ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-17, 03:31 PM
Jr Member

Mom2tnx is on a distinguished road
IEP or 504 Plan

Hello,

I'm new to the board. My 14 year old, soon to be high schooler was just diagnosed with ADD. I initiated the testing because of his issues with focusing, organizational skills, forgetfulness etc. He's very well behaved in school, scores high on test/state exams, honor Math student and is an overall A-B student, however as the workload increased it became harder for him to keep up. Frustrations, fighting, punishments, constant following up with him, constant emailing of teachers to make sure he was turning everything in, etc. I tried to address my concerns with the school, and while they were supportive no one thought he had an issue...mainly issues with handing in homework assignments, completing projects on time, etc. So I addressed it privately. He started seeing a therapist a few months ago (feeling overwhelmed with school work, rules around the house, etc.) and both she and I felt he needed to be evaluated for ADHD. He was diagnosed by both a psychiatrist and a neurologist.

I've done a ton of research....but would love to hear some personal opinions as well. Some of my suggestions for him are for more time on tests, homework, sitting in front of class, making sure he writes down assignments, calendar of due dates in advance, regular communication with parents, etc.

Should I request a 504 plan or an IEP for him? He had an IEP for a speech delay from the age of 4 years old until 6 years old.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Mom2tnx For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-01-17)