ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 06-05-14, 10:21 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Anxiety

when there's a car both on my right and on my left i freak the **** out

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-19-14, 11:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,550 Times in 932 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

I live in Manhattan now and don't own a car, and I let my driver's license expire and it has been so long, the State wants me to take a new test and driver's test and everything like I was getting a license for the first time. So lately I've had to rent vehicles and depended on my mother, who has also moved to Manhattan so hadn't driven in at least 10 years, and she was scared to death! In fact, we got pulled over because a cop thought she was drunk and I said no, she's just crazy! LOL. But that has precipitated the need for me to renew my driver's license because Lord have mercy, she's even worse in Manhattan (the other thing was California).

Between us, I had to actually take over and risk getting arrested for driving with an expired license because she had reached the point of nervous breakdown. I drove like it was on rails, so of course I had no problems and was never pulled over.

So now I'm waiting for contact lenses (I have a weird prescription) to be delivered before I can go to the DMV and get my license back.

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
Old 07-24-14, 11:33 AM

Thanked 1,124 Times in 674 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Subways in New York make it easier to get around.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-14, 03:39 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Has anybody's gotten better?
Old 12-28-14, 05:40 PM

Thanked 22,363 Times in 12,041 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a menace on the road and I have to park so that I pull straight out. No backing up.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 12-28-14, 06:19 PM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
How is free floating anxiety connected to driving anxiety?
For me - I'm a card carrying agoraphobic mind you - free floating anxiety affects my driving in that while one is driving, one must maintain a state of alertness that's along a fine line between alert enough to be a safe driver, attentive to traffic and road conditions - but not in a state of uptight hyper-alertness about the possibility of making a driving error. This in itself is difficult enough.

The other thing that can happen is that I can become lulled into a sort of "autopilot" where I am handling the driving okay but that frees up my subconscious mind to ruminate on things going on in my life or the lives of those close to me, or world events - I have a wide range of potential worry topics then a panic attack is likely to get triggered.
Old 02-05-15, 09:19 PM

aystro will become famous soon enough

Spent more than a year taking driving classes (manual). Driving instructors only wanted to cash in and told me they cannot register me for the official exam because they are afraid I would fail and it would show up in their driving school stats ( I am in Europe ) which basically worsens their reputation to attract more clients. From the 4 driving schools only one signed me up for a mock exam ( isn't reflected in the driving school statistic ) which I didn't pass. They said I was not using the 3 mirrors well. And I actually agreed. I argued that the front frame of the car was in the way... I prefer a see through car. Due to curiosity I tried a lower level licence, the automatic... only women worked there for some reason. Passed the exam for the automatic 3 months later. But never drove ever again... Too much stress and feels deadly to me.
Old 02-12-15, 05:30 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,750 Times in 14,044 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't dare to try to pass my driving test, not after I nearly ended up lorry dinner on a roundabout
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 02-12-15, 08:40 PM

Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,181 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I'm a menace on the road and I have to park so that I pull straight out. No backing up.
Reversing senses on a car are a must.
Old 01-21-16, 12:55 AM

coffeesudoku has a spectacular aura aboutcoffeesudoku has a spectacular aura about

I also get ver anxious when I drive. I mean thinking about it makes me nervous because you're in a car that can kill someone and that's aways freaked me out. It's a very scary thing to be able to drive, and sometimes I feel like they just give anyone their license.
Old 09-30-18, 12:19 AM

I still suffer from anxiety