ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 05-21-18, 12:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
How to get the best bang for buck desktop

I want a windows desktop computer for virtual reality video games. How can I get the best bang for buck? Build the computer from scratch with used components (never done before but am willing to learn if it will save me money)? Just buy a used computer that already meets my criteria?

I'm a little afraid with all the crypto mining going on these days that used desktops and component parts will have been used too much even when they physically look in good condition. Is there a way check usage of desktops?

I need a desktop with NVIDIA GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater graphics card. I'd like it to have an i7 or equivalent AMD CPU. 8 MB RAM min. I need a 256 GB SSD plus 1 TB HDD min. 4 usb 3.0 ports, 1 usb 2.0 port, 2 hdmi ports min.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-18, 11:07 AM

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get the best bang for buck desktop

The best and fastest way to find such a machine is from someone selling a used system they built themself, usually from the kind of bleeding-edge builder or gamer who lets go of a year-old system so they can have the latest and greatest build.

These systems are often quite powerful, and on offer at significant discount.

If you are willing to build your own system, you can buy parts as they are available on sale, and in the end, save a lot of money on a top-notch (for your desired goal) system.

I built a computer for work this way (still in use now), and it took me 3 months to get all the parts, but I paid about $1200 for a build that would have otherwise been $2000 if bought all at the same time.

Systems that have lived their lives (up to a point) doing heavy crunching, whether for crypto mining, or otherwise, don’t end up being too used. True, heat shortens the life of electronics, but usage like that culls out the marginal pieces, and you are left with solid performers that have years of life left. And given the forward march of technology, systems will likely become usefully moribund long before they physically die.

The use/system you describe dictates where you need to spend money, and where you do not. Perhaps needless to say, but you need to put the majority of your budget into a video card or cards. Consider getting two slightly lesser graphics cards (with attendant discount from top-of-the-line) and run them in parallel for greater overall performance.

The latest generation (8th gen) Intel CPUs have brought features that were previously high-end to the middle-market offerings, e.g., the Intel i5 now has 6 cores, and hyperthreading.

Lots to think about and consider, but you can build a true rockbox these days for a good price, especially if you can take some time to do a build or wait for the right system to come up for sale.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (05-22-18), namazu (05-22-18)
Old 05-22-18, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
The best and fastest way to find such a machine is from someone selling a used system they built themself, usually from the kind of bleeding-edge builder or gamer who lets go of a year-old system so they can have the latest and greatest build.

These systems are often quite powerful, and on offer at significant discount.

If you are willing to build your own system, you can buy parts as they are available on sale, and in the end, save a lot of money on a top-notch (for your desired goal) system.

I built a computer for work this way (still in use now), and it took me 3 months to get all the parts, but I paid about $1200 for a build that would have otherwise been $2000 if bought all at the same time.

Systems that have lived their lives (up to a point) doing heavy crunching, whether for crypto mining, or otherwise, don’t end up being too used. True, heat shortens the life of electronics, but usage like that culls out the marginal pieces, and you are left with solid performers that have years of life left. And given the forward march of technology, systems will likely become usefully moribund long before they physically die.

The use/system you describe dictates where you need to spend money, and where you do not. Perhaps needless to say, but you need to put the majority of your budget into a video card or cards. Consider getting two slightly lesser graphics cards (with attendant discount from top-of-the-line) and run them in parallel for greater overall performance.

The latest generation (8th gen) Intel CPUs have brought features that were previously high-end to the middle-market offerings, e.g., the Intel i5 now has 6 cores, and hyperthreading.

Lots to think about and consider, but you can build a true rockbox these days for a good price, especially if you can take some time to do a build or wait for the right system to come up for sale.

Cheers,
Ian
Thanks a lot. I think I'll look for a used custom. Very interesting about the graphics card linking and the new 8th gen CPUs.

I really don't know a thing about desktops right now so buying a complete used and then replacing pieces of it as time goes by is easier for me right now. Hopefully someday I'll become more knowledgable in desktops.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-22-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-18, 05:10 PM

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Thanks a lot. I think I'll look for a used custom. Very interesting about the graphics card linking and the new 8th gen CPUs.

I really don't know a thing about desktops right now so buying a complete used and then replacing pieces of it as time goes by is easier for me right now. Hopefully someday I'll become more knowledgable in desktops.
If you want to run anything by me, just PM.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 05-23-18, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
If you want to run anything by me, just PM.

Cheers,
Ian
Thanks a lot. I may take you up on that.