ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-14, 04:28 AM
Jr Member

Jordan2377 is on a distinguished road
Are 'racing thoughts' an ADHD symptom?

I have something called 'racing thoughts' it is hard to describe the sensation really. But it's like if you had various fragments of music and voices all playing simultaneously along with images or video like motions that pervade you're consciousness and they play in loops often of the time.

I have had this for years and didn't know there was a term for it until recently, so is this one of the many symptoms of ADHD?
Old 01-05-14, 12:51 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,743 Times in 881 Posts
Baal Moom has disabled reputation
Re: Are 'racing thoughts' an ADHD symptom?

So that's what "racing thoughts" means. I thought it was somethig else. Quite a few people here experience this, from what I've read, me included. I don't know whether it's an ADHD symptom, though it makes sense to me if it is. The mind simultaneously trying to think about thirty random things...
Old 01-06-14, 01:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

I think racing thoughts can happen with ADHD, with anxiety, and with bipolar disorder. There are some fine lines best left to a pdoc...
Old 01-06-14, 01:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

no, 80% sure it's not. When taking Adderall for adhd, racing thoughts is a side effect. Racing thoughts are a sign of anxiety and bipolar.. probably more. Adhd just has a broad range of focus, rather than a narrow one. We find a lot of things interesting while some of our attention is on what everyone else is paying attention to (like a speaker). We pay attention to irrelevant stimuli. like a pencil dropping. We just have a lot of things on our mind. However, someone with racing hypomanic thoughts as in bipolar disorder, has a lot on his/her mind, but the thoughts are so fast that they can not keep up with them. This is called a flight of ideas.
Old 01-06-14, 01:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,079 Times in 569 Posts
ADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud of

My talk therists told me her ADHD patients have told her it's like having a brain going 60mph. In a 30. So that sounds like racing thoughts to me.

My brain is going all the time. I've had two experiences of thoughts racing so muc it was almost like a headache.
Medication: Short acting generic Adderall; low dose of escitalopram.
Old 01-06-14, 02:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

looks like I maybe stand corrected. I have inattentive type, so maybe it's completely different.