ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 11-18-17, 04:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
How long to try Vynanse before considering something else?

It's my second day on 20mg of Vynanse, and these have been my side effects so far:

- Flatulence
- Fatigue
- 'A foggy head'
- Apathy
- Difficulty articulating my thoughts

Whilst I would only give IR ritalin 6/10 for its overall performance and efficacy, Vynanse has been completely useless so far. I know it's very early days but most people seem to state that they feel almost euphoric on their first few days on Vynanse; this has not been the case at all for me. I am struggling to comprehend why it's considered to be a much smoother and safer stimulant than that of ritalin. My ADHD symptoms have returned in a more pronounced manner than ever and I was perilously close to wetting myself this morning.

Needless to say, it's been an utterly dreadful experience so far. I haven't gotten anything done at all and my relationship with my partner has weakened because I have been too spaced out to engage in meaningful conversation.

I'm beginning to fear I will be unemployed forever.
Old 11-19-17, 06:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,559 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long to try Vynanse before considering something else?

You should know almost right away if vyvanse works for you. In fact I personally would give it a week and go back to the doctor. Stimulants work right away so you would know if
they were going to be good or bad for you. They do not need to build up in your system.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (11-19-17)
Old 11-19-17, 08:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
You should know almost right away if vyvanse works for you. In fact I personally would give it a week and go back to the doctor. Stimulants work right away so you would know if
they were going to be good or bad for you. They do not need to build up in your system.
Is it not true though that you are more likely to experience quite pronounced side effects if the dose is either too low or high?

20mg does seem to be rather low to me; it's certainly quite a marked drop in stimulation from taking 20mg of IR methylphenidate.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-17, 10:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

KitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to all

Gosh, I would be frustrated too with those kinds of side effects. I can only speak from my personal experience, but I have the complete opposite reaction when I take Vyvanse. Soon after I take my dose in the morning, the fog lifts, my motivation increases, and I feel ready to face the challenges of the day. I started off on 30 mg. Now I take 40mg. I would certainly talk to your doctor about what your are currently experiencing. Maybe you need a higher dose, or maybe it's just not the right medicine for you. Sure hope you are able to find a resolution soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to KitCat For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (11-19-17)
Old 11-19-17, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

As a relative newbie to the whole stimulant scene, I am in no position to say if the dose is too low or high. But even after just three days on Elvanse, I do have my suspicions that it's not the drug for me. I haven't done squat for the past three days but fart, eat, pace around, stare into space and mindlessly browse the web. Maybe I am in the minority but I feel somewhat more secure when taking an IR form of stimulant.

I feel a very slight increase in focus on Vynanse for maybe 5-6 hours but I don't quite feel myself on it and by 5pm I just want to sleep...yet can't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
KitCat (11-21-17)
Old 11-20-17, 08:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

.....I will be speaking to a doctor tomorrow about Elvanse but my next medication review isn't until the 5th December.

My body is now exhibiting a new side effect.....cold sweats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
KitCat (11-21-17)
Old 11-21-17, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

KitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
I feel a very slight increase in focus on Vynanse for maybe 5-6 hours but I don't quite feel myself on it and by 5pm I just want to sleep...yet can't.
Mine only lasts for about that long too. At first this concerned me. After discussing it with my doctor, he increased my dosage to 40 mg. I feel this dosage is more on target for me. And, actually, I am personally ok with it tapering off toward the end of the day. I can wind down after a busy day and have no problem falling asleep. This is a huge plus for me as I suffered from insomnia before taking Vyvanse. My brain would not shut off long enough for me to fall asleep.

My doctor suggested trying Strattera next if I wasn't happy with the 40 mg dosage. He said I wouldn't have immediate effects with Strattera since it isn't a stimulant, so it would have to build up in my system, but that once it did the effects would not subside as they do with Vyvanse. Not sure if you have tried Strattera, but just thought I'd mention it since my doctor did suggest it.

Again, so sorry that you are having such adverse effects. Hope your appointment goes well today.
The Following User Says Thank You to KitCat For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (11-21-17)
Old 11-21-17, 01:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Though the side effects have now diminished, my thoughts are still rather muddled and cloudy.

My psychiatrist today said that they had to start me off on 20mg because I had so many nosebleeds on the ritalin. Unfortunately it looks like I will be stuck on the 20mg until my next review, which is on the 4th December. The temptation is to combine it with 20mg of ritalin but she strongly advised against that during the titration period.

On such a low dose, it's difficult to fathom how I will make a good impression during my two job interviews next week.
Old 11-21-17, 05:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,614 Times in 10,440 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Nosebleeds can happen from breathing air that hasn't enough humidity in it also.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969