ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-13, 10:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of
Re: Anyone else affected by high pitch noises, extreme hearing?

Yes, I am very sensitive to sound. Annoying sound can drive me crazy. Sounds I like, clear music, can transform my world. Double edged sword.
Old 08-27-13, 12:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,126 Posts
phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future

Ditto, ditto and ditto!

Children screaming freaks me out too. I never know if they are dieing or just being abnoxious.

I hear all the sounds of the fridge, the heater, the grill, birds, bugs, the neigbors doing their dishes... all at once. Sigh....

I HATE motorcycles with the passion. The loud choppers specifially. I hate helicopters.

People's tones scare me too, I am very sensitive to the affliction in peoples voices and think they are angry when most of the time they say they are not.

Nighttime is the worst. I have to sleep with a whitenoise machine or else everything wakes me up.

My answer is YES!

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phantasm For This Useful Post:
Tulip7171 (12-16-13), Unmanagable (01-08-14)
Old 08-27-13, 10:53 AM

Thanked 26,868 Times in 12,538 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I've shared this before, but I don't have to worry about children screaming
along our street anymore. They've learned that I will come running out of
the house with my cell phone in hand, asking what's wrong and saying that
I'm calling 911 ... !

I also managed to keep the ice cream truck off our street by asking the
park office why the mobile home park is posted "No door to door sales" so
why are "house to house" sales allowed? That tinkling song played over
and over and over so loudly that I can hear it from 4 blocks away drives me
over the edge!

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-13, 10:59 AM

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we are being wrong or abnormal for being disturbed by this kind of sounds. In fact, I think we are the only normal ones: our hunter-gatherer ancestors relied mostly on their hearing to prevent being attacked by some animal, so, while noises such as the weaves of the sea, the rain, a river, birds singing were ok, even pleasant, high pitched noises could be made by a predator, another injured human or animal, so they trigger our fight-or-flight response. But since we can no longer run or fight anyone, we are just being stressed out by these noises. It's one of the reasons I love nature so much: there is no sound to really annoy me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Tulip7171 (12-16-13)
Old 11-11-13, 11:13 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corina86 View Post
I don't think we are being wrong or abnormal for being disturbed by this kind of sounds. In fact, I think we are the only normal ones: our hunter-gatherer ancestors relied mostly on their hearing to prevent being attacked by some animal, so, while noises such as the weaves of the sea, the rain, a river, birds singing were ok, even pleasant, high pitched noises could be made by a predator, another injured human or animal, so they trigger our fight-or-flight response. But since we can no longer run or fight anyone, we are just being stressed out by these noises. It's one of the reasons I love nature so much: there is no sound to really annoy me.
Bird song really annoys me, especially early in the morning too close to my window.

The sound of strong wind makes my anxiety go through the roof.

High pitch noise such as the "music" played by the ice cream truck make me feel violent.

Low growly noise like a 2-cycle motorcycle engine, the thump of the bass on the radio,
glass pack mufflers, make me want to scream and run away.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 11-11-13, 11:59 AM

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

@ Lunacie

Except for the birds' singing, the others would be perfectly normal if you were to live in a forest: strong wind might signal incoming storm (big danger), the ice-cream truck "music" is very annoying and totally unnatural and so are all the others. I get the same reaction as you have to motorcycle engine and pretty much every other sound that is made by man or machine, so I understand. I'm not trying to minimize the impact this sensitivity has on people's lives, just trying to figure out where it comes from.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Tulip7171 (12-16-13)
Old 12-16-13, 11:24 PM

animalcrazy is on a distinguished road

YES, I have always had an anger reation to high pitched sounds. When I had my hearing tested years ago I was told I could high pitch sounds that only dogs could hear. I doubt that is true. However, screaming children or a dog with a high pitch bark make really upset.
Old 12-16-13, 11:48 PM
Contributor

Tulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to behold

High pitched sounds, sudden loud noises, non-stop barking dogs, the imperceptible whine of electronics, loud voices, etc. It all drives me mad. I startle very easily & have had the flash & ringing that Greyhound described.

What's interesting, is though I hate just about all loud noise, including some music, if I'm listening to music I like, it can't be too loud. And I prefer hard rock, metal, punk, electronica... heavy, pounding rhythms, whining guitar solos, & shouted lyrics.

I don't flirt; I will seduce you with my awkwardness.
Old 01-08-14, 12:48 AM
Contributor

demfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip7171 View Post
the imperceptible whine of electronics
this this this this this!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demfabbones For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-08-14), Tulip7171 (01-08-14)
Old 01-08-14, 01:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

Yes, hearing and differentiating/prioritizing are different things.

I am very sensitive to sound.

I am also sensitive to light.

Sensitivity to touch is something I've outgrown for the most part but I still like comfortable clothes, bed, pillow, etc.
Old 01-08-14, 01:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiew View Post

Sensitivity to touch is something I've outgrown for the most part but I still like comfortable clothes, bed, pillow, etc.
I am also sensitive to *******. Fortunately, they are few and far between.
Old 01-08-14, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiew View Post

I'm still waiting to outgrow sensitivity to touch or anything else. I'm 62.

Old 01-08-14, 07:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

mischaelman is on a distinguished road

Sensitive to sound unless it's on my terms.

If I need background noise to focus it's fine, but I can't block out background noise from others when I'm practicing or trying to focusing on other tasks. When I do attempt to block out background noise I become exhausted very quickly.

Fluorescent lighting and the "energy efficient swirly bulbs" exhaust me. I've found that sunglasses help.
The Following User Says Thank You to mischaelman For This Useful Post:
Tulip7171 (01-08-14)
Old 01-28-14, 10:37 AM

ChristineMoon is on a distinguished road

I am not so sensitive to sound, but I do have very good hearing, and sometimes think my children/ husband are the ones that don't. I can hear him tell the kids, in a normal voice, to come upstairs and tell me something (upstairs, around walls). He can't hear when I yell an answer back.

I have no problems with auditory processing- hearing multiple conversations. Talking while watching tv, or background noises such as a fan affecting my hearing, but my daughter has all of those issues and more.

I hear the kids' betta fish when they eat/ swallow air if I am next to the tank. Sometimes I hear the quiet hum a lightbulb gives off. When I have a migraine, it is insanely loud. I swear that my father and his wife are starting to lose their hearing, but I can barely stay in a room when they are watching tv. I do have some sensory issues, but I don't think they affect my hearing in a bad way.
Old 11-19-16, 06:53 PM

hcstymie is on a distinguished road

Children can hear higher pitch sounds than adults. As we get older, we naturally lose some of our ability to hear those sounds. If you could hear high pitch sounds as a kid your parents couldn't, that is normal.

Part of being ADHD is not being able to filter out distractions as easily as everyone else. Normal people can "turn off" things in the background and not be distracted by them. i.e. normal people have better "selective hearing". "noise in the surrounding environment is heard by the auditory system but only certain parts of the auditory information are processed in the brain."
1. Noticing sounds other don't is probably more of a result of selective hearing.
2. Interesting thing though. People are very sensitive to hearing their own name. Someone might not hear you trying to talk to them, but as soon as you say their name, they can hear you. Or they might hear their name pop up in someone elses conversation at which before they were not at all aware of the conversation.

When we talk about "sensitivity" to high pitch sound, maybe we could distinguish better "sensitive" as in more sensitive ears being able to detect the sound. And "sensitive" being that the high pitch sounds bothers us. Had to reread a couple times to see which the person was referring to in some posts.
1. When I was a kid the hearing tests at school, I would be able to detect sounds well above normal. Surprised the person doing the test every time. Some at the high end I couldn't necessarily hear, but it was like a sixth sense telling me which ear it was in.
2. As a kid I could sometimes close my eyes while walking and sense objects as I approached and passed them through hearing. Like trees and garbage cans. I know there are some blind people who make clicking sounds and do this like a bat so to speak.

2. Now, between natural and unnatural (minor hearing loss due to loud music) I am sensitive to high pitch sounds. As in they bug the heck out of me. Listening to music in a system that is "bright" i.e. has the tweeter volume up high drives me nuts. Lots of trebble sounds fuzzy to me. Like extra unintended noise at the high end. Don't know if it is really there or if it is just me. They compress music recordings now to get rid of outlying sounds.

Had a hearing test a few years ago. Said my hearing was normal. But to me the world sounds a little muffled. Maybe the hearing loss I have from too much loud music is just dropping me down to normal.

Babies crying / children screaming in the super market. I just want to drop kick them, punt them out of the store. Give me nails on a chalk board over that any day. Flight from the U.S. to UAE, seats must have been in a children section. There were about 4 rows with a wall seperator in back and in front. Some baby thing on the wall in front to hang something that holds the child. That was a horrible experience.

For me patterns are the most distracting. If there is a pattern my brain will queue to it.
1. Sound with a pattern is worse than no pattern. High pitch sound with a pattern is the worst! Conversations I can filter out better than music. If I hear the slightest hint of someone listening to music I can't concentrate.
2. Visually patterns mess with me.
a. those moving adds on a web page. Sometimes have to resize the page and move the add off screen to concentrate.
b. Someone near by shaking their leg or tapping on something. If I can feel the vibration even a little it drives me nuts.

I have noticed other sensitivity
1. Visually, on CRT monitors, when the screen was white, if the refresh rate was at 60hz I couldn't even look at it. Looked like the screen was flashing to me. Even up to 75htz at times was noticeable. I'd look at someones monitor and tell them they had to increase the refresh rate before I could work with them on somehting. They couldn't even detect it.
2. Strobe lights are horrible. Was fun when I was a kid. Now I just want to kill the person who turned them on.
3. Touch sensitivity. A little as an adult but not too bad. Socks were horrible when I was a kid though. Had to line them up just right and fit into my shoe just right or it drove me nuts. If they shifted later I'd be pulling and twisting them trying to get them to feel right. Father found it kind of funny. I didn't.