ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 05-18-14, 07:59 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ganjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant future
Re: How common is it for women to have symptoms get worse after having children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makennan View Post
Also, the sheer amount of paperwork they bring home is maddening. There is always a pile of school papers on my counter. Next to all the unopened mail.
OMG! I know right? When did preschoolers and elementary school kids start bringing home REAMS of sh*t that you're supposed to read, sign, approve, return, etc., etc., EVERY SINGLE DAY?

On top of that, the school texts me at least 4-6 times per week along with robo-calls to go along with the backpacks full of paper trash that come home every day.

The mind is a monkey.
- another unknown zen master -

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ganjin For This Useful Post:
Cat Noir (11-25-17), Flory (05-18-14), Makennan (05-19-14), mrs. dobbs (05-19-14)
Old 05-19-14, 01:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

Makennan will become famous soon enough
Re: How common is it for women to have symptoms get worse after having children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjin View Post
OMG! I know right? When did preschoolers and elementary school kids start bringing home REAMS of sh*t that you're supposed to read, sign, approve, return, etc., etc., EVERY SINGLE DAY?
It's the bane of my existence. What really ****** me off is that they BOTH get the same notices so I have double copies of everything!! Can they not figure it out so just one sibling gets all this sh*t? So that people like us can live a happy life free of excess paper?? And maybe the oldest sibling because my five year old brings all his papers crumpled up in little balls and usually covered in something sticky and unidentifiable.
Old 05-19-14, 01:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,211 Posts
mrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond repute

Haha robo-calls. I've always thought those were incredibly weird.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-17, 04:56 AM
Jr Member

Cat Noir is on a distinguished road

When I had just my son I could manage it in a way that people thought I had ocd!
But With my twins turning age 4/5 I couldn’t keep up with the house hold, all the appointments and activities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat Noir For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-26-17)
Old 11-26-17, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,231 Times in 520 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

I did great with two kids, especially since I worked full time and they were in daycare all day. I enjoyed the time I did get to spend with them after work and on weekends. I feel like I appreciated them more. After leaving work to stay home with them, everything fell apart. And then adding two more kids to the mix didn't help. I didn't know at the time that I had ADD and how much I relied on the structure of having a job. Now, I have no one to answer to or tell me what to do, my kids drive me crazy and I can't wait to get back to work My 5 yr old asks 50 million questions a day and I can't keep up. The grass is always greener, I guess. I know once I start working again, I will miss them like crazy.
Old 11-26-17, 03:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,231 Times in 520 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Oops, I used the c word on here again and now I can't edit it. Sorry if it offends anyone, I wasn't thinking, as usual.
Old 12-06-17, 12:07 AM

marigold1113 is on a distinguished road

I was never diagnosed until after my second kid was born...he was 4 months old, I realized I had postpartum depression, and that's when I first took any type of psych med (Zoloft). A year later, I was miserable so pursued therapy and a psychiatrist (my OB/GYN had been prescribing my Zoloft before that). Ended up on Lexapro and Wellbutrin, which worked much better for my particular flavor of apathetic depression, and with the therapy I figured out that my marriage was toxic and once I got divorced things got SO MUCH BETTER. The dust settled, I started to put two and two together and realized that my daughter has ADHD, and around the same time as I was learning more about it, I realized that even though my depression had gone into remission, I was still really disorganized, scatterbrained at times, lacking in motivation/drive, difficulty concentrating and constantly REALLY behind on my charts at work (I'm a pediatrician). Also definitely had the hyperfocus thing going on....I would get into my "projects" and not be able to break out of my hyperfocus to the point that my mom and ex-husband (still husband at the time) told me I wasn't allowed to Google anymore! LOL. A lot of the symptoms I had attributed to my depression were still alive and well long after my depression lifted. Not to mention the fact that I had (still have) a major coffee addiction and can also recall that in my early college days, I LOVED the heck outta Metabolife (that herbal weight loss/appetite supplement with ephedra that's no longer on the market). When I took it, I felt SO much better...I could actually get things done, and done ON TIME. I was so productive. I was happy and confident. Go figure. Anyway, ever since I figured all this out a year ago and started Adderall first, then transitioned to Vyvanse, it has been amazing how much better things have been.

But yeah, back to the topic at hand - I never even realized I have ADHD until after I had kids and the added stressors of parenting/adulting made it obvious. I even made it through med school without realizing it. Now, looking back, I see that I had signs/symptoms all along...they were just subtle.
The Following User Says Thank You to marigold1113 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-06-17)