ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-09, 02:03 PM
Jr Member

rrsszz22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

I used to have really bad sleep problems until I found some really good natural methods of helping. Valerian Root, which is a natural herb is awesome! You can take 1-3 about 1/2 -1 hour before going to bed and the next thing you know you are sleeping. It doesn't make you sleep either it just lets you sleep getting rid of that racing mind. So for deep sleepers it isn't something to worry about.
The other tips I found:
  • Don't drink caffeine. It stays in your body for 12 hours and makes your sleep restless. If you really need it to function try getting off it slowly by decreasing the amount and then stopping completely on a weekend when you can sleep if you feel tired.
  • Don't watch TV or work on the computer for at least one hour prior to bed and dim the lights around your house. The artificial light disturbs the body's ability to produce the hormone melatonin necessary to sleep. I have also heard talking on cell phones right before bed will do the same.
  • Go to bed at the same exact time every night. It helps regulate your bio rhythms. This was my biggest problem and once I set a bedtime of 10:30 lights out - went to bed at 10 and read for a bit - I would fall asleep within minutes. The first week or so you will probably lie in bed awake, so then use the valerian root and the next tip.
  • The last greatest little sleep secret I discovered to help was to take a cold pack or one of those spa things after putting it in the freezer and put it on the back of your neck for 15 minutes prior to your set bedtime. It decreases your body's temperature and causes your body to release melatonin helping you sleep. Melatonin if you don't know is a hormone your body releases in the evening when your body temperature decreases and it gets dark to cause sleepiness.
If you put all of those into place you will definitely notice a difference. I was the most restless sleeper and constantly felt horrible all day and after putting this into place I get such good quality sleep I don't need to sleep more than 7-8 hours and wake up feeling great and well rested.
I did find that a little caffeine in the morning is okay for me, since the valerian root works so well, but if you know you won't be able to stop throughout the rest of the day you should probably just cut it out completely. Anyways hope these tips help!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rrsszz22 For This Useful Post:
Amrittheyogi (03-12-10), croweater (03-18-10), FroGpants (12-29-10), jengen (05-03-12), MGDAD (12-03-09), sandyship (12-07-09), varied_in_style (02-09-10), zoneout (04-04-10)
Old 02-09-10, 05:21 PM

varied_in_style is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

I have a horrible time getting to sleep at night. I think of myself as more of a night person, so that probably doesn't help to start off, but then when I do try to go to bed at night something ends up happening that either I can't relax enough to fall asleep and end up 'waking up' or i get distracted by something and, again, wake up. I am in the habit of only going to sleep when I am tired, so this makes it even harder for me to sleep like a 'normal' 'day person'.
Admittedly, I am yawning and nodding off as I type this even now, because I ended up not going to bed until 5:30-6am, and had to get up at 7am for school. I have a good feeling I may end up taking a nap when I get home, even though I can't really afford to with having a speech tomorrow and a *bunch* of stuff to do to finish preparing for it. Oh well, maybe fate will be kind to me and the giant snow storm they are predicting will come true? <_<
>_>
Oh who am I kidding?! It's completely clear out and I have my own full personal prediction that not a speck of snow will fall, despite all the hype and predictions of everyone else. /sigh *lays her head on the table and falls asleep, squishing the origami she was making for her demonstration speech*

Last edited by EYEFORGOT; 03-21-10 at 01:07 AM..
Old 02-09-10, 05:24 PM

varied_in_style is on a distinguished road

This is awesome, I will so have to write down the name of that root you mentioned, plus now that I think about it, I am probably hurting myself by being on the computer right before I try to go to bed many, if not most, times. Plus I never go to bed at the same time each night so that makes it even worse.
Thanks rrsszz22!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-10, 08:05 AM

jamie-forsyth is on a distinguished road

i can never sleep i am perscribed sleeping pills i have tried reading and everything , i can stay awake for 3 days sometimes but dont feel tired dont know why ? what else can help me sleeep ??
Old 02-12-10, 12:53 AM

sPacie~Gracie is on a distinguished road
Re: no one with sleeping problems?

I have the same problem... I could sleep up to 12 hrs. (with out having any one home) and take naps during the day. lunch breaks are my nape time @ my work. I always feel tired in the after noon. I had this problem since I was a kid too....

I'm ADD and my problem is deep sleep, such as, we just had a new roof put on our small barn, my husband came home from work and wanted to know when and how long it took the roofers to roof the barn, found out they came around 7a.m. and finished around 9:30a.m. not to far from our bedroom,
I slept through it all, I do this alot. I always have, my mother had a terrible time trying to get me up for school.

well, just wondering if I'm the only one with this kind of sleeping problem

over and out for now

fasthummingbird
Old 02-24-10, 06:21 PM

ncgirl37 is on a distinguished road

I have always been such a light sleeper. I get up at least twice a night to use the bathroom and I usually have nightmares a few times a week. Once I wake up startled I toss and turn until I can get to sleep. A new thing I have been doing the past few months is waking up in the middle of the night screaming after having some crazy dream. I think I have done this about four times now and scares my hubby to death. Just diagnosed with ADHD and started on Ritalin this week. Anyone know if ADHD is tied to nightmares? They have gotten worse as an adult. Thanks!

Edited to add that I just saw there is a thread for bad dreams with ADD/ADHD. Will check it out...the forum is so helpful!
Old 03-02-10, 12:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

I've had insomnia all my life, and really what I find to be the problem is that when it's dark and quiet, it's the perfect time to thinkthinkthinkthinkthink. Worse, if there's a light or a noise, anything that makes it less than the perfect environment for undisturbed sleep, I can't sleep because it's so annoying that this disturbance exists and is making me think about it, which keeps me from sleeping! I have tried everything. You name it. The best I get is sleeping a little less horribly.

I have a noise machine (those little fans they have in the therapists' offices). I use a nice comfy headband to cover my eyes. I take 1/2mg of xanax (antianxiety meds at least DO something, unlike sleep meds.) If I'm still awake an hour later, I take another 1/2mg. Last night, I took a third and fell asleep just before I became desperate enough to take a fourth. And, of course, benzos decrease the amount of deep sleep, so even if you slept 8 hours, it still feels like 6 or less.

I've gone through Valerian, Melatonin, diphenhydramine, halcion, ambien, lunesta, trazodone, rozeram, ativan. . .even an off-label use of risperidone (which was the most hellish month of my entire life!) I'm just so tired of being tired!
Old 03-12-10, 12:06 PM

Amrittheyogi is on a distinguished road

Dear All,

This is a meditation for helping with insomnia and regulating sleep stages;

Sit crossed legged on the floor (if possible, otherwise upright in a chair with both feet flat on the floor) with the eyes closed focus on the tip of your nose (where you imagine it to be) Inhale through the nose in 4 equal parts (a 1/4 of a breathe each sniff until you are fully inhaled) mentally repeating the sounds "Sa Ta Na Ma" Hold the breath and mentally vibrate "Sa Ta Na Ma x 4 for a total of 16 beats then exhale through the nose in 2 equal parts mentally vibrating "Whahay Guru" one word per beat. This equals a 22 part cycle. Continue for at least 15 minutes and you can go up to 31 mins or even 62 minutes. Ideally do this just before you go to bed. There are occasional side effects with this technique for the first 3 -5 weeks prior to obtaining improvements. It is also possible to do this meditation during the day which should stop any problems that might occur initially. To prepare for this meditation i would recommend following the 'tuning in' and 'warm up' routine to be found on my YouTube channel 'Succeed with ADHD'; video 1 part 1 All best wishes, Amrit
Old 03-18-10, 01:59 AM

Greeku is on a distinguished road

Suffering from Insomnia is a great trouble. I had been suffering out of it. Its all because of the stress I had in the office. I then came to know about Hypnotherapy treatment and undergone that. Now I am able to sleep peacefully.

Old 03-18-10, 02:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

arrested_truth has a spectacular aura aboutarrested_truth has a spectacular aura about

What about delayed sleep phase syndrome? Would this apply then?
Old 03-18-10, 03:11 AM

Greeku is on a distinguished road

Ya you can try it out
Old 03-18-10, 10:31 PM
Jr Member

blujoc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
I now have to post here grrrrr!, I have had one heck of a time getting to sleep at night ,my mind is still in go mode but my body is telling me I need to sleep.Last night was terrible I was up until 2:30 I just could not sleep for anything...and I had to get up at 7:00 am to get the kids ready for school.I am dragging butt today but there is no way I can nap even with the kids gone and the house to myself .Any suggestions?
Literally everyone I suggest this to says No... but they don't listen past the name. I have loved Trazadone... but I take it under the condition that I know it will hit in 20 minutes IF YOU DRINK a full glass of water and you take the proper amount. It will also stay in your system longer, making you groggy, without a lot of water!

This is why people don't like taking it but I can. And years ago it changed my life. Best of alll is that It is not a Sedative. i do not take sedatives generally because I get a Depression rebound effect worse than what I took thee pill for.

It's an anti-depressant also. A win win win for me.

I used to have to take 125mg. Which is high compared to many. [you can take 650 as in the 60's when they gave it to Psychotic persons]
But now I only need 75 to 50mg. It's similar to Benadryl

Randy
Old 04-03-10, 11:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

liveandletdie is on a distinguished road

My sleep problem is strange...

I used to be a very light sleeper, and i wouldn't sleep that much but the sleep I did get would be very rejuvinating

Now..I sleep very deeply when I get to sleep and I can hardly wake up...and it is never rejuvinating...almost draining.

My delayed sleep phase is still pretty much the same

Just the sleep i get has changed so much..

I started dexedrine about 3 months ago

Sleep has pretty much been the same, and the change in sleep occurred before I started taking dexedrine...

Only thing I can think is I am not excersizing as much as I used to..but I am trying to get active again- very hard with the crummy weather we're having in the puget sound =/

What else could be the cause of the change?
The Following User Says Thank You to liveandletdie For This Useful Post:
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 04-21-10, 07:10 AM

NZgirl is on a distinguished road

I know it seems immature but I can't make myself go to sleep early - even when I'm shattered my brain just wants to keep going and going and have moreee stimulation! Arrrghhh
Old 04-21-10, 02:29 PM

Cherie is on a distinguished road

I am wondering- The people with ADHD are they the ones that don't sleep very much?
The people with ADD are they the ones that's sleep too much?
I have inattentive and limbic ADD and It is very hard for me to wake up and get moving in the morning. I sleep in and sleep way too many hours.