ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 11-19-17, 09:41 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Can anxiety be inherited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
This is very interesting. I had never thought of OCD as being related to anxiety.

OCD and Obsessive compulsive personality disorder (s) are under the "Anxiety disorders Umbrella"

The sequelae of the OCD behavior, is argued by -some- do be a defensive mechanism that helps us (as paradoxical as this sounds) actually relieve anxiety. But I know, I am getting way too Freudian here...

I contend the phenomena is difficult to understand,

For any research attempting to explain it, you will find, invariably, another article stating the opposite.

I suffer from severe OCD, and, it is a nightmare
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wonderboy For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-19-17), WhiteOwl (11-19-17)
Old 11-19-17, 11:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,042 Times in 462 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic
it sounds like you were a very brave and thoughtful little girl trying to protect your sister. that your father harshly criticized you sounds like verbal and maybe emotional abuse to me. i suspect there's a very strong link between suffering abuse as a child and developing some type of anxiety.
Yes, my sister still remembers me taking her away from the fighting and she said she is grateful for it. I do have some guilt that I left for the AF when she was about 9 yrs old. I was like a second mother to her and she had to go through a lot of dysfunctional stuff that I didn't have to go through. She has depression and anxiety now. I'm not sure how much of it is biological and how much is environmental, but I know she has had a lot of trouble dealing with the things our dad has done. I only recently realized that what he did was verbally and emotionally abusive and I only recently realized how much of an effect it had and still has on me.

Quote:
with your parents having anxiety or not, just keep in mind things can skip generations and show up when least expected. there's a history of substance abuse (alcoholism, specifically) in my husband's family despite neither parent struggle with it and my husband also not. my brother-in-law, however, was a very high functioning very serious alcoholic who, when found out, had to detox for several weeks in the hospital. so...it could be somewhere or it could be the result of trauma and other things.
Yes, I have heard this before. My parents didn't have problems with substance abuse, but family members on both sides of the family have dealt with it, mostly my dad's side, which has the most issues. Thankfully, my husband and I didn't have to deal with substance abuse and I hope our kids won't have to deal with it.

Quote:
is your anxiety being addressed with medication and/or therapy? i have not only ADHD and OCD, but another diagnosis. and the latter two i'm currently treated for (i will be treated for my adhd again once i've been out of hospital and stable a minimum of six months...which is harder than you might imagine for me). anyway, for OCD and my other scene i take five medications and do weekly therapy plus i'm registered thrice weekly for group (that i'm not exactly obliged, but ideally/supposed to attend, but don't always). some are more helpful than others. but medication has absolutely reduced the amount of intrusive thoughts i have by at least 75%. which is huge for me because they are one of the things that give me suicidal urges when they're untreated.
I am seeing both a therapist and psychiatrist, but I'm not sure how much the coaching is helping yet. I recently got bumped up to 10 mg on Lexapro and I'm not sure if I will get bumped up again. I think it is definitely helping. The main area I notice it helping, is in class. For most of my life, whenever I have to say anything in class, even if it's only one sentence and I'm not standing in front of the class, I start having a panic attack (shortness of breath, heart racing, confusion, palms sweating, etc.). Or when the doorbell rings unexpectedly, same thing with the heart racing and stuff. Little things like that. But since starting the Lexapro, that hasn't happened. I still get nervous about some things, but I don't think I've had a panic attack at all since starting the medication. I think it has made it a little easier to approach/talk to people, too, but I need to practice that a little more to tell for sure.

I'm glad your medication is helping you so much. It really is amazing what the right med(s) can do. That must be difficult to make the time for such frequent therapy, but I'm glad you are doing it if it helps. I feel like I should go in more frequently than I do, but it's so easy to make excuses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-20-17), peripatetic (11-20-17)
Old 11-19-17, 11:58 PM

Thanked 32,245 Times in 14,566 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

glad the lexapro is helping!

i know it's hard not to imagine your sister's life being different if you'd done different things, but the blame for abusing her rests squarely with your parents; it wasn't your fault it was done to you and you aren't responsible for it being done to her. i'm just saying...

i don't always go to all of my groups. i do show up for my individual therapy appointments once a week and i now have to see my psychiatrist once a week until i'm fully titrated up and then stable on the latest addition to my medications (not for OCD), but it's exhausting to do everything every week. i have done a lot of PHP and IOP and those are just ...yeah, exhausting. i'd rather just be in the hospital, frankly. but not so much now because i have the small girl. but if not for her...

anyway, didn't want to mislead. i'm not the best at attending group. i'm *registered* three times a week (one OCD, one RSR, one psychosis) and i would say i dislike RSR and avoid it the most, and the other two are maybe half of the month each.

i hope the therapy ends up being more useful than you can currently imagine. xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-20-17), WhiteOwl (11-20-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-17, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,042 Times in 462 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
glad the lexapro is helping!

i know it's hard not to imagine your sister's life being different if you'd done different things, but the blame for abusing her rests squarely with your parents; it wasn't your fault it was done to you and you aren't responsible for it being done to her. i'm just saying...

i don't always go to all of my groups. i do show up for my individual therapy appointments once a week and i now have to see my psychiatrist once a week until i'm fully titrated up and then stable on the latest addition to my medications (not for OCD), but it's exhausting to do everything every week. i have done a lot of PHP and IOP and those are just ...yeah, exhausting. i'd rather just be in the hospital, frankly. but not so much now because i have the small girl. but if not for her...

anyway, didn't want to mislead. i'm not the best at attending group. i'm *registered* three times a week (one OCD, one RSR, one psychosis) and i would say i dislike RSR and avoid it the most, and the other two are maybe half of the month each.

i hope the therapy ends up being more useful than you can currently imagine. xx
Well, I don't blame you for not making it to every group session. That is just a lot for anyone to handle. But it sounds like you are doing your best, and that's all one can do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-20-17), peripatetic (11-20-17)
Old 11-24-17, 06:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Genetically, everyone inherits a primitive FEAR system in our brains, that generates a type anxiety.

M
Old 11-24-17, 07:50 PM

Thanked 23,964 Times in 11,087 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Genetically, everyone inherits a primitive FEAR system in our brains, that generates a type anxiety.

M
I believe White Owl is discussing Anxiety Disorder, not ordinary anxiety.

Do you know why in some of us that ordinary anxiety response becomes so
overwhelming?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 11-24-17, 08:59 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I believe White Owl is discussing Anxiety Disorder, not ordinary anxiety.

Do you know why in some of us that ordinary anxiety response becomes so
overwhelming?
1) more sensitive inherited temperament, and 2) secondary conditioning?

M