ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-16, 03:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

jkimbo will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone here with ADHD and bipolar?

Diagnosed Bipolar back in 1987, never officially diagnosed ADHD but we have been discussing ADD and my pdoc is treating me for both. I've only been manic once in my life and that was in 87. My current pdoc feels BP2 is prolly a better fit however he said I do get manic a different way, total agitation and irritability, prong to get in arguments or even fights, I can get unrealistic too, so my BP diagnosis has not changed.

For the longest time I could not find a pdoc even willing to discuss ADD until recently. They all believed that BP produces similar symptoms and its really my BP to blame. I never believed that.
Old 04-28-17, 11:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

tinybike is a glorious beacon of lighttinybike is a glorious beacon of lighttinybike is a glorious beacon of lighttinybike is a glorious beacon of lighttinybike is a glorious beacon of light

I'm going through the diagnostic process for BD right now. It's confounding. I guess I feel the same way I did when I was going through my ADHD dx - it's a lot of "these symptoms are subjective and I hear you but you don't have any observable traits". I was on Trintellix for 3 weeks and have only in the last couple of days really levelled out - too bad my new pdoc wasn't able to see me last week!
Old 05-04-17, 06:45 AM

Thanked 1,311 Times in 537 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-bip...ptoms-overlap/

I was diagnosed with both, and I recieve treatment for both with seperate meds for each.

Stimulants don't make me manic, seasonal shifts usually do.

I found that bipolar symptoms can make my ADHD meds seem as though they are not working. The moodshift causes attentional changes which can not be adjusted with stimulants. This is why treating both and knowing the subtle differences is critical.

Hope that helps, but read the article as it can help provide you information on the differences.
Arei (05-07-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-17, 01:40 PM
Jr Member

BloopLoops is a jewel in the roughBloopLoops is a jewel in the roughBloopLoops is a jewel in the rough

I am Bipolar II (diagnosed 20 years ago) and am now completely convinced that I ADD or possibly ADHD. It is so painfully obvious, I think it has always been there but my wife feels that it has become much worse over the last few years. I am also Dyslexic and I always blamed my mistakes on that but now I see what is rely going on.
I am going to see me doctor next week to plead my case and try and get some meds for it ASAP. I am truly at the end of my rope with this crap. I have had to file with a disability at work and have had accommodations put into place. This process has been very difficult for me and is frankly humiliating in a professional setting. People say that ADD is a gift, I have a very hard time finding positives in this mess that is my head. I would do just about anything to be able to just do what I would like. Right now I am CONSTANTLY IN MY OWN WAY. Loosing it. Rant over.
Old 06-11-17, 04:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,463 Times in 13,373 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloopLoops View Post
I am Bipolar II (diagnosed 20 years ago) and am now completely convinced that I ADD or possibly ADHD. It is so painfully obvious, I think it has always been there but my wife feels that it has become much worse over the last few years. I am also Dyslexic and I always blamed my mistakes on that but now I see what is rely going on.
I am going to see me doctor next week to plead my case and try and get some meds for it ASAP. I am truly at the end of my rope with this crap. I have had to file with a disability at work and have had accommodations put into place.
If you didnt have a diagnosis yet, what reasons did you have to give to request accommodations? Was this a formal request with Human Resources?

Quote:
This process has been very difficult for me and is frankly humiliating in a professional setting.
Who all knows about your struggles at work?

I always caution people about ever revealing their adhd at work. In the US they can still fire you.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 06-19-17, 02:25 PM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,055 Times in 3,094 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute

Have both but gave up treating the ADD. Just not worth my time and trouble given that the Bipolar and anxiety are what ruin more days for me.
Old 11-04-17, 02:30 PM

Multi diagnoses is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Are you taking any antidepressants (SSRI, SNRI, tricylclics?) in my experience, lamictal or other lamictal-like mood stabilizers do not work without an antidepressant.
I agree. Iím new here but not to the psychotropic world. Found yíall while researching Mydayis, which I started YESTERDAY after years on Vyvance 70 mg Almost didnít take it today. I will post about that whole issue appropriately. Just wanted to affirm: yes, Lamictal is supposed to kind of ďboostĒ and work with another med, whether one aimed at bipolar in general, BP depression, anxiety and / or run-of-the-mill depression (lol). Lamictal has been my one constant fir 12 years since BP diagnosis. Take it! Problem is: take it with what?? Iíve tried them all and went back to basics on Wellbutrin. Doing better after a week. Then I started the Amy day is. I donít think this is a good combination. In fact, Iíve spent hours reading about Mydatis (instead of working-that says a lot!) and Iíve just realized that the ADHD meds really shouldnít be taken with antidepressants! I also suffer from PTSD, anxiety, and panic disorder. I think I need a new psychiatrist and to dry out and start over - perhaps more holistically. Oh - did I mention that I take 1 mg of Klinopin when I get too speedy or manic? And that Iím 12 years clean and sober from alcohol and cocaine addiction??
Anyone have any suggestions?? Now my attempt to help has become a cry for help! ... but Iíll bet someone understands...
Old 11-04-17, 05:14 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,463 Times in 13,373 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi diagnoses View Post
I agree. Iím new here but not to the psychotropic world. Found yíall while researching Mydayis, which I started YESTERDAY after years on Vyvance 70 mg Almost didnít take it today. I will post about that whole issue appropriately. Just wanted to affirm: yes, Lamictal is supposed to kind of ďboostĒ and work with another med, whether one aimed at bipolar in general, BP depression, anxiety and / or run-of-the-mill depression (lol). Lamictal has been my one constant fir 12 years since BP diagnosis. Take it! Problem is: take it with what?? Iíve tried them all and went back to basics on Wellbutrin. Doing better after a week. Then I started the Amy day is. I donít think this is a good combination. In fact, Iíve spent hours reading about Mydatis (instead of working-that says a lot!) and Iíve just realized that the ADHD meds really shouldnít be taken with antidepressants! I also suffer from PTSD, anxiety, and panic disorder. I think I need a new psychiatrist and to dry out and start over - perhaps more holistically. Oh - did I mention that I take 1 mg of Klinopin when I get too speedy or manic? And that Iím 12 years clean and sober from alcohol and cocaine addiction??
Anyone have any suggestions?? Now my attempt to help has become a cry for help! ... but Iíll bet someone understands...
I have bipolar II and adhd (among other things). For the BP I take : cymbalta, lamictal, buspar and geodon. I was given this combo the last time I was inpatient and It saved my life and is what I take today 14 years later. For the adhd I take adderall xr 20mg 3x a day and 1 20mg adderall Ir 1x a day. I had to get the bipolar stabilized before my doc would even consider adderall. I have been in treatment for bipolar for about 15 years and have been taking adhd meds for 13 years.
Yes, there are warnings about people with bipolar or on antidepressants taking stimulants. Thats because in some bipolar people the stimulants can flip them into mania. In some tough cases it can even cause stimulant psychosis but IME thats very rare Ive only seen it when someone hasnt been stable on bipolar meds. So saying that stimulants shouldnt be taken with antidepressants is not something I would agree with.
Congrats on your sobriety. Ill have 5 years on December 12.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.