ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 08-09-14, 10:23 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,311 Times in 7,806 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Floating anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
Absolutely not. That is sort of like saying a shot of bourbon is the same as alcohol poisoning

I think free floating anxiety is the prominent symptom of GAD. I think you can have some free floating anxiety without it being GAD. I don't think you can have GAD without excessive free floating anxiety.

Uncontrollable and overwhelming free floating anxiety would be GAD.

Quote:
Overview of Anxiety
Anxiety is a normal reaction to threatening, dangerous, uncertain, or important situations. Psychiatric medicine classifies anxiety as normal or pathological. In many cases, normal anxiety can enhance function, motivation, and productivity (e.g., in the person who works well under pressure). People with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) experience pathological anxiety, which is excessive, chronic, and typically interferes with the ability to function in normal daily activities. Generalized or "free-floating" anxiety is distinguished from phobia because it is not triggered by a specific object or situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-07-14)
Old 08-09-14, 03:41 PM
Forum Guru

Hathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished road

I don't know, I have social anxiety/avoidance and very rarely [if ever] experience anxiety over nothing, but since I am otherwise pretty chill I am not a good example

great topic thou.

Edit: nah, I disagree on further reflexion. Excessive Anxiety from nothing is not general, unless nothing is general LOL lOL lOLL

2nd edit: ok now I see the problem, I was thinking about Angst about the true nothing [sic] and not a lack of specificity

Quote:
Generalized or "free-floating" anxiety is distinguished from phobia because it is not triggered by a specific object or situation.
when you said this in post 2: "It is when you get anxiety out of nowhere", I thought of Angst, hence the babylon/cortisone produktion problem:

Quote:

20. What we call a “feeling” is neither a transitory epiphenomenon of our thinking and willing behavior nor simply an impulse that provokes such behavior nor merely a present condition we have to put up with somehow or other. But just when moods of this sort bring us face to face with beings as a whole they conceal from us the nothing we are seeking. Now we come to share even less in the opinion that the negation of beings as a whole that are revealed to us in mood places us before the nothing. Such a thing could happen only in a correspondingly original mood which in the most proper sense of unveiling reveals the nothing.

21. Does such an attunement, in which man is brought before the nothing itself, occur in human existence? This can and does occur, although rarely enough and only for a moment, in the fundamental mood of anxiety. By this anxiety we do not mean the quite common anxiousness, ultimately reducible to fearfulness, which all too readily comes over us. Anxiety is basically different from fear. We become afraid in the face of this or that particular being that threatens us in this or that particular respect. Fear in the face of something is also in each case a fear for something in particular. Because fear possesses this trait of being “fear in the face of” and “fear for,” he who fears and is afraid is captive to the mood in which he finds himself. Striving to rescue himself from this particular thing, he becomes unsure of everything else and completely “loses his head.” 22. Anxiety does not let such confusion arise. Much to the contrary, a peculiar calm pervades it. Anxiety is indeed anxiety in the face of... ,but not in the face of this or that thing. Anxiety in the face of . . . is always anxiety for . . . , but not for this or that. The indeterminateness of that in the face of which and for which we become anxious is no mere lack of determination but rather the essential impossibility of determining it. In a familiar phrase this indeterminateness comes to the fore.

23. In anxiety, we say, “one feels ill at ease [es ist einem un*heimlich].” What is “it” that makes “one” feel ill at ease? We cannot say what it is before which one feels ill at ease. As a whole it is so for him. All things and we ourselves sink into indifference. This, however, not in the sense of mere disappearance. Rather in this very receding things turn toward us. The receding of beings as a whole that closes in on us in anxiety oppresses us. We can get no hold on things. In the slipping away of beings only this “no hold on things” comes over us and remains. Anxiety reveals the nothing.
http://www.naturalthinker.net/trl/te...etaphysics.htm

1/3 = .333...
2/3 = .666...

Happy 1k dog

Last edited by Hathor; 08-09-14 at 04:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hathor For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-13-14)
Old 08-13-14, 09:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,123 Times in 673 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Still confused
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-14, 11:41 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,311 Times in 7,806 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Still confused
I think the more we learn about it the more we realize how confused we really are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-07-14)
Old 08-17-14, 04:56 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

What natural ways can we defeat it?
Old 12-06-14, 08:37 PM

Is floating anxiety their a good website that explains free
Old 12-07-14, 02:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

MrsNewton is a jewel in the roughMrsNewton is a jewel in the roughMrsNewton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Still confused
So, GAD is just a way of saying "Random anxiety, of all kinds with and without reason". As opposed to Social Anxiety, which doesn't usually involve, say, worrying about our loved ones being in a car accident, GAD involves all different kinds of anxiety and worrying thoughts.

Floating anxiety is just describing the kind of anxiety you get when you're, say, walking down the street and your heart starts racing for no apparent reason. You get the anxious feeling, but there isn't anything specific that triggered it.

You can have floating anxiety without having GAD, but not the other way around.
Old 12-26-14, 08:00 PM

I still don't understand floating anxiety
Old 12-27-14, 09:11 AM
Forum Guru

Hathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished road

just go with it and let the answers come as insights. I doubt anyone understands it completely, so perhaps you are better off than somebody who thinks they understand; understand?

The Following User Says Thank You to Hathor For This Useful Post:
excel (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 01:11 PM

Floating anxiety is a pain in the neck
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
SashaBV (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 07:21 PM

do you have floating anxiety
Old 10-24-18, 10:52 PM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

I've had free-floating anxiety. It's the mystery anxiety.

free-floating anxiety
severe, generalized anxiety having no apparent connection to any specific object, situation, or idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
excel (10-24-18)