ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-15-13, 09:17 PM

johnny12 is on a distinguished road
Should I take Adderall as a means of re-gaining my confidence?

Ok, before you jump to conclusions here and bash me for stooping to medicinal purposes to regain confidence, hear me out...

Last year, I had always viewed myself as sort of a shy, yet easy going guy. I remember getting somewhat nervous in specific social situations, but nothing too bad that I had to raise a red flag to it. I won't beat around the bush here, I am a good-looking guy, and deal with a lot female attention, so I sort of got used to it.

I started my first ever relationship with a girl that I worked with at the end of last summer, and it ended around 7 months ago (And by "ended", I mean she broke up with me because "Things were going too fast", etc.) Long story short, this happening completely crushed me, and along with being somewhat depressed, I also became far less confident and haven't been able to get out of that funk since.

What I am asking all of you lovely Yahoo Answerers is if I should look into finding some adderall, maybe a couple of weeks worth (maybe take 30mg a day, so around 420 mg total) and using the euphoric, confidence boosting effects that it entails as a way to re-gain my self-confidence.

Now I wouldn't necessarily take it EVERY day, but maybe just when I am going to a social situation where there will be a copious amount of people present (i.e. a bar). I know that I'm smart enough to not get addicted to it, so I was wondering if by chance anyone out there has had any type of experience with a similar situation.

I would only be using this to get me back up on my feet, and get some momentum going as far as my confidence is concerned.

**I'm currently 21 years old, and have used adderall to study at school before, and thus have had experience with what the effects of adderall are on me.

**I am also going to see a Psychiatrist next week to be examined for ADHD
Old 07-15-13, 09:47 PM

Thanked 1,367 Times in 562 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I take Adderall as a means of re-gaining my confidence?

If you take Adderall for confidence than any success you have you'll attribute to the Adderall. You'll psych yourself out and the effects won't be the same every time. You'll end up abusing it. I had a friend(yes it really is a friend and not me) who took adderall for the same reasons and ended up moving to hard core meth. I didn't see him for a long time till he got out of prison.

There is a right reason and a wrong reason to take a med, You can't take something for what it is not intended or prescribed for. Adderall was never intended, or prescribed for euphoria. It's a side effect, often pertaining to too much. Social confidence is strictly SSRI territory and it sounds like that's what you need more than Adderall, but honestly I don't think you have a neurochemical disorder, you just went through a bad break and are having a hard time.

If you use meds to deal with hard times now, than this will mark how you deal with hard times in the future. You will numb and avoid things rather than truely cope and deal with it. You'll escape the pain rather than actually face it. The consequences of numbing pain is that it never actually goes away. You'll be forced to keep running and run faster and thats when you will become a junkie.

The way life works in hard times is that you are dealt X amount of pain and you either deal with it, face it and change for the better from it or you hide from it and wait for it to catch you again later.

So my advice and it's just mine, is that you get therapeutic counseling on how to deal with the bumps in the road that life gives you without relying on meds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InvitroCanibal For This Useful Post:
Canadian Mess (07-16-13), cbassolympics (07-16-13), Parterxred (07-15-13)
Old 07-15-13, 10:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

Hey, I feel for you. The only reason to take Adderall or any stimulant is if you have been diagnosed with ADHD.

Search yourself and seek therapy. If you have ADHD it will be apparent. You will be able to tick off symptoms of it throughout your life. For a p-doc since early adolescence.

Drug seeking is not the way to go. You might have "issues" that would be better addressed in talk therapy or with another med. Leave that to the professionals to figure out.
Old 07-16-13, 12:17 AM
Jr Member

UltraFlex13 is on a distinguished road

I don't think you will find the answer you're looking for on this forum. Yes it can somewhat help with confidence, social interactions, etc.. Do those effects last? No. You're MUCH better off going to therapy to get over the anxiety that comes with social settings. Again I know this is not much help to you, I only wanted to inform you that you're in the wrong place. In my opinion, this is why ADHD meds get a bad reputation.
Old 07-16-13, 04:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

No, you should not take adderall for self confidence.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-16-13, 05:04 AM
Contributor

arxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny12 View Post
Ok, before you jump to conclusions here and bash me for stooping to medicinal purposes to regain confidence, hear me out...

Last year, I had always viewed myself as sort of a shy, yet easy going guy. I remember getting somewhat nervous in specific social situations, but nothing too bad that I had to raise a red flag to it. I won't beat around the bush here, I am a good-looking guy, and deal with a lot female attention, so I sort of got used to it.

I started my first ever relationship with a girl that I worked with at the end of last summer, and it ended around 7 months ago (And by "ended", I mean she broke up with me because "Things were going too fast", etc.) Long story short, this happening completely crushed me, and along with being somewhat depressed, I also became far less confident and haven't been able to get out of that funk since.

What I am asking all of you lovely Yahoo Answerers is if I should look into finding some adderall, maybe a couple of weeks worth (maybe take 30mg a day, so around 420 mg total) and using the euphoric, confidence boosting effects that it entails as a way to re-gain my self-confidence.

Now I wouldn't necessarily take it EVERY day, but maybe just when I am going to a social situation where there will be a copious amount of people present (i.e. a bar). I know that I'm smart enough to not get addicted to it, so I was wondering if by chance anyone out there has had any type of experience with a similar situation.

I would only be using this to get me back up on my feet, and get some momentum going as far as my confidence is concerned.

**I'm currently 21 years old, and have used adderall to study at school before, and thus have had experience with what the effects of adderall are on me.

**I am also going to see a Psychiatrist next week to be examined for ADHD

I would say,to your question no. Thats not what you should be doing and thats not what your doctor will give it to you for. IF you have ADHD,then you have issues with self regulation of behavior,and inhibition. IF you do,that COULD be the root of your social problems,and you may not even realize it. If thats the case,adderall could help with those symptoms. If your problem is your lack confidence,there are other,much better ways to deal with that.

I talk rapidly and non stop,talk over people,cut them off ,switch topics constantly,and sometimes just get distracted and walk away. This makes social situations very difficult,no one wants to be around me,and women dont like it when your constantly late,never keep your promises and as they perceive it,never listen to them and dont care what they say.

I used to go out with this girl,and one time,I got distracted during sex. The odd thing was,usually,if you get distracted when a woman is talking to you,they freak out and think your not paying attention to them. The funny thing was,she just got my attention,told me to focus on her and everything was fine. She had a whole pharmacy on her night stand,I recognized some of them,prozac,welbutrin,and some others,but I had no idea what Adderall was. Makes sense that she didn't freak out. Wish she would have told me,but considering that she was hiding her problems from me,she probably thought I was trying to hide mine from her. If I did it once,I probably did it other times,so I bet I have had problems with it I never realized.

The thing is,the psychiatrist can help you with your problem,whatever it may be. Be honest,let him diagnose you and give his treatment a honest try.

The term for what you did with adderall is ABUSED. The fact that you started to use it to study,now you want to use it to get high,is a dangerous thing. Im assuming what you mean by going to get evaluated is,going Dr Shopping to get your speed. If thats what your doing,its a very bad idea. You have a genuine opportunity to help yourself. Dont waste it. Tell the psychiatrist your actual problems,and let them actually treat you. If you just abuse drugs to fix your problems,your going to be in a world of hurt when it all comes home to roost. On the other hand,they can treat your depression and social problems. If you dont have ADHD,its possible,with treatment,you might actually be 100% normal. Id give my left testical for that....or did I already give my right one,cant remember but I this could be a pro..... Oh a squirrel.....

Last edited by arxonius; 07-16-13 at 05:19 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arxonius For This Useful Post:
Canadian Mess (07-16-13), collegewriter (07-16-13)
Old 07-16-13, 10:00 AM
Jr Member

collegewriter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxonius View Post
I would say,to your question no. Thats not what you should be doing and thats not what your doctor will give it to you for. IF you have ADHD,then you have issues with self regulation of behavior,and inhibition. IF you do,that COULD be the root of your social problems,and you may not even realize it. If thats the case,adderall could help with those symptoms. If your problem is your lack confidence,there are other,much better ways to deal with that.

I talk rapidly and non stop,talk over people,cut them off ,switch topics constantly,and sometimes just get distracted and walk away. This makes social situations very difficult,no one wants to be around me,and women dont like it when your constantly late,never keep your promises and as they perceive it,never listen to them and dont care what they say.

I used to go out with this girl,and one time,I got distracted during sex. The odd thing was,usually,if you get distracted when a woman is talking to you,they freak out and think your not paying attention to them. The funny thing was,she just got my attention,told me to focus on her and everything was fine. She had a whole pharmacy on her night stand,I recognized some of them,prozac,welbutrin,and some others,but I had no idea what Adderall was. Makes sense that she didn't freak out. Wish she would have told me,but considering that she was hiding her problems from me,she probably thought I was trying to hide mine from her. If I did it once,I probably did it other times,so I bet I have had problems with it I never realized.

The thing is,the psychiatrist can help you with your problem,whatever it may be. Be honest,let him diagnose you and give his treatment a honest try.

The term for what you did with adderall is ABUSED. The fact that you started to use it to study,now you want to use it to get high,is a dangerous thing. Im assuming what you mean by going to get evaluated is,going Dr Shopping to get your speed. If thats what your doing,its a very bad idea. You have a genuine opportunity to help yourself. Dont waste it. Tell the psychiatrist your actual problems,and let them actually treat you. If you just abuse drugs to fix your problems,your going to be in a world of hurt when it all comes home to roost. On the other hand,they can treat your depression and social problems. If you dont have ADHD,its possible,with treatment,you might actually be 100% normal. Id give my left testical for that....or did I already give my right one,cant remember but I this could be a pro..... Oh a squirrel.....
Johnny12, please listen to this advice. Once you go down this road, it's incredibly difficult to turn back. For some people, it's impossible.
Old 07-16-13, 10:28 AM
Contributor

Canadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to behold

Look buddy, hate to say it but meds aren't the answer. Even if you did have ADHD... which isn't apparent from what you wrote. It sounds more like you have hit some bumps in the road by being dumped and have lost some self-confidence. Using a med to fill in that hole isn't going to make you something that you are not.

A better filler, would be to think about why the relationship didn't work out - "you were going too fast." Maybe that means you were OVER confident, going across her boundaries, making her uncomfortable.

That europhic feeling you talk about isn't what you are actually looking for. Instead, maybe it's time to talk to a therapist about your relationships, why things didn't work out instead of trying to get high and attempt a relationship.

Maybe what you need isn't more confidence, but learning how to respond to a girl's feelings, learning to be actually concerned about her when she gives you cues that she isn't ready. Listen to her. Don't take some meds you don't need which could cost you your health and future relationships. Read some of the threads from people who got addicted and what it did to their lives and relationships, you don't want to go down that road. Ever. No girl deserves that, and you don't either.

Abusing a drug (which is what you are sounding like you are doing by trying to get stimulants intended for ADHD which you do not have), is a bad idea. What if it messes up your brain, makes you addicted or the girl still doesn't like you... think about it and abort the mission. Get help instead, that comes from within you and from a therapist.
Old 07-16-13, 10:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,751 Times in 14,141 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you shouldn't. You seem to have posted this question on Yahoo forums as well (which I wouldn't trust by the way..) but please listen to the people who actually have ADHD and are dependent on medication that is exclusively meant for them (i'm not one of them, by the way).

Adderall doesn't help with confidence. If you have ADHD, then stimulant medication might help you to perform better with very specific ADHD related issues but the med on its own can't give you confidence.

Do you think that you might have ADHD? Either way, see your psychiatrist and be honest with him. Tell him about your problems and let him decide what your issues are and what treatment you require. If you self medicate or give your psychiatrist a dishonest account of your issues to get diagnosed with ADHD, you will lose the opportunity to actually get to the bottom of your problems and receive treatment or help for YOUR problems.

More importantly, taking stimulants without professional supervision can be dangerous (apart from illegal). There is a reason why these meds are not available over the counter. Medication affects everyone else and you don't want to find yourself in a situation where you are creating more problems for yourself. Problems that you won't be able to get help with because you have obtained adderall illegally.
Old 07-16-13, 01:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

If you actually do have ADHD, stimulants do help with self confidence. On them, I am better able to read social situations, am less nervous, less likely to say something stupid, and better able to engage in small talk- all of which help to make me more confident in social situations.

I'm naturally pretty confident around my friends and when I'm by myself though, so it's really just the ADHD getting in the way of social interactions that reduces my confidence.

If you don't have ADHD, and you aren't lacking in these things, I don't think stimulants will help you: They won't help you recover from a broken heart.
Old 07-19-13, 09:45 AM

no_sleep is on a distinguished road

From being in a similar situation in the past, my answer to you is absolutely not. The problem with using adderall for confidence, self esteem, getting through a breakup, or for any other emotional related reasons, is that adderall is addictive. The very ingredients that fuel addiction are painful/hurt feelings and a pill to avoid feeling them. I know you say you wont tale it all the time and it will only be for a little while, but you will find reasons to tell yourself it's okay to keep taking. It helps you in school, get more things done, whatever. Not even realizing it, Sooner or later the thought of not having adderall will be scary. I could go on but everyone's experience with adderall is their own, some good some bad, but I can tell you taking adderall for any emotional related reasons will end up bad. I was in the same situation as you last year (except I'm a girl) haha and just trust me, adderall is not the way to go. I completely understand where you are coming from and why it might not seem like that bad of an idea, I was there. Ill just say it was the worst year of my life in all areas. My physical mental and emotional health took a downward spiral over the course of two years - the last year was when it all took a toll and really put my future in jeopardy. I won't get into details but just please don't make the mistake I did in thinking that it would never happen to you. Adderall is pure amphetamine salts don't mess with them to fix your feelings... You will be fine and everything will work out after some time.