ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-10, 06:53 AM

NZgirl is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

I have both - can't get to sleep then I'm the hardest in the world to wake up and can easily stay asleep
Old 04-22-10, 12:46 PM
Contributor

krb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

I could sleep for more than a few hours every night then maybe today I wouldn't feel like staring at the computer all day........waiting for my meds to kick in since I was tired I forgot to take it.....................
Old 04-27-10, 08:58 PM

babu is on a distinguished road

I've been a card-carrying insomniac all my life. Sleep center-evaluated twice. Low serotinin or something like that. I simply do not sleep without drugs. Will go for days without sleeping and then just cat-nap even if exhausted. Can look like mania but it's classic sleep deprivation. I think it's part of the ADD brain. Right now I take 30 mg Temazepam, a big dose. Time to see my doc and discuss switching to something else for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to babu For This Useful Post:
FroGpants (12-29-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-10, 10:00 PM

alexandra. has a spectacular aura aboutalexandra. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZgirl View Post
I have both - can't get to sleep then I'm the hardest in the world to wake up and can easily stay asleep
That's me! It's 2:59 now and I can't sleep and if I do get to sleep I won't be able to be woken up
Old 04-28-10, 02:27 AM
Contributor

ben72227 will become famous soon enough

I generally just take an OTC sleep aid (usually an antihistamine like Doxylamine or Diphenhydramine aka Benadryl, Unisom, etc.) if the Adderall is keeping me from getting a good night's sleep.
Old 05-09-10, 02:56 AM

risingson05 is on a distinguished road

I've always been a light sleeper. It's frustrating many times. It was horrible when I lived in dorms. I could never sleep. On the bright side, though, no one was ever able to successfully pull a prank on me

I've always had trouble getting to sleep too. Many times just listening to soft music or something relaxing will help, but if there is something important or that I'm looking forward to the next day I usually can't sleep at all. Very frustrating because it always happens nights before finals (and not because I was studying all night!). I remember when I was a kid I could never sleep on christmas eve either. Santa never got past me!

But seriously, some of my best ideas happen when I'm in bed. I always get up multiple times before I fall asleep because I think of something cool or remember something important. I eventually just learned to put a pad of paper and a pencil on my night stand so I didn't have to get out of bed. If I just scribbled something real quick without turning on the light it would help relieve the anxiety and allow me to calm down and eventually pass out.
Old 05-10-10, 11:00 AM

whozitsdad will become famous soon enough

Our nine year old son takes 75mb Seroquel in the evening before bedtime and it has not worked like we hoped. He's been on the 30mg daytrana patch which we remove well before bedtime. His Ped tells us to keep him on it in case his sleeping habits get worse.

Not sure it can get worse than finding him up at 1am playing games.
Old 05-11-10, 12:28 PM

ADD3r will become famous soon enough

I'm a life long insomniac, even as a child I had a terrible time falling asleep. I never once even fell asleep on a long car trip until I was about 35 yrs old. Last week due to a client emergency I ended up working unexpectedly 9:00pm until 6:00am the next morning. I was in bed by 6:20 and did not fall asleep until about 8:30am and was woken up by a phone call at 9:15am. I took a quick shower popped a couple of Adderall xr pills and went about my day. To add insult to injury I had trouble falling asleep again that same night.

I only found out about my ADHD-I later in life after years of lousy sleep due to a prostate problem that caused me to get and pee several times a night. After years of suffering through this my ADHD-I symptoms became undeniably worse. My doc prescribed ambien and this works well for me the only problem is after a month or so of using it I became dependent on it. I am very adverse to any kind of addiction so weaning myself off of it took almost two weeks of very very little sleep. Now I'm back to my normal insomniac self and use the Ambein only occasionally when its important that I get a good nights sleep.
Old 05-14-10, 06:23 AM

mystes will become famous soon enough

when time comes that my insomnia will attack..I dont want to take medicine as much as possible...

For me, I have to drink milk and a book in my side... to keep me drowsy.

Too much dependent of medicine drugs can scare me as well..
as much as possible.. I want it natural..
Old 05-14-10, 02:43 PM
Jr Member

cheezey will become famous soon enough

I was diagnosed with DSPS (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome) about 2 years ago, which was a bit of an eye opener to say the least. It felt like a revelation to finally understand the "why?" behind all my sleeping issues, but I just wish the diagnosis had helped find a greater solution to the problems!

I think I was rather fortunate in my life in many respects, but I sure as hell wish that I had been diagnosed a lot earlier than I was. I guess that's mainly for psychological reasons, especially for the effect it may have had when I was in school.

I missed about 2 years of school from 12-14, during which time I was also diagnosed with ADHD oddly enough. I went back to school from 14-18, but even then I still was missing 2-3 days a week for pretty much that entire time. Having to get up at 7:30am, having been staring at the ceiling until about 2am really wasn't doing my health any good! I struggled to go when I could but now in retrospect it was obvious I was feeling the effects of a serious lack of sleep. I only wish I had known back then, as I think it had it had a rather large impact on my psychological state particularly - in how "different" I felt.

After school I went away to uni and fell flat on my face having to attend lectures 5 days a week. I lasted less about a month before coming home. I ended up working in a Job in a DIY store - on the late shift (surprisingly!) until finally going back to uni the following year.

What makes me smile about uni and my DSPS is looking back on how even with the uni quite literally 100m up the road I could not physically get to the 9:30am lectures! Perhaps that's par for the course as a student though lol :P

Anyway after graduating I dragged my heels for ages trying to find a job, mainly because of the previous experiences of trying to live by 9-5. Big surprise that when I finally did get a job it all unravelled again! I was offered a job in IT support and despite it being what I wanted to go into doing it was literally 3 days before I had resigned. It was only when I finally reached this lowest of the low points that I finally decided something wasn't quite right and began the process that lead to my diagnosis.

Since diagnosis I've been surprised how much it has changed my life for the better. I'd say that only for how my general mood and demeanour has improved since prior to diagnosis.

Working from home has helped as well with that as well, I'm just lucky im in a position to do that really.

When it comes to any remedy to try to "solve" the DSPS... lets just say "hit and miss" comes to mind.

I mean to anyone who has insomnia/sleep disorder sleep hygiene tips are the "been there, bought 1,000,000 t-shirts and none of them fit!" amirite?! I won't have much more of my tongue left to bite if a doctor starts giving me any more of those I swear!

I've only had limit success trying to maintain a regular schedule, which in my case has been around 2-11am, but even that feels far too randomly successful at times.

Medication wise I've tried Melatonin in various amounts, at various times, with also some limited success. At best I found I could move my sleep forward an hour or so, and that perhaps the quality of my sleep improved slightly. If I take it for any period over a handful of days it'll have the opposite effect on my sleep quality! Falling asleep easily, but then waking up at 5am and not being able to go back to sleep.

Interestingly I've found 5-HTP to be more effective overall. It doesn't have the same sedating effect for me as the direct melatonin does, but perhaps it is having a more positive effect on my mood and or sleep quality. At least that's what it seems to be doing.

Oh if anyone was interested in that DSPS mailing list here's the link http://lists.circadiandisorders.org/...ndisorders.org

It's a wealth of information on the subject, especially with the archives, and one thing I will say about it is I was very surprised about the numbers of people who also had ADHD.
Old 05-15-10, 01:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

arrested_truth has a spectacular aura aboutarrested_truth has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezey View Post
I was diagnosed with DSPS (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome) about 2 years ago, which was a bit of an eye opener to say the least. It felt like a revelation to finally understand the "why?" behind all my sleeping issues, but I just wish the diagnosis had helped find a greater solution to the problems!
I've found out this is my problem too; for as long as I can remember it fits the bill perfectly; except I also have the issue with Night-Eating Syndrome, once I finally do get to sleep I have to wake up 3-4 even five times a night to get up and go eat something and go back to sleep.

It's so bizarre out of my control I acknowledge I do it but it seems so necessary at the time, other wise I wouldn't be waking up to go eat!
This morning I spilled a whole bowl of cereal and milk on my foam mattress... ineedhelps
Old 05-24-10, 02:23 PM

Xanthus is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

Hi all,

I'm new here . I'm 23 and was diagnosed with ADHD a few weeks ago. Just started on Concerta. I'm still confused as hell.

I'd managed to get through school alright, doing the bare minimum to get through and always knowing something was different about me. Everything started going south when I was 18 - with sleeping problems. I'd always had trouble falling asleep. But two weeks into varsity I could suddenly no longer fall asleep. At all, for days at a time. I was hospitalised after staying awake for four days straight, and diagnosed with depression, then bipolar (now I wonder...) Five years of therapy and drugs and hospital and dropping varsity and now I finally know what's wrong. I don't know whether to be happy or sad...

Anyways, my biggest problem is falling asleep. It usually takes about an hour, and if it takes any longer than that it usually just doesn't happen. Work is the only thing that will force me out of bed (via three alarm clocks scattered throughout the room). And for those 20 minutes I hate life.

I've been through every drug possible - Seroquel, Molipaxin, Remeron, Telfast, Immovane, Rivotril, Inderal, Dormicum (that's stuff's like horse tranquilisers ), alcohol and even weed a few times, etc. (long list). I've managed to cope for the last few months without meds, but a lot of difficulty and will power.

The problem is meds all have side effects. Seroquel makes you stoned for hours and makes you put on weight (I lost 15kg after stopping my 200mg per night). Remeron too. Immovane only works for a few months and is addictive. So are Rivotril and Dormicum. It also gives you the munchies and makes you dumb the next day. I still wonder if five years of benzos hasn't dropped my IQ lol.

I also think I may have DSPS. I can easily sleep from 4am to 12pm+ every day and feel great. Too bad the rest of the world doesn't sleep like that RLS too I think (right now my foot is tapping its way to China).

I've tried all the "normal things" - i.e. things that work for normal people. And I get really cheesed off when they start going on about good sleep hygiene Anyone else like that?

Anyways, my 2c is this:
-If you're going to take meds to sleep, ALWAYS take them on an empty stomach. They work faster and don't stick around till 8am and leave you groggy. When you get to the point where you need to crush sleeping pills (bad idea) or smoke weed (even worse when on Ritalin - they work on the same neurotransmitter), it's time to find something else. See my note at the end**
-Get as much sunlight as you can, as early as you can. This kickstarts your Circadian Rhythm.
-Excercise in the morning. I mean flat out for 45 mins. It works like a charm. When you get around to it lol It also kickstarts your Circadian Rhythm.
-Try meditation, but don't try force your mind to shut up (I'm sure most ADDers would laugh at that thought), just focus on breathing. It calms you down.
-Keep your room at 18C - 20C (65F - 68F). Your Circadian cycle works on body temperature. Too high and you won't sleep. I saved up for an aircon (South Africa can get a bit crispy in summer). It also dehumidifies the air, making sweating at night less uncomfortabe (those of you on SSRI antidepressants should know how horrible that is).
-Avoid showering and bright lights shortly before bed. They both send the "it's hot and bright so it's awake-time" signal to your brain. Spend your last waking time in a cool room with a soft, dim lamp on.
-It's not fun, but lying with only boxers on with the aircon going drops your core temp and makes you sleepy if you're desperate. It's chilly, but it works for me when I'm desperate.
-If you get up to go to the loo, don't turn on the lights, it jumpstarts your brain awake.
-If you listen to music, listen to something instrumental - no vocals to get you thinking. And make sure the hi-fi turns off after a certain amount of time. Sleeping with music on screws with your dreams.
-Earplugs, anything to make your room PITCH black, and a comfy bed with nice covers (I made a whole in my wallet for mine) go a long way.
-Turn your alarm clock away from your bed so you can't stare at the time while you're awake, and stressing about how many hours you have left to sleep before work/school/varsity.
-I find lavender insence quite soothing.
-Writing or keeping a diary helps. You get a lot of the junk floating (or rather whirling around in a tornado) in your head out.
-TV and computer screens are bright and flashy. I love my PC but I know if I spend hours on it before bed I've basically done myself in.

Some of the weirder stuff I do:

I find that "listening" to my thoughts, instead of trying to drown them helps. Your unconscious mind is like a radio next door, playing all the stations at once. You can barely hear it, and when you do, it takes a while to sift out something meaningful from all the white noise. Try listen to those unconscious thoughts. Don't expand on them, just listen and watch. Once I got comfortable doing it, I found that when I did, I would see random pictures flashing. Like the sandwhich I ate for lunch. My old home. The door handle that needs to be fixed. All really random things. It's really amazing (and a bit scary) what your mind thinks of without you knowing. Eventually you'll get immersed in it and drift off. If anyone here doesn't think I'm nuts and knows what I mean, please say so

Another thing I've read up on is talking to your unconscious mind. But not by talking to yourself like you're mad Your unconscious mind automatically sucks up everything it sees like a vacuum cleaner and processes it and then sends the meaningful stuff to your conscious mind. That's why you can dream of something you saw but didn't even take note of. Anyways, what I'm saying is, if you want your mind to relax, close your eyes and picture the word R E L A X in big white letters for as long as you can. Sleepy, calm, happy, drowsy, safe, content... Any single, straightforward word helps. I swear, I'm not mad, I've just tried EVERYTHING and found that a few strange things do actually work sometimes It also works during the day. If someone cuts you off in traffic, picture F O R G E T. Try it This actually comes from documented experiments of a similar nature. Ask if you're curious

Every few moments, make a conscious effort to check that every single muscle in your body is relaxed. Especially your jaw and neck. You won't fall asleep if they're not. They'll keep tensing up again, but gently undoing them every time they do at least gives you a shot at falling asleep. If you struggle, breathe in and tense your whole body for a moment (not until your eyes pop out, just hard enough to feel tense) and when you breathe out, breathe out quickly and release all your muscles.

There are other more complex self-hypnosis things you can do, but they take patience and practice. Not ADHD friendly. So I haven't bothered.

Anyways, don't wanna bore anyone to death. Let me know what you think. I'm glad I've found a place with others like me

**For those of you who haven't taken sleeping pills before: Immovane and Stilnox (Zolpidem and Zopiclone) is end-of-the-day-bliss in a pill. You feel relaxed, aloof, happy, care-free, and just generally dandy and then you pass out cold. It's so intoxicating that many people don't want to go to sleep, just enjoy the feeling - they're often abused this way by people without insomnia. Knowing that popping a pill means you'll be sleeping in 30 mins is so reassuring. Too good to be true? Yup. THEY'RE VERY, VERY ADDICTIVE. To give you an example, Immovane gives you the most disgusting bitter taste at the back of your mouth when it starts working. To this day I still crave that disgusting taste when I want to sleep, because of the association with it. When I taste something bitter like that, I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside. And then a pang of sadness They work fantastically, until a year down the line you need five to just feel drowsy. And you stop taking them with great difficulty only to find you've forgotten completely how to fall asleep. You crave them every night before sleeping. Not taking them feels wrong, like getting into bed without changing and taking off your shoes. It's not fun, trust me. PLEASE, use them as a last resort. They work, but at a cost. Any benzodiazepine for that matter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xanthus For This Useful Post:
BrandyDW (08-12-18), doiadhd (06-04-10), FroGpants (12-29-10), gclabbe (07-29-10)
Old 06-04-10, 12:26 AM
Jr Member

Salamander82 is on a distinguished road

I'm soo glad there's a forum on this =). Last night up all night because occupied online looking for a gift for a friend. I'm trying to regulate it but am stuck in bouts of 2 days or so to bed on time and then everything falls apart. I have trouble getting to sleep on or off ADD meds. I use trazadone to help. It does the job but the problem for me is taking it when I need to. When it's time for bed I'm usually into something... anything and I don't want to quit (the old lack of impulse control), I'm too drawn in to what I'm doing...presently this is (and, I guess, always has been) my main problem with sleep.

Off meds, I am usually restless and can't relax enough to get to sleep easily but when I finally do get to sleep, I can sleep through a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Salamander82 For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (06-04-10)
Old 06-08-10, 03:17 PM
Contributor

michinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nice

i feel like the problem with everyone who feels they have sleep problems is: what are your standards for normal sleep?

of course, Corporations want you to sleep at 10PM and wake up at 6AM. all throughout history, rich people have worked poor people from dawn to dusk. it used to be because you have to take advantage of the natural sunlight. but we have electricity now!!

i know many successful people (some of them are even rich, but they're not as cool @_@) who sleep at 6AM and wake up at 2PM. or sleep every two days. when they're not sleeping, they're manically productive. that's just how they work.

my father is a respected local pastor. he sleeps at 7PM and wakes up at 4AM. nobody gives him any grief about it...but it's not a "normal" sleeping schedule, is it? he also takes naps every afternoon. ^_^

and haven't we all heard of the mexican siesta? the whole country just takes a nap in the middle of the afternoon~ they don't call that dysfunctional.

i think the real insomnia "problem" is that people are trying to stuff themselves into a tiny mold that they don't fit into. not being able to sleep is no problem...because that's being awake...and there's nothing wrong with being awake!

it's just boring and depressing if you choose to spend that time alone trying to force yourself to sleep, instead of going out (or staying in) and doing interesting and fun things with interesting and fun people...

Old 08-16-10, 09:26 AM

Myke is on a distinguished road

if having trouble with sleep means that you might be thinking of something. but if you don't. try to tire your eyes with soemthing.. reading a book, play the pc.... this could help to make you feel sleepy asap..