ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 09-13-11, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Driving anxiety and slow processing speed

Do you think your driving aniety could be related to slow processing speed?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-19-11), PPerry (04-10-14)
Old 09-13-11, 07:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,265 Times in 617 Posts
grape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud ofgrape_ninja has much to be proud of
Re: Driving anxiety and slow processing speed

I don't know but I am going to be finding out in the morning ()......I'l get back to you.
Old 09-13-11, 11:25 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I noticed that when my bf was trying to teach me to drive, he was always saying "don'k look so long in your mirror checks". But if I did it like he showed me, nothing I saw in the mirrors had enough time to register as objects, let alone being able to recognize their speed or the intention of the drivers. He's like "Blindspot, mirror, mirror, mirror, blindspot.", and I'm still at the first blindspot.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-11, 01:20 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Have you gotten any faster at it
Old 09-14-11, 01:27 PM

pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, just kind of gave up on trying... I'm hoping that maybe with meds I might be able to handle the driving lessons better. I found it exhausting and really stressful. And this is despite the fact that my bf has the patience of Job.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-19-11)
Old 09-14-11, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechemignonne View Post
Nope, just kind of gave up on trying... I'm hoping that maybe with meds I might be able to handle the driving lessons better. I found it exhausting and really stressful. And this is despite the fact that my bf has the patience of Job.
I would do the things that work best for you
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (09-14-11)
Old 09-19-11, 08:42 AM

The more multplr lanes with roads the more confusing things get.
Old 09-19-11, 09:13 AM

Thanked 6,536 Times in 2,663 Posts
danelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond repute

When I am in my explorer I can't drive for sh*t. I get nervous,things happen too too fast. Everybody is flying way too fast for me down there.

When I am in the semi something magical happens. I am up high and in control and I have giant mirrors to help me see what's going on all around. I avoid driving in my explorer as much as possible.

I did just get a little motorhome and I just drove it for the first time this week. One good thing is its up high and easy to see the road ahead of me,but I am going to need to put bigger mirrors on it because I can't really see what's coming up along side me very well. Its important to use the mirrors but when they are too small you don't get a very good picture of what's coming up along side.

I just can't imagine driving in an itty bitty car anymore. I would have to stay off the interstates to stay alive.
The Following User Says Thank You to danelady For This Useful Post:
Lostmyshoe (09-20-11)
Old 09-19-11, 09:27 AM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

I am not sure how prevalent the inability to drive is in ADHD people. It must be higher logically from the usual symptoms of ADHD but has there been any studies done on it? Driving has become a subconcious action for me and requires next to no thought. When I first started driving i was scared and it took every ounce of my concentration but I eventually got over my anxiety after a few years and now no longer even think about it.

I actually enjoy driving more the faster I go because there is more action. I detest traffic with a passion unlike most people.
Old 09-19-11, 10:37 AM

From What We Know About ADHD and Driving Risk: A Literature Review, Meta-Analysis and Critique

Emphasis mine.

Quote:
The thirteen observational studies reviewed in this paper provide evidence of a relationship between ADHD and negative driving outcomes, with an average Relative Risk of 1.54. This relationship is evident to a greater extent in driving violations and citations than in MVCs, but this is likely due to the rarity of reported collisions, which should be especially apparent in younger age groups with less driving experience (Kweo & Kockelman, 2003). (...)

Observational evidence for the mechanisms through which ADHD affects driving risks has been less extensive and conclusive. Our review of deficits in cognitive abilities found evidence for inattentiveness, particularly visual inattentiveness and impulsiveness correlating with problem driving outcome. Slow processing and distractibility and problems with visual memory are also associated with negative driving outcomes. Theoretically, impulsivity leads to excessive speed and problems disengaging from risky strategic maneuvers which when combined with attention problems lead to late counter measures that would likely transact to magnify risk.

Mitch Hedberg

Old 09-19-11, 11:00 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

I was always a horrible driver and NEVER enjoyed i.

Since my anxiety, bipolar etc diagnosis I am on zombifying mood stabilisers and benzos, so I refuse to drive, although I am sufficiently lucid to be legally allowed to. I don't want to.

And it's definitely due to processing speed.

I am smart but sluggish... I went thru school and Uni with A's and B+'s... I never had trouble with KNOWING THE ANSWERS but I was always rushing to the last second to complete my work. 2 or 3 hours for an exam of a given length always seemed ridiculously too little.

Drivinbg is a real time activity where one shares the road with NT's. It's too much on a strain on me. And why would I want to be concentrating on something when I can take a bus or cab and doze or read or whatever?

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 09-19-11, 11:03 AM
Registered

Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechemignonne View Post
Yes. I noticed that when my bf was trying to teach me to drive, he was always saying "don'k look so long in your mirror checks". But if I did it like he showed me, nothing I saw in the mirrors had enough time to register as objects, let alone being able to recognize their speed or the intention of the drivers. He's like "Blindspot, mirror, mirror, mirror, blindspot.", and I'm still at the first blindspot.
Peche, maybe its cos Im tipsy, but I feel a strange connection to you right now. Driving was always one of my biggest nightmares

I suggest we be friends for 24 hrs based on this shared issue, then we can start fighting again?

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Blueranne (09-21-11)
Old 09-19-11, 11:39 AM

silver1347 will become famous soon enough

This is a useful thread for me. I've been diagnosed with ADHD-PI and OCD, and I don't feel safe driving, though I can. I often don't feel like I've had enough time at junctions to check all the bits of the road situation well enough before I have to move forward.

The question is - is that an OCD thing, i.e. the OCD is making me want to check and recheck something that basically I've checked enough already? Or is it an ADHD thing, and I'm actually correct in my judgement that I haven't obtained a clear enough understanding of the road situation from the first look round, and I really do need more time (more than is actually available) to make a decision to move forward?

I'm not very impulsive, certainly not in that situation, so I'm not worried about that side of it, so much as inattention, slow processing speed and so on and how they may affect driving. I just can't work out if my anxiety is unjustified (OCD) or justified (ADHD).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silver1347 For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (09-19-11), PPerry (04-10-14)
Old 09-19-11, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
Peche, maybe its cos Im tipsy, but I feel a strange connection to you right now. Driving was always one of my biggest nightmares

I suggest we be friends for 24 hrs based on this shared issue, then we can start fighting again?
I don't know about being "friends", because I don't trust you not to turn around even *within* the 24 hours and start name-calling.

But whatever. I really don't have a problem with you as long as you're not being a donkey's butt. And obviously we're going to share some experiences, we both have ADHD.

Just be careful of the effect of booze-goggles. Tomorrow you may sober up and be mortified that you were being nice to me.

As for driving, my bf has kind of given up on teaching me for now. I was hoping meds might help, but the more I read the more I think that meds will only help my impulsiveness, not my slow processing speed.

I'm just going to continue to thank the stars that the bf has a licence and the kindness to chauffeur me about. And rue the day he starts working again because then I don't know what I'll do.

Mitch Hedberg

The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Blueranne (09-21-11)
Old 09-19-11, 12:51 PM
Registered

Try learning to drive an automatic first. Its much easier, fewer things to concentrate on simultaneously.