ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 09-05-17, 11:59 AM

gpfan5 is on a distinguished road
Looking for help on how to organize move to new house

After almost 15 years in the same house, my husband and I are moving. It is overwhelming and exciting at the same time!

We have 2 kids, the oldest at 16 is excited but busy with school, her part-time job and friends and won't be helping much at all.

The youngest is 7 and she is experiencing some stress because she will be changing elementary schools. Thankfully it's just a 5 minute walk away so we are still very close to neighbors and friends, so that will help tremendously.

Has anyone moved recently? Do you have any tips on how to organize things ?

I am trying to use this an opportunity to get rid of excess clutter , but it's a challenge - I hate throwing things away , but I am getting better at it. I also have been donating and selling some items, too.

thanks for any advice!

Life is an adventure!
Old 09-06-17, 04:30 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,249 Times in 13,799 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for help on how to organize move to new house

Hire movers. Best thing I ever did.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (09-06-17)
Old 09-06-17, 06:12 AM
Contributor

Flia has disabled reputation

I hired movers, that also packed everything. I only had to disconnect the computer and pack valuables that I wouldn't trust anyone else with.

But throwing away is good.
If a thing hasn't been looked at, or used, in 10 years (for clothing 1 year) it won't be used again anyway.
Old 09-07-17, 07:53 AM

ScatterBrainX will become famous soon enough

I moved a year ago. No kids, and only 10 mins away, not much stuff, but it was the first time in my life I had to move for reals (the only other time was moving in with my SO, who was living in a different country, so no furniture was involved, just clothes and a few other items).

So what did I do? Procrastinate on packing, spend all night before moving packing stuff, getting 2 hours of sleep, and somehow still managing to move boxes and furniture up&down stairs the next day. No movers, just me, my SO and in-laws who came with a car and trailer. Not my best moment, but it turned out ok. We moved everything that day and there were no issues. My first advice is to not stress too much, even at our worst, we tend to find a way to make it work

Stuff I actually managed to do that was great:
* get twice as many boxes as you think you'll need. We are terrible at estimating just how much stuff we have!
* give everyone a pen to write on the box what it contains (e.g. "towels", "joe's clothes", etc.). You likely won't unpack everything the day you move, and it will make it easier to locate stuff you need quickly (spare clothes, cups/glasses, etc.). Also, in the new place, put boxes in such a way that you can read the labels without having to move them around.
* use some clothes/towels as extra padding for stuff that can easily get damaged (plates/glasses, electronics, etc.)
* put clothes/books/electronics in plastic bags, so they won't get wet if it rains etc.
* disassemble furniture to make it easier to transport
* have drinks and snacks for the day you move. It's exhausting physically, and they really help. Nuts are great for this. Also if you buy bottled drinks, you won't have to leave glasses out.

I had also planned to take the opportunity to throw out stuff I didn't need any more, but never got around to it. You can also do so when unpacking, you'll have more time then. Bonus: if, a year after moving, some stuff is still in boxes, you know where to start
Old 09-08-17, 02:50 AM
Banned

DeannaDuarte is on a distinguished road

Yes, definitely you should hire movers, they do packing of all the stuffs.