ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-09, 12:07 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough
Re: High Startle Reflex Anyone?

Haha, It's good to know that it's common with ADD'ers to be hypersensitive

I've always had a way too strong sense of smell, which drives me nuts. Any sort of snoring, lip smacking, or repetitive noises (dripping faucets) will make me absolutely murderous within seconds.

BUT, to go along with thread's title, I AM EXTREMELY easily startled. In fact it's become quite the past time for my coworkers to startle me when they walk by my department. I'm so damn bored all day that most of the time I'm back there I'm in my own little la la land, and the tiniest things will jerk me out of my daydreaming very violently. Just someone calming saying "Hi" will make me jump. It must make people think I'm up to no good....to be so jumpy all the time....
Old 02-08-09, 02:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

hummm i reatc less myself soooo i look for that kind buzz so to speak but i do understand! from other things i suffferrrr argophbira issss much likewhat your tlking about and faer hights and needls soooooo theres no easy way around it i take mints i do when iam feeling like this to defr my attaion eles were dorm
Old 02-08-09, 03:11 PM

Thanked 27,525 Times in 13,325 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I'm easily startled, even at home; I usually jump & say aah! (but not really yell out) if I don't hear my husband coming (he still thinks this is hilarious - I mean, we live in an apartment...).
my friend's Dad once startled me (on purpose), when my friend & I were young. We were making a snack in the kitchen - I was buttering an English muffin and threw a knife full of butter right into her hair!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-09, 04:13 PM
Forum Guru

INaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of light

I've never noticed this thread. This is totally me!! I get so irritable when I hear loud unexpected noises .. my kiddo is notorious for doing this too. I get easily startled (and squeal). I get the "you're so jumpy" comment all the time.
Old 09-24-09, 12:48 AM

ladyditz is on a distinguished road

Yaaaay--
I am soooo thankful to Google for making the link to this thread high enough to find before my getting sidetracked to something else. I decided to "research" extreme startle reflex after DH's claiming, "That violent a reaction is not normal" (I screamed and jumped at hearing his voice less than a foot behind me.)

Hah! I printed out no less than 3 pages of the comments from this thread for his "reading pleasure," and dang it if I don't test it on him later, too! (Old teaching habits die hard.) I know 3 pages might have been overkill, but as usual I couldn't help myself. At least I didn't give him the whole 9 pages I'd collected from various places. (I've only been Dx'd ADHD, but he swears I'm OCD also . . . )

It's not like the extreme reaction was the first time it has happened, either, but he just doesn't "get it" despite going to the neuropsych with me several times to have the way I am explained to him and how to cope with me. I'm thankful he loves me in spite of my ADHD.

OK--thanks for letting me babble a bit.
Old 12-03-09, 08:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

madelefant is on a distinguished road

I have an extremely high startle response. Just about anything new or sudden puts me in overload. I think it is a great problem when doing almost anything because startle response puts you into fight or flight which is run or fight. When you at work and someone says something obnoxious to you and this puts you into it (yes, mental panic can trigger it) you can't think straight. It also means that any amount of teasing or agitating by persons can knock you completely off your game.
There is no thing endowed with life—from man, who is enslaving the elements, to the nimblest creature—in all this world that does not sway in its turn. Whenever action is born from force, though it be infinitesimal, the cosmic balance is upset and the universal motion results. ---Nikolai Tesla
Old 12-30-15, 04:41 PM

loverainbow is on a distinguished road

This is me! I startle easily. I jumped. Squealed. I hate that people thinks I am just faking it. Stop scaring me for God sake.
Old 11-05-16, 09:42 PM

FinallyDxed! is on a distinguished road

It seems like some find noise physically painful while some are startled and or/feel anger/agitation. I am definitely the latter. I think the noise sensitivity is more anxiety and past trauma-related while the other sensory sensitivities were with me since I was a child and likely related to ADHD. Nothing is "painful" but definitely VERY uncomfortable and irritating...and distracting.
Old 11-05-16, 09:59 PM

Thanked 22,454 Times in 12,086 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a screamer. In a store, down the road, someone saying "hello" you'd think I've never been in public, if my name gets called waiting somewhere I just plant myself and scream.

So far it has been fairly receptive and not too out of hand. Loud, but quickly subdued. Then I smile.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-12-16), Simargl (11-05-16)
Old 11-07-16, 03:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice

This is a THING? Hell, I'm so easy to startle. I'm terrified that someone will think it's awesome to scare me, as some people in my office had a habit of scaring each other for awhile. (Fortunately not anymore.) Sometimes people just say my name loudly and I jump.
Old 11-12-16, 01:51 PM
Suspended Account

Wuvmy3kitties will become famous soon enough

I am the same way at work! But that's usually because it's so quiet. Ppl laugh about it and I've come to the place where I can, too.
Old 11-12-16, 07:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

I definitely have a high startle reflex for noises, or sudden movements. I can't stand the sound of a slammed door, dropped large item, or loud radios.
Smells don't seem to affect me as I don't have much of a smeller left. A sudden flash of light, someone interrupting me when I don't know they are there are other triggers. If I expect the noise to happen it is no big deal. It's the unexpected noises I jump at.

Sneaking up on me and surprising me might tend to be bad for a person. My bro did this once and got hit with a bowling ball. (Never sneak up behind someone about to drop their ball. )

If I unlock a supposedly empty room and walk in on someone there, my heart jumps a mile.

Old topic but good!
Old 11-12-16, 08:21 PM

Thanked 14,984 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

The combination of GAD, ADHD, Dexedrine, and a history of chronic trauma means I often jump like a bunny rabbit. Sometimes that comes with vocalization, and is potentiated by caffeine.

One particularly spectacular response at work in a group setting led to some gentle teasing, with someone asking "whoa, are you in federal witness protection, or something?"

Funny now, but I felt a bit embarrassed at the time because my startle response is well and truly far from what might be reasonably considered normative for a person, and I may know why, but I'm not keen on explaining the reasons to just anyone, so I remain a curious source of spectacular expression, and I only want to be that for those things I can choose and control, not for the things I cannot, and so remain at the mercy of.

Whaaa!,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-12-16), stef (11-12-16)
Old 11-12-16, 08:53 PM

Thanked 27,525 Times in 13,325 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

most people at work now know to say something when they.re near the door of my office or I.ll jump and give a slight shriek. very embarrassing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-12-16), Little Missy (11-12-16), Wuvmy3kitties (01-10-17)