ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-11, 01:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleisch View Post
Tonight it's not mindless chatter. Tonight it's worry about something childish. I made my co-workers notebooks for our holiday get together. Handmade covers, hand sewn, paper edges filed even and smooth with lovely texture, others with light scallops slowly made with a hot nib, etc. Detail detail.
Well, how did they like the notebooks?

Phaedrus

Old 01-02-11, 02:45 PM

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,053 Posts
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ has disabled reputation

Thanks for asking Imnapl, I have only given them to my coworkers, so far. My boss's went over well. I made a notebook cover from a late 19th century book that was owned by one of his heroes (Charles Atwood kofoid), evidenced by the book plate. When he saw that he was already talking about bragging to a friend coming up this month to visit the kofoid museum.

The others... Well they didn't open them in front of me. One email from M (60ish) said thank you, that they were nice. Another from G (female, late 50s) liked the paper, and didn't realize they were hand made. In the following email she seemed more appreciative, saying they looked so professional.

I took diagrams and drawings from the Zoology book kofoid owned and varnished them on to the covers. Some were torn, others clean cut, some with burned edges, etc. Then the otter set of covers was just made from printed card stalk from the craft store (wood, water, greenery, pebbles in a creek, and some cute ones like robots, aliens an planets, polka dots, etc.)

So, I suppose... Mission success? I still feel cheap, cuz I know one person spen much more than 15 bucks.

Maybe I will tale a couple pictures of a finished one to share.
The Following User Says Thank You to βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (01-02-11)
Old 01-02-11, 02:51 PM

Thanked 1,358 Times in 814 Posts
zannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to behold

I know i would way rather get something that someone spent so much time and creativity on than anything expensive.

I am so impressed that you took the time and care to make what sounds like abeautiful and unique gifts.
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (01-02-11), Imnapl (01-02-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-11, 06:54 PM
Jr Member

rb699 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
I go bed at the same time every night. Probably fall asleep after midnight/1am. No matter what time I got o bed I'm always falling asleep at that time.
I don't have any caffeine, minus tea and I'm not on medication.
The nights I drink alcohol I nod off quite quickly and wake up late.
The 5am wake ups happened after going off meds. Also, I have like 5-6 different kind of dreams so I wake up exhausted.
Also, I wake up breathing too fast.
Well you only remember dreams that you have in the lighter stages of sleep. Are you getting up once you wake up the first time or are you going back to sleep? Usually going back to sleep is responsible for the lighter sleep and dreams as well as groggy exhaustion and can be eliminated by just getting up as soon as you wake up. Outside of that, if you are just having a lot of dreams I would suggest concentrating on winding down for a full hour if possible before going to sleep. During this time make it all about you, hot bath, soothing music, good smelling candles, meditation or prayer. The key is no TV or computer or anything mentally stimulating. Also sleep in a completely dark room. This should all help you sleep deeper and have more pleasant dreams.
Old 01-08-11, 09:16 PM

lisastar is on a distinguished road

My husband has a mild case of ADHD and he wakes up in the night and can't fall back asleep. He has to spend hours trying to relax and fall asleep again.
Old 01-16-11, 01:09 AM

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

Horrid creature of my mind,
how you hound me in the day
and elude me in the night.

in your hands is great power,
you can take me to places ive never been,
show me things ive never seen.
you can make my life hell,
kill my focus,
disable productivity

sleep, you horrid creature of my mind,
how you stalk me in the day
yet evade me in the night

when sought, you are no where to be found,
when needed, you're never profound
Yet when your not welcome,
you will sneak into my soul,
grip controll of my body,
and dull my mind

sleep, oh you evil creature of my mind
if I didnt need you, you wouldve been gone long ago

that was a poem that i wrote once at 2am ... hope u enjoy, it seems appropriate to stick it in here
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sighduck For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (03-21-11), br3akingchains (02-06-16), rb699 (01-16-11), tryn-optmsm (11-10-13)
Old 01-16-11, 03:19 PM
Jr Member

rb699 is on a distinguished road

Very nice Poem.
Old 01-21-11, 07:49 PM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb699 View Post
Well you only remember dreams that you have in the lighter stages of sleep. Are you getting up once you wake up the first time or are you going back to sleep? Usually going back to sleep is responsible for the lighter sleep and dreams as well as groggy exhaustion and can be eliminated by just getting up as soon as you wake up. Outside of that, if you are just having a lot of dreams I would suggest concentrating on winding down for a full hour if possible before going to sleep. During this time make it all about you, hot bath, soothing music, good smelling candles, meditation or prayer. The key is no TV or computer or anything mentally stimulating. Also sleep in a completely dark room. This should all help you sleep deeper and have more pleasant dreams.
The many dreams are over now. Must have just been an affect from going off medication. And during that time I wasn't waking up in the middle.

Don't say bath. I can't have those. My bath tub has sharp edges and is tiled.
Also, I don't meditate. Can't stay still or keep my thoughts concentrated for long enough.
Old 03-02-11, 02:24 PM

adderall77 is on a distinguished road

hey everyone, i am new to this whole forum thing, so if i do something wrong bare with me.

as a 16 year old who has been on almost every single add medication from the time i was 8, i feel like i could be helpful in solving different issues people face due to ADD meds.

over the years i have found sleep disorders to be a very normal and usual side effect while on ADD medications. but just because a side effect is normal does not mean that it will not cause problems in your everyday life.
at this point in my life i am on the drug; Adderall. and from what i have noticed one of the side effects from this drug is having trouble falling asleep. but, i dont mean just laying in bed for forty minutes before i can fall asleep, im talking about staying up for hours after getting in bed to read a book, or surf the internet. in the past i have actually gone full weeks getting less than three hours of sleep a night. the lack of energy and brain power i had was actually hurting me more than my focus problems.

about a month ago i knew that i had to find a way to force myself to get to sleep earlier, or i was going to run myself straight into the ground. so i came up with about three solutions that really worked well for me, and i hope that you will be able to use these successfully as well.

1. drink a large glass of milk about 30 minutes to an hour before you plan on sleeping. there is a chemical in milk that causes people to become tired. this solution would be a bit of a lesser version of taking an over the counter sleeping pill, but i would NOT recommend sleeping pills, in my mind; the fewer pills the better.
2. simply get rid of all the interesting distractions that can possibly catch you attention and keep you up.
3. keep hydrated. drink water through out the day, the more water that moves through your system, the better the medication will clear through your system. that means less of the chemicals still floating around in your blood stream by the time you decide to sleep.

i hope that you will find this advice to be useful, and i would love to hear that the solutions worked for someone. but keep in mind the fact that i am only a person posting my opinion on a forum, if you are experiencing severe problems GO CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adderall77 For This Useful Post:
ccadd25 (05-05-11), Imnapl (03-03-11), iwaw2f (03-21-11)
Old 03-20-11, 04:54 PM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,583 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a major insomniac, but I do have trouble falling asleep and even more trouble waking up. I usually go through bouts of insomnia where I go without a full night's sleep for weeks on end. Sometimes I try for hours to make my mind shut up. I even tried counting sheep a couple times, but then I started thinking about how cute sheep are and how wool is kinda scratchy unlike my new coat which I can't find and I was looking for it this morning which almost made me late for school and blah blah blah blah
Warm milk helps me a lot, my mom used to give it to me before bed as a kid so it could be just the routine of it telling my brain that it's bedtime, but idk.
Old 03-20-11, 05:57 PM

mandy_becca_06 is on a distinguished road

Ok...Hello everyone. My name is Amanda...I am a 25 year old female with ADD. I am a college graduate, but currently I am unemployed. Along with my unemployment comes this complete inability to regulate my sleeping schedule. It's so frustrating.
Since I have nothing to wake up for in the morning I go to bed very late, and wake up very late. I have tried to go to sleep early and I can't fall asleep, and when I try to force myself to wake up early so I will be tired earlier it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to drag myself out of bed. It's honestly always been a major battle for me since childhood but I always knew I had to get up so I wouldn't be late for work or miss class, now that push is gone. I'm having a really hard time just getting up for nothing, or really for tasks that can be completed within a looser time schedule, so I procrastinate them and continue sleeping.
I'm really at my wits end because I was falling asleep at about 4-5 am and getting up at 1 or 2 pm and just recently, today for instance, I couldn't fall asleep until 7:30 am and I slept until 4 pm. It's hindering my progress in terms of errands, job hunt, grad school work and so forth because I'm simply not awake when the rest of the world is.
I think I'm struggling so badly because I've always used either school or work to regulate my sleeping schedule, I'm just a night owl.

So now I'm wondering, should I try sleeping pills? Just to reset myself? I really don't like the idea of that, but I'm so frustrated I'm not quite sure what to do. I've tried melatonin, a supplement for relaxation and regulation of natural sleep patterns, but it didn't do anything for me. Nothing natural really has. I've also tried staying awake an entire day so that I'll fall asleep in the evening and when I've tried I end up completely passing out in the afternoon, only making things worse, no matter how hard I've tried.

Anyways, I'd be interested to hear suggestions. I'm sick of living in the evening.

Thanks all,
Amanda
Old 03-20-11, 09:58 PM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Amanda, it can take months to change your sleep wake cycle back to what it was.

Phaedrus

Old 03-21-11, 12:53 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,208 Times in 677 Posts
C8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to behold

Amanda- I went through that exact things the year I took off after graduating. It was miserable. I'm still dealing with it as well. Sleep pills were not helpful for me at all. I tried them a few times just because I was like you...at my wit's end. But I was a complete zombie the next day, and then finally woke up out of the funk about the time I was supposed to be going to bed. It's a painful difficult process, but you just have to slowly work it back to where you need it to be. The biggest problem is fighting the "frustration" when you can't go to sleep. If you let yourself get really frustrated, you'll keep yourself up longer.

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C8H10N4O2 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (03-21-11), mandy_becca_06 (03-21-11)
Old 04-02-11, 03:14 PM
Contributor

teacher abc will become famous soon enough

My DS has trouble sleeping but he screws himself up...he lets hakeimself sleep until late in the afternoon when he has trouble falling asleep the previous night and gets his cycle more and more out of wack (he is still asleep now). He takes Wellbutrin which may make it worse. I want him, for a two week period, to force himself to get up at a certain hour, so that we can at least be able to tell the doctor that he has tried to go to sleep at a reasonable hour and get up at the same time everyday (and I am not suggesting anything outrageous but being in bed by 1 a.m. and setting the alarm for 11). Otherwise he has no data to give the doctor. There have been more days lately that he has fallen asleep at 8 or 9 a.m....sigh.
Old 04-12-11, 09:04 PM
Jr Member

Jacstar10 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

Hello fellow Adda's

So I'm in desperate need of some help... I was 'diagnosed' with ADD about a year ago and have since been taking Dex.

I started consistently taking it at first - for about 6 - 8 months, but then over the Christmas period decided not to take it, as I have been given mixed advice as to whether or not it's important to take it when I'm not studying or not. My GP said it wasn't necessary, but my Psychiatrist said it was. My question is, do you think it is important to take it regularly - even on your 'low' and 'off' days - the days where you don't need to be fully focused?

The main concern I am facing at the moment though, is my sleep. I love Dex for what it has done in my life during the day... but at night, I find it really disrupts my sleep... like last night for example, I was up until 5am trying miserably to shut my mind off, but it never stops!! My Dr suggested taking my Dex right before I go to sleep, but I am petrified that it will keep me awake all night. Is there anyone out there that would suggest trying it? If so, should I stick with it for a week or so, even if it's not really working? I just don't want to stuff up my sleeping patterns even more so...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I need some sleep!

Thanks!