ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 05-21-10, 11:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

vja4Him will become famous soon enough
My son already has a 504 Plan, since 6th grade (for almost two years now) thanks to his previous therapist, who was absolutely awesome! We had to be really aggressive and persuasive to get the 504 Plan.

My son's 6th grade teacher was on the ball and very willing to make any accommodations to help my son. The elementary school even allowed my son to have time out whenever he needed, and a snack for his hypoglycemia. They would find him a quiet place where he could calm down, meditate, relax, which helped him greatly to focus and get his work done.

The previous junior high school was not as accommodating, but much better than the junior high school where he is attending now. I am very disappointed at the unprofessional attitude from some of the teachers and the vice-principal.

Can anyone give me some specific strategies and requests that I should request to update my son's 504 Plan?

I'm looking for specifics that I can write down, and take with me to the next meeting. One example that I already have is that I need to add to the 504 Plan that the teachers will mail any make-up work to our home, or send an e-mail with the assignment if it is something that doesn't require any handouts. The school provides extra set of school books to keep at home, which is helpful.

My son will also need a restricted PE note from the doctor. We are going to the doctor next Tuesday. I will request this from the doctor. My son cannot meet the requirements that his PE teacher expects from him. In fact, the PE teacher made fun of my son in an e-mail message she sent to me! I still have that e-mail message. I will be printing out all of the messages that I have sent to the school, and the messages that I have received.

The PE teacher told me that she could walk the mile faster than my son can run! I've tried to tell them that my son has problems with his feet. He has complained numerous times, but they take the attitude that my son is lazy, or lying, and trying to get out of PE.

I asked for an apology from the teacher. They have never replied to me. I also sent a copy of the e-mail request for an apology to the vice-principal. She has not responded to that issue (it's been several weeks now since the incident).

Last edited by Lady Lark; 05-22-10 at 01:38 PM..
Old 05-21-10, 11:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Re: ADHD and 504 Plan ...

Some specifics regarding my son's ADHD:

He gets distracted very easily, has serious trouble concentrating, remembering things. Everyday he loses stuff, gets side-tracked; has problems daydreaming, focusing, paying attention, staying on task.

I try really hard to help him, but I have to babysit him for everything he does at home. I constantly remind him of literally everything he needs to do -- washing dishes, wiping the table, washing his clothes, putting his clothes in the dryer, taking his clothes out of the dryer, putting his clothes away, putting dirty clothes in the hamper, putting food away, putting his stuff away, when to go to bed, get him up in the morning, remind him of his homework, etc ......

I have ADD myself, just like my oldest son, father, and other family members. I've learned the hard way how to deal with my ADD. I only found out a few years ago while in college when somebody did a presentation about ADD.
Old 05-21-10, 11:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

I e-mailed a request to all of my son's teachers (also sent copy of the message to the vice-principal) that they send me a weekly progress report for my son.

None of the teachers sent me a progress report for my son!!! Not even one of them. And they didn't even respond to my request for a weekly progress report. I know that this is a reasonable request, because I work as a substitute teacher, and I see weekly progress reports (and sign them!) at many schools where I work.

I will have to add this to our 504 Plan too .....
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-10, 12:00 AM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a reason why you're proceeding under a 504 plan as opposed to an IEP (individualized education program), under the IDEA(individuals with disabilities education improvement act)?

The latter typically provides more options, and more protections, than a 504 plan. Specifically, it provides for safeguards that, while not perfect or always followed, do often make it easier to proceed without a lawyer/advocate than it would be under 504.

Have you asked that he be evaluated for special education? That's typically the first step toward getting an IEP.

Either way, getting help, or even advice, from an advocate or attorney would probably be a good idea. There are low cost or free options in many areas, although there can be more demand than supply, but it couldn't hurt to try.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (05-22-10), Imnapl (05-22-10), vja4Him (05-22-10)
Old 05-22-10, 12:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSJ View Post
Is there a reason why you're proceeding under a 504 plan as opposed to an IEP (individualized education program), under the IDEA(individuals with disabilities education improvement act)?

The latter typically provides more options, and more protections, than a 504 plan. Specifically, it provides for safeguards that, while not perfect or always followed, do often make it easier to proceed without a lawyer/advocate than it would be under 504.

Have you asked that he be evaluated for special education? That's typically the first step toward getting an IEP.

Either way, getting help, or even advice, from an advocate or attorney would probably be a good idea. There are low cost or free options in many areas, although there can be more demand than supply, but it couldn't hurt to try.
I have requested an IEP, but the elementary school didn't think it was necessary. We really had to pull teeth just to get a meeting for a 504 Plan, and the school forgot to complete the paper work.

I will make a note and request an IEP. I don't think my son qualifies for Special Education though, and I would really prefer that he stay in mainstream classes.

He is very intelligent, reads at a much higher level than most of his peers. He talks to adults on a very high level, and surprises most adults that he converses with!

He just needs special accommodations to help him focus, and get his work finished.
Old 05-22-10, 01:03 AM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

An IEP doesn't mean special classes, it just requires the school to document how it's addressing your son's individual learning needs resulting from his disabilities, and gives you certain rights.

In fact, the IDEA contains a strong preference (known as the least restrictive environment [LRE] mandate) for educating students with disabilities with their mainstream peers to the maximum extent possible.

I had an IEP from elementary through middle school and was never placed in special classes. In high school I had improved enough to switch to a 504 plan, but the accommodations required by my successive IEPs had been fewer and fewer, so the change in my school experience was actually quite minimal.

The school cannot simply refuse to evaluate your son for an IEP, and if it does evaluate him, and then refuses, you may have the right to have independent evaluations conducted at public expense, or challenge their determination in a hearing.

This website, from your area, gives what seems to be a good overview of the IEP process: http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/513001.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-22-10), vja4Him (05-22-10)
Old 05-22-10, 02:08 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

OnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to behold

Both my sons have IEP's and while the youngest is sometimes pulled out into the special education class, they're in the mainstream classes otherwise. My elder DS has accomodations like getting an Alpha Smart (a wordprocessor/keypad thingy to do his writing with) because he also has very poor fine motor skills. He also gets extra time on tests because he freezes up with stress if he's being timed. I recommend reading the sticky at the top of this forum about IEP's and 504's; I still find them a bit confusing!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OnlyMe For This Useful Post:
APSJ (05-22-10), Imnapl (05-22-10), vja4Him (05-22-10)
Old 05-22-10, 02:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post
Both my sons have IEP's and while the youngest is sometimes pulled out into the special education class, they're in the mainstream classes otherwise. My elder DS has accomodations like getting an Alpha Smart (a wordprocessor/keypad thingy to do his writing with) because he also has very poor fine motor skills. He also gets extra time on tests because he freezes up with stress if he's being timed. I recommend reading the sticky at the top of this forum about IEP's and 504's; I still find them a bit confusing!
Where exactly is the sticky?
Old 05-22-10, 03:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,931 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

This school is BS'ing you totally. People need to put it in writing that they are requesting an evaluation for an IEP to the school. As long as it's not in writing they will deny they got the request. They have to do an evaluation within 30 days of receiving a request but if its not on paper it's deniable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
APSJ (05-22-10), vja4Him (05-22-10)
Old 05-22-10, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

OnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to behold

RE: Sticky

When you open this forum, at the very top you see the announcements, then just below the announcements are the stickies. There are three stickies, the one you want is the middle one.
The Following User Says Thank You to OnlyMe For This Useful Post:
vja4Him (05-22-10)
Old 05-22-10, 11:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
This school is BS'ing you totally. People need to put it in writing that they are requesting an evaluation for an IEP to the school. As long as it's not in writing they will deny they got the request. They have to do an evaluation within 30 days of receiving a request but if its not on paper it's deniable.
What about sending a request via e-mail? I just e-mailed the vice-principal last night requesting an IEP. I don't see how the school can deny that. I should have sent copies of that message to several other administrators .... I can still print out the request and just drop it off myself at the school and hand-deliver the request for an IEP to the vice-principal, and remind her that they have 30 days to act.

Does that 30 day stipulation apply even when school closes down for the summer?

In an earlier message the vice-principal had told me that it would be better to wait until the new school year already has started (in August) before we meet to revise my son's 504 Plan.

I can see some advantages to meeting with the new teachers, yes, but I want to get the ball rolling before then, and have at least some of the revisions in place long before school begins.

I also want the school to do an IEP on my son. I can see now that we should have pursued the IEP several years ago.

My son suffers from very serious emotional trauma, on top of his serious problem with ADHD and various medical issues (like hypoglycemia really, really bad!, and other medical problems ...).
Old 05-22-10, 06:38 PM
Contributor

insight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to behold

You can't "request an IEP". You have to request that your son be evaluated by the school psychologist to see whether he qualifies for special education. Special education, by the way is a service, not a place. Students who qualify for special education under one of the specified categories, (learning disability, speech and language impairment, autism, emotional support, "other health impaired" to name a few) require, by definition, "specially designed instruction" which is specified in the IEP. The IEP would also state any accomodations the student needs, such as extra time for testing, or testing in a quiet place, or 2-minute breaks between subjects or whatever.

In my state, the school district has 60 school days to respond to the parent's written, signed request. Sorry, an e-mail won't cut it...
Old 05-25-10, 12:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
Is this the same for all of the USA?

Phaedrus

Old 05-26-10, 08:12 PM
Contributor

insight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to behold

In PA, the parent sends a letter to the school requesting an evaluation, the district must respond by sending the parent a "consent to evaluate" form. Once the parent signs the consent form, the district has 60 calendar days to complete the evaluation and provide a copy to the parent. The 60 calendar days does not include the summer. The "countdown" stops on the last day of the school year, and then starts up again at the beginning of the new school year.
The Following User Says Thank You to insight needed For This Useful Post:
vja4Him (05-26-10)
Old 05-26-10, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insight needed View Post
In PA, the parent sends a letter to the school requesting an evaluation, the district must respond by sending the parent a "consent to evaluate" form. Once the parent signs the consent form, the district has 60 calendar days to complete the evaluation and provide a copy to the parent. The 60 calendar days does not include the summer. The "countdown" stops on the last day of the school year, and then starts up again at the beginning of the new school year.
I haven't been sent or given anything from the school regarding my request for an evaluation. One of the administrators told me that he thought they might not be able to begin the evaluation process for my son until the new school years begins in August. Next Thursday is the last day of school, and our meeting is not until Wednesday, one day before the last day of school.

At least we are getting the process started .... I do want to update my son's 504 Plan, because my son will be attending summer school, which starts on June 7th, so the school will still need to make the necessary accommodations for my son during summer school, and at least the upgraded 504 Plan will be in place before the new school year begins, at which time I can meet with all of my son's new teachers, get the evaluation, and begin the process for an IEP.
The Following User Says Thank You to vja4Him For This Useful Post:
APSJ (05-26-10)