ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-24-19, 05:43 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Anyone here ever succeed in getting promoted to a management or leadership position?

Unlike myself that is and of course at every job I tend to hold onto for at least 3 years before moving on to a new one but in that time period I always end up getting passed up for promotion, no matter what I do and of course it's going to happen again where I'm at currently, no less someone with less experience than I have and even with that the boss will have me fixing his sloppy work.

The thing is hes a few years younger and more driven than I am, it also helps when you're personable unlike myself, nobody will come down on ya hard for messing up but god forbid that I mess up I'll never hear the end of it because why?

I was cursed with some learning disabilities and a kinda defective personality? Its a real downer knowing yet again someone else that might know less than I do is passing me up although I'm the one who has to fix his half *** workmanship because everyone knows I do neater work but never put Lloyd into any higher position, he can't pay attention nor read social cues nor likes to talk about the same retarded crap everyone else does.

This thread is a 2 part discussion though, I'm really curious to hear from anyone whos managed to get promoted into a manager/leadership position to whom has ADD or learning disabilities of some kind and to hear how'd ya do it?

Also, I'm starting to suspect maybe the reason I'm getting passed up isn't entirely 100% ADD but has more to do with all of my personality flaws and inability to read social cues.

Please let me hear some feedback via reply or via PM, this **** is going to really get to me if I don't hear any perspective on what I wrote, thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-24-19), namazu (05-24-19), stef (05-25-19)
Old 05-24-19, 10:44 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,315 Times in 7,808 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone here ever succeed in getting promoted to a management or leadership positi

I’ve been promoted into management and currently manage a business. The only reason is because I’ve been in the same field for 28 years. I got lucky getting an entry level position in my field when I was young. I had developed some bad but still effective ADHD coping skills and could fake it, til you make it.

OCD, anxiety, fear of failure, and being overly competitive is the only way, I’ve made it. I’ve worked very very hard but not very smart or efficient. It’s taken a great toll on my mental and physical health.

Being only motivated by anxiety and fear is no way to go through life.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 05-24-19 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Clarity ocd
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-26-19), aeon (05-24-19), Little Missy (05-25-19), namazu (05-24-19), stef (05-25-19)
Old 05-24-19, 11:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone here ever succeed in getting promoted to a management or leadership positi

At my last job, I got promoted into the position of Office Manager, but the only management I did was of a network of unruly computers and surly devices.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-26-19), Greyhound1 (05-24-19), Little Missy (05-25-19), namazu (05-26-19), stef (05-25-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-19, 09:09 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
One Manager's View

I think OP is probably right that ADD is not 100% to blame for this pattern of being passed over and/or undervalued despite doing good quality work. If he also has unaddressed learning disabilities, an awkward personal style, self-limiting attitudes, or just a gift for putting his foot in his mouth, any of these could definitely affect his chances of being promoted, especially if the new job involves dealing with customers or subordinates.

I spent the first 20 years of my working life as an employee in mostly large organizations, winning some promotions and losing some. The last 30 years I owned a small business and also ran a professional practice--so I couldn't get promoted, or fired! But I did hire, train, promote and fire quite a few people in that time. Our business never had more than 30 employees at the max, but I'm happy to say we had a reputation as a very good place to work.

Without knowing anything about the kind of workplace he is in, or the attributes needed by his organization for the management position he is wishing for, it would be easy for me to make a lot of wrong assumptions, based on my own limited experience. But first of all I think it's unfortunate if no one has come to speak with him about this situation and his role in the organization.

What I might call "difficult" or "oddball" employees who do good work for the organization are not all that rare, and they present an interesting challenge to management. Where can you put them where they will not ruffle any feathers (that you don't want to get ruffled), how can you let them know their current contribution is valued, and how can you coach them and give them opportunities to develop if they are so inclined?

You may not be able to promote them, but you certainly should not leave them alone with their suspicions about why others are being promoted ahead of them. If you handle this wrong, you end up with exactly the unstable and resentful situation OP describes. If you do it right, you may end up with an extremely loyal hardworking "NCO" type of employee who knows exactly where he fits in and what he does well that is valuable to others. Sometimes there may be a need for someone who is not trying to be popular, and this could be a good fit. Or if he is training others in addition to his own work, you give him a training bonus. If he is checking others' work you give him a quality control bonus. This is not rocket science, but then creative management is probably more rare than the unfortunate position in which OP is now suffering.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-27-19), Greyhound1 (05-26-19), Little Missy (05-26-19), namazu (05-26-19), stef (05-27-19)
Old 05-26-19, 09:59 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: One Manager's View

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
If you handle this wrong, you end up with exactly the unstable and resentful situation OP describes.
I'm pretty sure my superiors could care less if I'm resentful or not, long story but the guy 2nd in command there actually used to really despise me and thought I was a bad worker, I proved him wrong but dunno if it was enough for me to get promoted, we'll see. I'll be going on my 3rd year there so a little over three years I'll probably start looking for another job for I don't like to quit a job unless I've been there for three years.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-26-19), aeon (05-27-19), Little Missy (05-26-19), namazu (05-26-19), stef (05-27-19)