ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-04, 07:02 PM

theobjr is on a distinguished road
Keeping confidence level high despite ADD

Before I found about ADD I was constantly working on my confidence. Sometimes I feel confident and other times it disappears. When I found out that I have ADD, the times that I have been confident have been less frequent. I guess it seems as if I notice the symptoms in certain situations right then my confidence disappears. I then become nervous. Do any of you have any ADD friendly exercises or affirmations in order to keep my confidence level high despite noticing the ADD symtoms in a particular situation? Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 09-01-04, 07:57 PM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,057 Times in 3,094 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Me, too!

I've been working on "changing the tapes", so to speak. I always tell myself, "You're so stupid, you can't get anything right. You screw everything up. Calm down or you're REALLY going to mess up. Why can't you just keep it together? Where the H*LL did I put that, I'm such a flake!" and so on. I have always told myself those things because I didn't know there was a reason for the mistakes, or the forgetfullness, or the lack of focus, or the clumsiness or the myriad of other things I screwed up.

So now I have an explanation....but I still tell myself the negative things because I'm used to it. I believed it for so long. I guess that's what the forums are for. Reminding each other we are going to be OK, we are not stupid, there is a reason for our behavior, there are ways of coping, there is help. Maybe someday soon I will believe the truth, and not continue to tell myself the lies. If you're religious, I like the advice "Think about yourself with sober judgement", not too cocky, not self-annhilating, be reasonable.