ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-25-12, 10:53 PM

Only one is on a distinguished road
I'm a little lost

Ok so I want to know what jobs you guys have. Do you like it or hate it? I want a career change, I hate my job I've grown really bored and tired of it very fast. People say hey its a job be happy you have one but I seriously so freaking hate it I don't understand how other people do it but me doing something I don't like is not gonna end well. The problem is, I have no idea what I want to do. I'm in college undecided on a major also and I feel like time is running out, I have no clue what I want to do I'm lost. I don't know if all of this is because I am pretty dependent and never had much help on things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Only one For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (08-26-12)
Old 08-25-12, 10:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm a little lost

I've been unemployed for life, except for the odd band photoshoot one nighters.

I think we with ADHD will always get bored with whatever job we have. What is your job and what do you hate about it? Maybe there's a way to change some things around so it can be at least bearable.

I'm good with a camera and I might do the odd photo shoot as long as I get paid. People really try to use you for your photos. I mean they'll just assume you'll do it without pay.

Someone asked me to illustrate a comic book too.

I'm good with art and I'm writing a novel that I hope to sell. I really have never had a job so I'm trying to make a living on my own.
Old 08-25-12, 11:07 PM

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,126 Posts
phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future

I always read these threads with the hopes of getting the answer to this question.

I am a bookkeeper for small businesses. I have my own business, so i make my own hours. If I do any job in the future, I hope it can be along the same lines of making my own hours. But I would rather poke my eyes out than do bookkeeping. I make it work though. Only because I have yet to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. The never-ending question.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-12, 11:18 PM

I do security, everything about it sucks. It requires you to remember things like who came in, car details, remembering stuff the boss or customers said 4 seconds ago, and being able to describe people. It's really really really really really boring, I figure I'll soon get fired once they catch on that I don't know jack. I don't like sitting around all day or anything lame like that, and I don't get it even tho I have big breaks I don't do anything good for myself like reading I just can't. The people here also sucks they are all just a bunch of snitches they just like to spread rumors and talk in my ear. There is nothing that can change dude.

Wow that stinks unemployment. How did you get started for photography? What did you do? What kind of camera you have? Are you just taking pictures of anything? ..also how do you get started on writing a novel? Like the whole process. Thanks
Old 08-25-12, 11:30 PM

I would also appreciate it if you guys told me the steps y'all took for whatever your doing now. Give a little story...like for me I feel very dependent, I don't go out and look for jobs like most people. I had interviews and choked through them. I got pushed to apply to alot of places by my friend other wise I would never do it. I got very lucky, a friend of mine told me about security and gave a good word for me and that's how I got the job. So like give something like that also ...I'm just asking because seeing the whole process can help me a little. Like you got the job so how did you get it? What'd you do to get it? What happened?

Thanks
Old 08-25-12, 11:45 PM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only one View Post
I do security, everything about it sucks. It requires you to remember things like who came in, car details, remembering stuff the boss or customers said 4 seconds ago, and being able to describe people. It's really really really really really boring, I figure I'll soon get fired once they catch on that I don't know jack. I don't like sitting around all day or anything lame like that, and I don't get it even tho I have big breaks I don't do anything good for myself like reading I just can't. The people here also sucks they are all just a bunch of snitches they just like to spread rumors and talk in my ear. There is nothing that can change dude.

Wow that stinks unemployment. How did you get started for photography? What did you do? What kind of camera you have? Are you just taking pictures of anything? ..also how do you get started on writing a novel? Like the whole process. Thanks
Yeah that does sound pretty sucky. It doesn't sound like an ADHD friendly job.

Like most things I didn't even realise I was into photography until people made it clear to me. Sure, I knew I took photos but it turned from a hobby to something more professional pretty fast. I'm a band photographer and started out just going along to a concert with my dad's film camera. I kept going to gigs, updated my camera to digital and then applied to take photos for online music websites. I've been meaning to upgrade my Canon 40D SLR but like you I had a lot of problems with it. It was so competitive because the bands you wanted to shoot 40 other people wanted to shoot. Editors got very strict with how they wanted the photos to be, even though we didn't get paid, and then security, staff and the band's road manager pretty much treated you like a little kid. I pretty much almost threw myself over a bridge after my last official shoot. Now I can't stand the environment, the people and I'm not good around loud noise and strobe lights.

The novel writing started out much the same way. I was trying to learn all I could about Doctor Who so I read a reference guide of each episode. Then I figured I'd write my own fan fiction. One story turned into another one, a part 2. Then I wrote part 3.
I think because it was the first story I had ever finished writing I thought I could write my own. I didn't start it at first. I usually have these extremely visual stories in my head for one to three weeks, or even just a couple of days. But this was constantly there, all six books. I don't think I'll write that many. That would be torture for me to try to write one and wait impatiently to get up to the next one. I'm already impatient to finish the trilogy.

So anyway, I wanted to start the first book. I need a synopsis, something that tells me what this story is about to start writing at all. Then I write down possible chapter names. Actually they came to me at 1am while I was trying to sleep and I got up, scribbled them down on paper, looked at it, felt better then went back to bed.

It takes a lot of organising and loads of patience. I have hundreds of notes for my book in its own filing cabinet. Heaps of diagrams for technology in my books too (it's science fiction). The book needs it's own filing cabinet and there's no room for anything else. I'm constantly working on it though. Of course in bed when I can't sleep but everything I read, everyone I speak to or everything I watch becomes research.
It's pretty fun to work on. At first I thought it was too boring to even write so I added a lot of action to it.

I've been meaning to upgrade my camera just to take higher detail family photos and some videos of me being an idiot, but I have an impulsive spending problem. If I was still a professional band photographer I would upgrade, but it's not such a priority anymore. It might be weird that I find the sometimes privileged life of a band photographer boring, but there comes a time when it becomes so easy it's just routine. Plus those health problems I get at large crowded gatherings with flashing lights.

Writing and the other art projects I do offer a constant challenge. Get over one and there's always another. I'm constantly learning so it's never boring.
Old 08-25-12, 11:58 PM

zoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to all

I've ended up working in maintenance or similar trades. For the most part I like it, actually, though it too can be mind-numbingly boring. However, I get to work more or less alone, nothing's too complicated that I can't keep track of it with a notebook in my shirt pocket, and I'm good with tools, so there's that.

I got into it as a groundskeeper at an apartment complex. I just showed a willingness to help out and work hard.

The downside, and it is a HUGE one, worse than tedium, is carrying a pager/being on call. I've taken a pretty big pay cut and now do maintenance at a hotel because I'm not on call. I used to sit on the edge of my seat every other week waiting for the pager to go off and call me away to fix something or plunge some idiot's toilet at 2 am. Really. It made me way anxious.

Carry a notebook, by the way. And I found keeping a specific work-journal that I update on my lunch break has kept me out of a lot of hot water and protected me from a lot of bullies and idiots in the workplace.
This savage love is undestructable!
---Gogol Bordello
Old 08-26-12, 12:01 AM

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

I recommend doing internships to find something you like and to get experience.

Volunteer jobs are also an option, to help expose you to different fields.

[0,0]
|)__)
---
Old 08-26-12, 12:14 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only one View Post
Ok so I want to know what jobs you guys have. Do you like it or hate it? I want a career change, I hate my job I've grown really bored and tired of it very fast. People say hey its a job be happy you have one but I seriously so freaking hate it I don't understand how other people do it but me doing something I don't like is not gonna end well. The problem is, I have no idea what I want to do. I'm in college undecided on a major also and I feel like time is running out, I have no clue what I want to do I'm lost. I don't know if all of this is because I am pretty dependent and never had much help on things.
I like what I do, being self-employed in the communications field. It took me about a decade to find it.

You have time. What are your interests and what are you good at? If you don't know what you're good at, what have people said that you're good at?

I was always good at writing. My next door neighbor/friend told me my writing (I read her one of my journal entries from grade school) was good. What I excelled at was in my life the whole time!

~Paulo Coelho
Old 08-26-12, 02:07 AM

Ok um so I'm good at drawing but I haven't drew in awhile I think I might have lost my touch. I'm ok at sports, I can play basketball for hours but as of now there is no luck for me for that career. I like playing video games if its good I can play for a long time but I don't really play much anymore because I am interested in girls. A new thing I started is recording stuff, I guest they are vlogs, and I actually like it just wish I had a camera instead of using my phone. I wish people knew how I wanted the videos to be and I don't really have much volunteers its like only I know how to record or make people look good or catch some good moments but they can't do it for me I would like getting recorded not knowing I was. I want to be in front of the camera I want to speak out loud but its not easy and sometimes I don't want to do stuff in front of my family they make me feel uncomfortable sometimes i know I can do this easy had I had my own place and out of the area I'm in. I want to do videos like thechengman, timothydelaghetto, smosh, frediew, bf vs gf, simplepickup and more or way better vlogs. I don't know what's there living tho or how they make money they just have vids on youtube. I am thinking I should try to be an actor but everybody wants that so I don't know ...

People say I can draw(I don't really draw anymore ), they say I'm very nice and respectful and understanding , they say I'm a funny guy or think I'm fun to be around, they also think I'm good at playing video games.

What you guys think?
Old 08-26-12, 11:14 AM

Oh and do you guys have youtube accounts?
Old 08-26-12, 11:34 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered graphic design? If you could draw, I bet you still can. Talent doesn't go away.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 08-26-12, 11:53 AM

I mean I think I was pretty good, I impressed myself with alot of drawings I did and people who knew me thought I can draw good. I would show some of my drawings but I lost my drawing books which sucks because my lazy a** put alot of time into them. The thing with art I just never had the patience to go through each step. For example you have a book that show you how to draw spider man right, first you make a stick figure and shapes then draw over it then erase the stick figure and so on. But for me I don't waste my time with that I just go to the final piece and draw it and it come out really good. But anyways you could be right, maybe I still can draw. The thing is once I got out of highschool I just stopped, I was more into doing nothing than wasting time drawing stuff haha I don't get it. But I will look into this graphic design right now and not later. I just need some inspiration to draw again. I'll put alot of thought into this. Thanks
Old 08-26-12, 12:09 PM

zoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to all

Onlyone,

CheekyMonkey's advice about internships is fairly sound. There's probably a local/public access cable station in your area, or a local PBS affiliate. Call either one of these and tell them you would like to know if you could schedule a visit to learn more about what it is they do there. Don't mention internships, just that you'd like to learn more. Most of the time this will get you in the door. Once there, after seeing things, express how you'd like to learn more, and ask if you could volunteer. If you really want to get into this, do anything they ask and you can maneuver yourself into the specific area later if you can't begin in the area you want.

If you want to perform but are hesitant of being in front of the camera because of family or embarrassment, use puppets, or wear a mask. Wear a decorated paper bag that changes every episode. Keep it short to keep it easy.

In all things involving meeting new people or performing, the key for me is preparation. Even if it's just jotting down a few questions or comments in advance, it presents a focus if/when my brain wanders away and leaves me holding the bag.

Very exciting ideas you have.

Oh, and sadly, no. I don't have a YouTube account.
This savage love is undestructable!
---Gogol Bordello
Old 08-26-12, 12:52 PM

Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,290 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute

Do you like helping people? Does that make you happy? It is okay to say no, because some people don't. If you do, it opens up lots of possibilities.