ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Exercise
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you like to do for exercise?
Go Running/Jogging 9 33.33%
Swimming 8 29.63%
Gym 10 37.04%
Walking 11 40.74%
Yoga 4 14.81%
Strength Training 12 44.44%
Exercise DVD 0 0%
I don't exercise 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-12, 02:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

KatrinaCaitlin will become famous soon enough
Curious as to what your exercise habits are?

Just curious to what others exercise habits are, and any diet things.
Diagnosed with ADD at 13,was on different meds through trial and error. (Concerta, Ritalin, Folcalin, Celexa, couple others I think too.) Now I'm currently (Age 19) getting re diagnosed for AD/HD,and the Dr. is thinking it's ADHD but we will see what the final diagnosis is on June 7th Also possibly some anxiety too, although currently on 25mg of Vistaril as needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to KatrinaCaitlin For This Useful Post:
jiffyPOP (06-02-12)
Old 06-02-12, 02:19 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,031 Times in 556 Posts
Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Curious as to what your exercise habits are?

My job takes care of my exercise: Running, walking, and using muscle strength for 9 hours straight.
I'm worn out at the end of the day.

Rx= Nothing. Can't due to medical reasons.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twiggy For This Useful Post:
KatrinaCaitlin (06-02-12)
Old 06-02-12, 02:36 PM

LauraF915 is on a distinguished road

Derrr - I clicked the wrong button - I walk or run most days for exercise. Walked 11 miles this morning

For me - running is one of the best forms of stress relief. And it burns off any extra energy I may have so it's easier to sleep at night.

Because my work has a competition going on right now, I have walked or run pretty much every day for the last 7 weeks. Once the competition is over I'll probably cut back to 5 days a week, rather than 7 so I can get back to doing other things with my life
The Following User Says Thank You to LauraF915 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-12, 02:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I fell of the wagon a few months ago, but I was doing cycling and weights. I tend to go through phases with things. Cycling and weight training was a really good combo for me.

Right now it's just walking, cause it's the easiest thing to make myself do.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-12, 02:45 PM

ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraF915 View Post
Derrr - I clicked the wrong button - I walk or run most days for exercise. Walked 11 miles this morning
11 miles walking! How long does that take you?
Old 06-02-12, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
11 miles walking! How long does that take you?
Today it took me 3 hours & 15 minutes (~17:45 minute pace), but I usually do closer to a 15 minute pace (so normally I would do it in 2:45). My phone app I normally use was on the fritz (I think it's because I walked near a power sub-station & then a major airport and it interfered with the GPS tracking) - I haven't done a sub-10 minute pace since I was in high school and it was telling me I had done several miles under 8 minutes, so I didn't have good feedback to keep me motivated to keep my speed up. Plus, I had a blister form on my foot that kept me from going faster.

My sister-in-law wants to run (or walk) a 1/2 marathon this fall, so I've been training to do it with her. I try to walk 5-6 miles after work most days and then over 10 each day on the weekends (so I did 11 this morning and am aiming for 12 tomorrow).

I need to start adding in more running (right now I'm only running a total of 3-4 miles out of the 10-12 - I will walk a mile warm up, then alternate running & walking in 1/4 mile increments for as long as I can, then cut back to running sporadically so I can keep my distance up)
The Following User Says Thank You to LauraF915 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-12, 03:07 PM

Impressive! I don't have the patience to walk for more than an hour or so, but that's only because I'd rather be on a bike.
Old 06-02-12, 03:16 PM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,583 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

During the school year I don't exercise much, until the spring when I play badminton. But during the summer I'm always in the pool. Swimming clears my head and never gets boring, and it can be a workout. Hands down my favorite exercise.
The Following User Says Thank You to pooka For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-12, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
Impressive! I don't have the patience to walk for more than an hour or so, but that's only because I'd rather be on a bike.
A big part of the motivation right now is my work's 10,000 steps/day competition (I'm currently in 2nd place for the entire company and my team is in first place - there's a prize for members of the first place team). Today was a struggle - I started getting really bored and wanted to quit, but the good thing about doing an out & back route is that it's hard to cut it short once you've gone as far out as you want to go.

I usually download podcasts and listen - there's an NPR show that I love but never seem to be in my car when it's on, so I get 45-50 minutes/episode to listen to & I find that it helps make the time seem to go by faster. During the week/on shorter walks, I go with my sister-in-law and we spend the time talking, which helps make the miles go by faster too.
Old 06-02-12, 03:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
My job takes care of my exercise: Running, walking, and using muscle strength for 9 hours straight.
I'm worn out at the end of the day.
Haha so does mine when I work, what do you do for work?
Diagnosed with ADD at 13,was on different meds through trial and error. (Concerta, Ritalin, Folcalin, Celexa, couple others I think too.) Now I'm currently (Age 19) getting re diagnosed for AD/HD,and the Dr. is thinking it's ADHD but we will see what the final diagnosis is on June 7th Also possibly some anxiety too, although currently on 25mg of Vistaril as needed.
Old 06-02-12, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraF915 View Post

For me - running is one of the best forms of stress relief. And it burns off any extra energy I may have so it's easier to sleep at night.

Because my work has a competition going on right now, I have walked or run pretty much every day for the last 7 weeks. Once the competition is over I'll probably cut back to 5 days a week, rather than 7 so I can get back to doing other things with my life
Wow 11 miles that's awesome I also prefer running, most of the time when I walk it's fast enough where the sliding doors at stores don't move open fast enough.
Old 06-02-12, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooka View Post
During the school year I don't exercise much, until the spring when I play badminton. But during the summer I'm always in the pool. Swimming clears my head and never gets boring, and it can be a workout. Hands down my favorite exercise.
Same here I love swimming, and running too.
Old 06-02-12, 03:41 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,308 Times in 582 Posts
crystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud of

Been a little (ok, a lot) off the mark on the running i was doing, but Im still going to bootcamp twice a week. Nothing better than an hour of strenuous activity. Running, circuit exercises, weights, abs,....high intensity. Feels sooooo good after. Walking just doesn't do it for me. I need to be drained.

And diet, Im a pesco-vegetarian.

Down a hole, up a rope
Down some pills, up some hope
This karma machine only takes quarters
New age soldier, new age soldier - Matthew Good -Canadian Musician With Bipolar Disorder

Cyclothymia & ADHD
The Following User Says Thank You to crystal8080 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-12, 04:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Same I need a higher speed than just walking like running.
Old 06-02-12, 04:22 PM
Contributor

beltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nice

You forgot to add categories such as amatuer boxing, submission grappling, kickboxing ( I'm not refering to the fitness-class definition - full contact ).

These incorporate all the other categories such as running, weight-training, high-intensity training.

Along with Yoga there is Tai Chi Chuan, IndoArayan-based martial arts which has a meditation core, etc. but are vastly different in scope than western - taught 'yoga'.
Flory (06-04-12), KatrinaCaitlin (06-02-12)