ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-18-11, 03:17 PM

iamnkidu is on a distinguished road
No Ambition

I was diagnosed with ADD about 10-15 years ago. For a short time I tired the medication but they just made it worse (in my opinion) as I felt more and more 'unlike' myself. So I stopped and tried to manage my issues with distraction on my own manipulating my life into a more 'manageable' design. I learned to compartmentalize my life in a manner that minimized distraction and in doing so I not only compartmentalized my personal life but I compartmentalized my job as well in that any new changes take a long time for me to adjust. I currently have worked in the same job for over 10 years without any push or desire for advancement in that the fear of changing my job (and how it might change my life) keeps me from trying. The only change that my job has lead me towards is that I am now able to do my job from home which at first seemed like a gift but the more I do it, the more I feel like I'm trapping myself into a hole of my own design. When I think about changing my job to something else I get scared, start second guessing myself, and fear the change. Deep down inside myself, though, I am almost screaming for something new and different to happen in my life as I'm tired of the same routine.

Is this my ADD working against me? Does anyone else feel like they are in the same (or similar) situation regarding their own ambitions and goals?
Old 10-18-11, 03:44 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No Ambition

I'm just curious have you read about ocd?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-18-11, 04:00 PM

iamnkidu is on a distinguished road

I used to think I had OCD (or actually its OCPD (Obsessive/Compulsive Personality Disorder)) when I was younger but that was before I learned about ADD. My structuring of my life in a manner that is 'controllable' to me is based on a conscious act so that it minimizes distractions (i.e. keeping my place clean allows me to focus on other things for when my place is messy I tend to focus on the mess and less on other things). Granted it does sound rather OCD in manners but its not like I have to repeat the same pattern of behavior to lessen any anxiety or whatnot. My need for structure and order comes from my want of less distractions.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-11, 06:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,873 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I have the opposite problem. Staying in the same job for more than a few months is basically torture for me. Once I have learned how to do a job, I don't want to do it anymore, if that makes any sense...

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
full_throttle (10-19-11)