-04-17), kkristin17 (10-09-17)
Old 10-04-17, 12:01 PM

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I often speak with my sweetie when she is using a bluetooth earpiece.

Off of meds, the background sounds feel like my ear is being assaulted, and it just shatters my state of mind when there is loud and/or pokey sounds of the city.

On meds, I don’t even notice them. Seriously, I talked to her yesterday, and she asked me about it, and I hadn’t even thought about the sounds once during the call. It was of no consequence.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 10-08-17, 06:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,426 Times in 15,023 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Can you at least joke with the other servers and use a darth vader voice?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-09-17, 03:35 PM

kkristin17 is on a distinguished road

Which type of restaurant do you work at, if you don't mind me asking?

I've never seen or even heard about this before!

I used to work as a waitress, and the job is hard enough for us ADD'ers *without* having to wear a headset and deal with additional distractions...

This seems like a managerial issue more than anything. I've never heard of headsets being a requirement to run a restaurant!
The Following User Says Thank You to kkristin17 For This Useful Post:
Ronelh (11-30-17)