ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-08, 02:01 AM

sturg1dj is on a distinguished road
Re: Food texture hypersensitivity

I just stumbled onto this thread on this site and it amazes me. Everyone in my family has always treated me like I was weird (they also never believed that I had ADD until I was 24 and got checked out on my own).

For me

1) Food cannot touch
2) if multiple foods, I need to eat each part separate. Like Fries first, followed by burger
3) I cannot handle certain textures...these include most veggies and fruits...so you can imagine how healthy I am. I eat a burger it needs to be plain. I eat pizza it cannot have veggies. I like the taste of onions, but I cannot bite through a piece of onion on a pizza.

the smoothie idea is a great one...I need to buy a blender now...haha

its amazing how much of a relief this is to me...haha. knowing that there are more people like me...and it also angers me that this monkey on my back (ADD) is making my life even harder than I originally thought.

now I am off to really look over these forums and see what else I need to know!
Old 08-11-08, 02:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ravenna has a spectacular aura aboutRavenna has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewvibe View Post
I posted this in the "nutrition" forum before realizing that this is probably a much better place for it.

Until I was about 2 years old, I had no problem eating anything my mother would feed me. Then, one day, something "clicked," and suddenly, a wide variety of foods became intolerable.

This has continued to this day. The "acceptable" and "unacceptable" foods have never changed, in those 22 years.

It has become clear to me that the issue has to do with the texture of the foods rather than their taste. For example, tomato sauce (with no chunks) is great, but I could not eat a whole tomato. Fruit-flavored drinks and candies are fine, but fruit itself is impossible. Cooked meat is fine, but undercooked meat is intolerable.

There is something about a particular kind of "squishy" texture that is intolerable to me. I cannot help but gag. The thought of eating one of the offending foods is truly sickening, to the point that I am not sure I would be able to do it even if my life depended on it. My negative associations are so strong that even having a bowl of fruit on the table when I eat is very disturbing--the smell particularly, but also the sight, is truly revolting.

I'm sorry if the emotions and images I'm conjuring up are disturbing. I'm trying to give an accuate picture of the situation, though.

I read somewhere on the web, in a not-so-reliable-seeming source, that food texture hypersensitivity is higher among people with ADD than others. I was wondering if anyone here has the same issues I do with food texture. I have met one other person who is *exactly* the same as I am in this dimension--we have precisely the same list of excluded items.

I haven't had any luck getting over this problem with Adderall or Wellbutrin (not that I was expecting to), but I was wondering if anyone has found anything that can help. It would be really great if going out to dinner became a pleasure rather than a stressful experience, and it would be really great if I could start eating healthy vegetables rather than just taking supplements.
THANKYOU!!!!

Ive tried to explain why I wont eat seafood because I dont like the way it feels in my mouth or to chew....its got NOTHING to do with flavour....the 'mouth feel' is enough to make me gag....swallowing it is just so far out of the question its ridiculous... I think I could successfully amputate a limb with a rusty spoon as a preferable alternative.

So this is a normal thing in ADD then? I just thought I was really strange....

ADHD - undx, BP rapid cycling - 40mg Paroxetine, 5mg Zyprexa
Solo Mum of:
J, 14, dx ADHD - 20mg Ritalin LA and
R, 10, dx ADHD - 40mg Ritalin LA, 10mg Ritalin, 100mcg Catapres

Next mood swing 2.5 seconds....
Old 01-31-09, 06:50 PM

Bellababe will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Food texture hypersensitivity

Im 18 years old and i've always thought i was a freak. i can't eat fruites or veggies or meat or hardly anything because the way it feels in my moulth freaks me out . i bassicly surivive on crackers.
i want to thank everyone who posted on this forum for showing me im not alone and giving the strength to seek help.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-09, 08:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

warmwellcomes bellbabe your most wellcome we alot alike here on the fourms dorm
Old 02-21-09, 03:48 AM

dani_hatcher is on a distinguished road

My name is Dani and I'm 20...I have always known there was something keeping me from eating certain foods...My family does not know how I survive with only eating a small variety of foods...I can't eat mixed flavors...like pizza, salad, stew, soup...I can eat steak by itself or dip it in sauce...I can eat fries in ketchup and also beef...but i cannot eat a hamburger put together...its not just the texture but the taste that makes me cringe...I'm so glad I finally figured out that I may have a eating disorder and that I'm not just being stubborn...I would love to talk to others with the same problem...

Last edited by EYEFORGOT; 02-23-09 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: email removed. please see guidelines
Old 02-23-09, 05:10 PM

hey dain you can contac me anytime here
i allways be happy to talk to you

and i more than understand what your going though as well

dorm
Old 02-24-09, 01:56 PM

Bywren will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Food texture hypersensitivity

OMG. I had never put two and two together, but my adult stepsons, who I know find out have ADD, have food issues like that!!

The younger one, in his late 20s, refuses to eat anything with "sauces", he hates the texture of sauces. He also refuses to eat anything that leaves something on his fingers (like Cheetos or Doritos.) He also hates swimming and hot tubs, becuase of the getting wet (but he showers because he has to.)

The older one, who has the most ADD in the family, only eats the same things over and over. He orders the same things and tries to eat in the same restaurants over and over.

My youngest stepdaughter has had food issues her whole life, and she's mildly ADD. She has an issue with taste.. before I came along she would eat so much because of the taste sensation that she would literally throw up. Yet her family continued to let her eat this way (she's battled her weight since she was 6.) She said that she can't get enough of how things taste, and is obsessed with it. The older stepdaughter has fought her weight her whole life because of food issues (and she's more ADD than her sister.)

My husband, who I know also find out has ADD, is addicted to food, as well. He does not seem to have taste issues, but just a generally unhealthy addiction to eating.

This is quite interesting, as I'd never considered that the unusual food issues they all have, could be their ADD. There are other sensory issues with them, but I'll see what else is in this forum for that. Wow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bywren For This Useful Post:
kattsqueen (04-03-09)
Old 02-26-09, 02:34 AM

Thanked 8,493 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

I will want to keeping eating past full because of the good taste. Or I will just keep eating out of inattentiveness.
I will also go looking for food out of restlessness and boredom, another fidget outlet I guess.
I have been very aware of this since high school though and have been working on it, so its not an issue, just something I have to remind myself of. Its just about full time habit now to tell myself; "Uhh hunny, you're full"
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
kettish (03-09-09)
Old 02-28-09, 08:30 PM

its allways been and iusesss and allways will be i think

shame really

but i still like food

dorm
Old 03-01-09, 02:29 PM
Jr Member

shellbell is on a distinguished road

Meat of any kind when I was young my mom used to make me or at least try to make me eat meat I would pick around the hamburger helper and just eat the noodles I hated it for the longest time but now I am ok with a little bit.
Old 03-03-09, 07:52 PM

i dislike meat even now i dont like the way it feels or the consitent any fat on the meat i wont eat! in the end

dorm
Old 03-09-09, 06:51 PM
Contributor

kettish will become famous soon enough

RedHairedWitch: You mean everyone doesn't eat when they're bored??? o.o Are you serious?

Oh, man...just had one of those undiagnosed ADHD moments there. I thought everybody in the world did that. My family does, but most of them are waiting on their own evaluations now. :P Wait 'til I tell my sister!!
Old 03-10-09, 06:43 AM

kontemplation is on a distinguished road

i'm an inattentive male, and didn't realize this was an add thing, but i eat ANYTHING. at least anything that is lukewarm... however, i cannot tolerate hot foods. if it's steaming, it BURNS to me. i usually wait till my food is cold before eating it.. so i end up doing something else while the food is cooling.

regarding textures, i feel like i'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I LOVE TEXTURES. i gotta admit that i'll take texture over taste quite often...i mean, i'll take a bite of a cookie.. and then have a craving for some cottage cheese.. or rice. spaghetti is good chunky not saucy.. sashimi.. and anything crunchy is good...sweet, sour, spicy, bitter, greasy, milky, crunchy, dry, cold, slimy, textured combinations.. anything complex...is what i like. i like playing with the food in my mouth too (veggies usually). i wont eat crunchy bread tho cuz it tears my mouth up. sorry if this grosses some of you out..hehe

i tend to have hypersensitivity to saltiness along with temperature. i eat a LOT of meat and fish. i like most veggies and fruits except i have an aversion to iceburg lettuce. shudder.
Old 04-02-09, 02:01 AM
Jr Member

BarbP is on a distinguished road

Yup, count me in as another one who's hypersensitive to food textures!!! For me, the *worst* are mushrooms and uncooked tomato.... but many vegetables, and some meats, bug me as well. Two of my nieces have ADHD and strong food texture issues too.... the younger, age six, refuses to eat rice because she can't stand the way it feels in her mouth.
Old 04-03-09, 12:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

madelefant is on a distinguished road

I was telling doc a while ago about this. Medication helps reduce this. When I was a kid I was infamous because I could not eat lumpy pudding or lumpy mashed potatoes. I wouldn't let food types touch one another. I ate them (pretty much still do this even with meds) one at a time until completion. Could not eat a bite of one and then a bite of another. People in public always notice this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturg1dj View Post

For me

1) Food cannot touch
2) if multiple foods, I need to eat each part separate. Like Fries first, followed by burger
3) I cannot handle certain textures...these include most veggies and fruits...so you can imagine how healthy I am. I eat a burger it needs to be plain. I eat pizza it cannot have veggies. I like the taste of onions, but I cannot bite through a piece of onion on a pizza.

now I am off to really look over these forums and see what else I need to know!
The Following User Says Thank You to madelefant For This Useful Post:
LittleFrog (04-25-12)