ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 03-12-05, 01:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

Vero is on a distinguished road
Tardiness at Work Might Cost a Promotion

I work for a large corporation and I enjoy my job. I am in a unique position right now because the person I used to work with resigned and I am tentatively next in line for his job. Since my coworker's resignation I have been performing his job in addition to my own and things are running smoothly. So I should get the promotion, right?

My manager and HR dept are aware that I have ADHD and so far they've been pretty cool about it. Legally I think they have to be. I've been on Strattera & Lexapro for a year now and I'm doing ok on the meds. However, I am still consistently late for work. Usually it's only 3 or 4 minutes late. My manager (I think) understands somewhat that it's not something I do intentionally and I feel so stupid that I can't get there on time consistently. It's always something so dumb that gets me sidetracked while getting ready in the morning. The other day I totally slept thru both of my alarms so I was already down to the wire as far as "potential" to get to work on time. Then I clipped my fingernail with the razor in the shower (no worries I'm ok). But then I couldn't find my nail trimmer to fix it and I ran around my house for 15 minutes trying to find it. So, long story short, I was 20 minutes late for work. I called my boss from home to tell her I was late and she sounded slightly exasperated (sp?). So when I got there I emailed her and asked if she was mad I was late. She replied that she wasn't mad, just disappointed because she is trying to work something out for me and I make it much harder for her to do that when I am late.

So now I'm nervous. It's been 2 months and they haven't filled my coworker's position. Meantime I am going nuts to keep up with all the work and fretting that my stupid brain malfunction is going to screw me in the end just like it has at my other jobs.

Maybe I am just jumping to the worst-case scenario. I don't know. But you would think if someone knows something they would have told me by now unless it was bad, right?

I really wish the corporate world would just get over it. If a person does a fantastic job and has great potential, why can't they overlook this one small flaw I have? I will probably always be a little late to work, but I will always be dependably late... and only a few minutes. I just want a chance to move up in this world. And lately I've been feeling like I am destined for mediocrity.

We're supposed to be the hunters, right? Anyone relate???
Old 03-12-05, 02:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
As much as I hate to say it, I feel like the same thing is happening to me. The only difference is I have not told my boss about my ADD. I wish i had some advice, but I am sorry to say I don't, but I will be watching for what others have to say.
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 03-12-05, 08:48 PM
Contributor

herekittykitty is on a distinguished road
same here. Only I push the envelope--up to 90 minutes late, etc.

Work starts at 10am for me. I get in sometime between 10:15 (wow! meds must be working!) and 11 (aww, not again...guilt-ridden). The thing is, when I have a meeting scheduled for say 9am or so, I get there on time--no time to spare, mind you, but I get there.

I also remember reading a joke somewhere--long, long time ago--about a woman who simply couldn't get to work by the 9am starting time--she was always late, coming in at 9:15. Her boss sympathized, and said, 'okay, tell ya what. For you, starting time is 9:15. Don't sweat it.' From the next day forward, the employee never made it to work before 9:30.

I think in my case, it's a question of time perception--I tell myself I have to be in by 10, and I probably could be if I didn't get distracted by stuff and actually kept moving in the morning. I overshoot the mark every time.

What if you artificially move your work starting time up a bit? Don't aim for the time they want you there; aim for 30 minutes before. You'll never actually be there 30 minutes before (g), but likely will be by starting time.

I'm in a band, and the other members simply tell me to be at practice 30 minutes before they want me to be there. Yeah, I'm hip to what they're doing by now, but we all realize I need that window of extra time, soooo...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-05, 08:55 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
Vero, I may have an idea for you. Tell me about your office layout. Do you have your own office? A cubicle? How close is the bathroom to your office?

Regards,
Coral
Old 03-13-05, 06:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hi Coral,
I'm intrigued.... I have a cube and am in an area with 4 other people and an office on the end with a VP in there. The loo is in the hallway, I dunno.... 20 yards away or so.
Old 03-13-05, 09:07 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero
Hi Coral,
I'm intrigued.... I have a cube and am in an area with 4 other people and an office on the end with a VP in there. The loo is in the hallway, I dunno.... 20 yards away or so.
See what you think of this plan. IMHO, appearances count. Your boss wants you to work on time, but that is not to say that everything you have to do at home to get ready for work has to be done at home. If you wear makeup, you can save yourself a lot of time by putting on some of it at work. Say, skip the eye makeup and just come to work in dark glasses and as soon as you check in and smile, make a beeline for the bathroom and finish up some of it there. There are actually small lighted makeup mirrors that would allow your to put on some of your makeup while sitting on the toilet. Whose to know? When you gotta go, you gotta go.

You might actually brush your teeth in the bathroom at work. All you would have to do is keep a toothbrush at work. Explain your dentist has demanded you brush your teeth after every cup of coffee. No one can fault you for hygiene. You know, people are far more likely to think ill of you for having ADD than for brushing your teeth obsessively.

The method is to cut your getting ready time. My guess is that you are just not a morning person and that what would take some people a half hour to do in the morning may take a whole hour for you. Add the ADD to that and . . .

It is game. Just play the game.

We cannot change the world's rules, but sometimes we can fool the world into thinking we are complying.
Old 03-13-05, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
Good ideas, I may have to look into some of these for myself.
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 03-14-05, 12:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

BananaSlip is on a distinguished road
Man, I feel for ya! No matter how hard you work or how high the quality of your work is, what people tend to notice most is the outward appearance of a worker. So much value is attached to perfect punctuality. What does a few minutes matter when you're first arriving in the morning and especially if you have a choice of staying after quitting time to finish work? How I wish we went by sunrise, noon, sunset, and moonrise. That would make things simple, eh? Too bad we live in a complex society. Take care and good luck!
Old 03-29-05, 08:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hi All,
It's been 2 weeks and still no word on this promotion. I've decided if my tardiness comes up again I am just going to ask them to please overlook it. I've been late for every job since I was 15 years old and I really don't think it's going to change. I am just going to tell them that I have many other redeeming characteristics and if they can just look past this one little qwirky thing I do and give me a chance they won't be disappointed.

Otherwise, what the hell else am I supposed to do? File for disability??? I would go bonkers from the boredom. Besides the fact that I am extremely able to do my job - just not at presisely 8:00 am in the morning.

.....I'm screwed.
Old 03-30-05, 01:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
I would consider scheduling a quick meeting with an HR rep about this particular issue. Ask directly if the holdup on the promotion is due to tardiness. Consider stating that the degree of tardiness is rather minimal and ask that it be overlooked as a formal ADA accomodation. (This is kind of extreme. Since your job doesn't seem to be in danger, I don't know if I'd necessarily go this route. If you do, though, write a letter, submit it formally during the meeting, and, consider mailing a second copy registered to the HR dept so you've got 100% proof they've at least seen your request. Don't count on any recourse if nothing comes of it. 99% of all ADA employment cases are won by employers.) Document this meeting by arranging it via email, and send a "thank you" email afterward summarizing what went on. Save and print all these emails and any replies. Keep copies away from the office, either at home (if you can be sure you won't lose them), or someplace like a bank deposit box, lawyer's offfice, or your a relative's house.

The name of the game in corporate America is, unfortunately, "cover thy butt." Make sure you do.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper