ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 11-25-11, 11:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,123 Times in 673 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Driving anxiety and slow processing speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechemignonne View Post
Oh, I thought the issue was driving anxiety *caused* by slow processing speed.

For me it's more about whether it's the other ADHD symptoms: impulsiveness, distractibility, etc., causing my driving issues, or if it's slow processing speed, or both.
It is
Old 11-26-11, 12:03 AM
Jr Member

rivered314 is on a distinguished road
Re: Driving anxiety and slow processing speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechemignonne View Post
Oh, I thought the issue was driving anxiety *caused* by slow processing speed.

For me it's more about whether it's the other ADHD symptoms: impulsiveness, distractibility, etc., causing my driving issues, or if it's slow processing speed, or both.
I'm so glad I came across this thread. I am very much the same way with all the processing problems. That's why I never learned how to drive until recently I forced myself to. My problem is that I need someone in the passenger seat to tell me what to do. My license is kind of worthless right now
Old 11-26-11, 04:42 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivered314 View Post
I'm so glad I came across this thread. I am very much the same way with all the processing problems. That's why I never learned how to drive until recently I forced myself to. My problem is that I need someone in the passenger seat to tell me what to do. My license is kind of worthless right now
Do you live in a big city?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-11, 09:26 PM
Jr Member

rivered314 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Do you live in a big city?
No. But I don't live in a small city either. I would say it's just average. I hope that helps.
Old 11-27-11, 12:40 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

Quote:
Do you think your driving aniety could be related to slow processing speed?
I don't know; mine is related to my tendency to sometimes zone out if I'm doing something mindless.

I do have "slow processing speed" accoring to my neurologist.
Old 11-27-11, 05:55 PM

Anxiety can be very confusing to figure out at times
Old 12-22-11, 12:15 PM

This while thing scvares the heck out of me. It could affect my whole life if I move upstate
Old 01-01-12, 02:42 AM

absent minded is on a distinguished road

imagine someone with social anxiety, some type of daydreaming ADD, and slow processing speed

I have the SA for sure, but the daydreaming thing could be from coping with my asocial lifestyle, and the slow processing speed from brain atrophy from lack of use.

Hopefully the government will want to supe up the public transit systems... it's more green that way anyways and probably cheaper for the entire nation.
Old 01-02-12, 07:47 PM

Who want to be tied down to transit system
Old 01-11-12, 03:51 PM

Faramir has disabled reputation

I didn't start driving until a couple years ago. I failed the driving test twice before I got my license and I almost failed the third time.

Anxiety is a big problem for me when I'm driving. Where I live, speeding and tailgating are very common. My anxiety goes up when I look in my rear view mirror and see a car right behind me. I'd probably speed too but I can't afford a ticket lol.

Also, I got distracted often. There have been a couple times when I made a left turn when I wasn't supposed and nearly got into an accident. I've only gotten into one accident so far. Another time some A-hole rear ended me but no damage was one, fortunately.

So yeah, driving is pretty stressful for me. I live in suburbia though, so I pretty much have to drive if I wanna get around on my own.

Quote:
Who want to be tied down to transit system
I used to ride public transportation where I live and it was horrible.
Old 01-11-12, 04:50 PM
Contributor

emploding has a spectacular aura aboutemploding has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir View Post
I didn't start driving until a couple years ago. I failed the driving test twice before I got my license and I almost failed the third time.
I'm the same - I got my licence last year and I was 27. Although I failed 3 times and passed on my fourth :P The first time I just wasn't ready, I rushed to do the test and wasn't experienced enough. The second time I don't think I did anything wrong but he failed me on minor things. The third time my ADD got the better of me and I didn't see a sign indicating the speed change.

I get nervous when people tailgate me too, but I tend to have the passive-agressive approach of slowing down to **** them off. Sometimes it makes them realise being so close isn't going to get them where they are going any faster. It makes me feel better anyway :P

Dx: Bipolar II, ADD, DID, PTSD, Anxiety disorders, Eating disorder

Rx: Citalopram, Topamax, Ritalin
The Following User Says Thank You to emploding For This Useful Post:
Faramir (01-11-12)
Old 01-20-12, 04:05 PM

GregWeber is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Driving anxiety and slow processing speed

Quote:
I learned how to drive a stick shift, but the population wasn't like it is now. I wasn't in a big city
I learned on a stick too, and that's probably why I didn't learn to drive until I was in my early 20s. The stick + the overall fear about driving was just too much to handle along with high school

I agree that automatic transmissions are MUCH better for people with anxiety or attention deficit problems. Good point!
Old 01-20-12, 04:13 PM

GregWeber is on a distinguished road

Killing small children is always a good thing to avoid
Old 01-20-12, 09:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

cameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have many impairments driving in general, although I have made a few potentially serious mistakes because I wasn't paying attention (running red light, turning the wrong way on to a one way street, changing lanes, drifting into another lane). I'm not anxious at all while driving, or no more than I am when I'm not. I can drive manual but I learned with an auto.

One thing that I tend to do quite a bit is load up on caffeine if I have to drive for a long distance, especially at night. I also very frequently "zone out" in that I have been carefully and concentrated in driving but I realize I'm at a certain point in my route but I don't really remember, so to say, getting there. Loud music helps me.
Old 06-17-12, 07:56 PM

Does medication help anybody