ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-09, 12:19 AM

Scaaattered is on a distinguished road
Re: Food texture hypersensitivity

I'm new here and am amazed at the abundance of information and similiarities...I definetley have a texture issue, have since I can remember. Anything "mushy" and "slimy" like oatmeal, cream of wheat, lumpy gravy,oh yes a personal favorite...green jello with cottage cheese and pineapple, barf. It will not go down my throat, gag reflex wont let it. I also have a hard time with butter and mayo. I had no idea this could be an ADD issue.

Amy
Old 04-30-09, 12:56 PM

kello2005 will become famous soon enough

I eat my fruit before it's ripe...ripe banana's make me gag...but I love them when they're green.

I also really like stale food. Not bread! But chips, popcorn, and crackers...maybe it's because they are bland...dunno, just love stale stuff...haha!

I do prefer bland food that's really salted...basically, I love salt. But I can't eat too much of the same thing. When I go out for dinner, I never order something like pasta b/c I know it's just one thing. I need the dinner to have side dishes so I can sample different flavours. My dream meal is those appetizer platters..but they tend to be too expensive and too much food for just me! Sometimes I will stop eating before I'm full just b/c I'm bored of what I'm eating. But I can go and munch on something different no problem!

Does anyone else find that things like really pepperminty gum and mouth wash actually HURT you mouth?! For me...the stinging is so bad I have to spit it out and drink something quickly!! I find this with regular toothpaste too..but not to the same degree. However, those fruity flavoured toothpastes really gross me out. When I watch people swish mouthwash around their mouths I am in utter awe of them...how are they not in agony?!! One time I tried one of those breath strips that you put right on your tongue...oh my...I literally had to scrape it off b/c it hurt so much!!!
Old 05-05-09, 02:15 AM

SpirallingSnowy is on a distinguished road

Wow... so many things people say here are so true for me as well!!

Most things i dont like because of texture. Zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms... most vegetables of a similar texture i just cant eat, they make me gag. The only vegies i eat are willingly are carrots, beans, peas. Brocolli and cauliflower ill only eat if its covered in cheese sauce - but its not to do with the flavour of them. I hate raw tomato, even cooked tomato. only good tomato is purreed in pasta sauce - i dont even like tomato sauce. Corn on a cob botheres me, as does celery cos stuff gets stuck in my teeth. I dont mind cucumber but really would rather not eat it.

The only meat i really eat much of is chicken. When i was a littl kid mum used to make rissoles and i used to chew them and chew them - i couldnt swallow it. Regularly she used to make me spit it out before bed cos i couldnt swallow it. Also with lamb;beef i spend forever chewing it because i just cant swallow it. Dad works in the meat industry so there is always really good quality beef/lamb in our house and i will always choose chicken/fish over it anyway. I just cant deal with the texture.
Im ok with pasta sauce with mince in it and stuff, but much prefer creamier or smoother pasta sauces.
I dont deal with salad. I hate combining vegetables like that. All the sauces are gross as well.
Most condiments i cant deal wtih either the flavour, the texture or something else.

I like cheese and carbohydrates. And fruit juice. And yoghurt. and chicken/ham. I like apple sauce, gravy, mint jelly, bbq sauce, cheese sauce, garlic sauce. sweet chilli sauce. I love garlic flavoured stuff.

Apricot chicken i have issues with..... especially knowing mum puts french oinion soup in it... and yet its sweet??

As far as fruit goes, i can deal with some textures better than others.....I dont like eating apples but i like the flavours, i find eating apples requires lots of effort. I dont like eating oranges cos of the texture but i like the flavour. Grapes feel weird. My mum always used to cut mango up so that it was in strips - cant deal with the stringy bits off the seed of it though. I really like kiwi fruit and eating it with a spoon. Same with passionfruit. Watermelon i squish in my mouth before i try to swallow it - cant chew it.
I eat my bananas unripe as well prefer fruit to be under ripe than ripe or over ripe. I wont eat fruit if its even just a little over ripe of just at that bit more squishy stage.

Fruity toothpaste grosses me out, and mouthwashes hurt me too!! Im allergic to salicylates so i have Peroxide and Baking soda mint flavoured Colgate toothpaste.

I looooove dips and bikkies but i always need to have a drink with them.

Seafood i cant stand the smell or texture of most. i like squid in stuff, and processed prawns ( eg prawn toast) - cant eat any of it fresh.Other than squid and prawns i wont touch seafood, except packet crumbed fish as a better option to beef.... and even then its a matter of which is worse.

Apparently as a kid i used to eat oysters/pipi's ..... i can think of nothing worse!!! Slimy or kinda squishy food like that and tofu makes me want to throw up!!!

I also get carsick if i dont have mind flavoured suff to chew/ suck on in car trips.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 09:09 PM

420crew is on a distinguished road

I am new here I am 34 and I have battled with texture problems forever. I am unhealthy I had a physical today and I failed it at 350 pounds. I am tired all the time. I cant eat chicken or steak, pretty much the only meat i will eat is burger beef or venison. I cant eat vegetables or most fruits because of the way the feel in my mouth. I love pasta with red sauce and pizza.

I have a 1.5 year old son and I have a hard time keeping up with him. I have never been diagnosed with ADD.

After reading this whole forum I am wondering if anyone is having any luck with treatments I need help and do not know where to begin. Please let me know what worked for you.

I do not like to be medicated.

Thanks
Old 08-20-09, 05:13 PM

420crew is on a distinguished road

bump
bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420crew View Post
I am new here I am 34 and I have battled with texture problems forever. I am unhealthy I had a physical today and I failed it at 350 pounds. I am tired all the time. I cant eat chicken or steak, pretty much the only meat i will eat is burger beef or venison. I cant eat vegetables or most fruits because of the way the feel in my mouth. I love pasta with red sauce and pizza.

I have a 1.5 year old son and I have a hard time keeping up with him. I have never been diagnosed with ADD.

After reading this whole forum I am wondering if anyone is having any luck with treatments I need help and do not know where to begin. Please let me know what worked for you.

I do not like to be medicated.

Thanks
Old 07-01-11, 10:16 PM
Jr Member

cantfocuspocus is on a distinguished road

Anyone else have issues with raw coconut? or Cracked wheat? I love the flavor of coconut and I can tolerate it when it's toasted (although when i first tried it i was very apprehensive), cracked wheat is horrendous! (to me anyway). It's a texture issue for both and they both have very different textures
Old 07-04-11, 08:37 PM

cf481516 is on a distinguished road

It's so hard to believe that I found people that have the same issues that I have. I always assumed it was just something wrong with only me and that I was just a picky eater but it turns out it has to do with sensitivity. Also, I'm not the only young adult with these issues

I basically have a problem with eating foods because of their textures. For instance, I cannot eat most tomato sauce because it's full of tomato chunks. I can only eat it when it is completely smooth and free of chunks. I have a problem with most fruits and vegetables. With fruit, most of it tastes good but I just cannot deal with the texture and how it feels in my mouth. For example, I love how strawberries taste but eating them is torture. I can eat apples, but if they turn brown or slightly mushy I can't deal with it.

I feel like I have been this way all of my life..Dinners are the worst. If my mom makes a new food, or something I can't deal with, I feel like I could just melt down crying. Even if I try the food, often times I feel sick and gag. On occasion I have thrown up..it's terrible and I hate it.

I also can't stand mint and cinnamon, especially in gum and mouthwash. I feel like my mouth is on fire. Is this related to the food texture sensitivity?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-11, 06:07 PM

vickisue is on a distinguished road

I am thrilled to meet you all! my son who is now 11 has a very limited diet!!! this is very hard on him and me as well.i don"t know what to do to help him??? he panics sometimes if he puts a certain food in his mouth and spits it out . any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Old 11-13-11, 12:57 PM

BlackTheatre is on a distinguished road

I have something similar. Well, I couldn't tolerate near anything as a kid and growing up. Eventually, I started liking new foods and now eat a variety of things. I still have major problems with foods if they either don't smell right or the texture is off.

The texture problem isn't as big as it used to me, but if I'm eating a bowl of soup and there's a bone in it or something, I'll just bolt and vomit. It's an automatic gag reflex. I have the same problem with stuffing sometimes because of the veggies with the other textures. Also eggs or other foods with spinach, and mostly shrimp that aren't entirely stripped of the skin. If I'm chewing on a piece of shrimp and find even a bit of skin still on it in my mouth, my gag reflex goes off.

I had no idea this was a common problem with ADD. Huh... Well, I learn something new about it every day I guess.
Old 01-09-12, 07:45 AM

jeremywatts2005 is on a distinguished road

I did not know how many people were like me. But I am finding that I am not alone. Been very selective on eating for as long as I can remember. I do not like my food touching, all meat has to be very well done, won't eat dark meat chicken or turkey (slimy tasting), no fruits or veggies and of course I like spicy and eat tons of salt and pepper.

All my food pretty much has to be salt and peppered. So much so that I put a pile of salt and blend pepper into it and then dip the food into it. My wife thought I was crazy until my daughter. She is the same way. Has been since she started eating. My wife gets annoyed with her but I understand this is the way she is. Tried to get her to venture out on the food spectrum and she is not quite as picky as I am but still really more picky than the norm. Food also cannot touch for her, she goes crazy and wants the food not touching.

I will say my that my tendencies have made me better at my job. My selective nature and my highly precise nature make me a great dean of for profit college. I am really good at auditing, managing people and I am highly precise on paperwork. I find that the tendencies I have in eating manifest in other areas of life outside of food.
Old 01-09-12, 02:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

known_guy has a spectacular aura aboutknown_guy has a spectacular aura about

I have intense hypersensitivity when it comes to taste, eating foods.

I cannot tolerate spicy foods. Hot foods - I have to wait for it to cool. Minty foods. I have specific texture sensitivity (too many to list, too difficult to explain).
I adhere to eating foods in/by a set order/methodology. Foods cannot touch one another. And so on, and so forth.

--------------------------------------------------
| Diagnoses : MDD | ADHD | ASD | BD-NOS | BPD |
--------------------------------------------------
Medications:
Zoloft 150mg | Dexedrine SR 30mg | Lamictal 100mg
Miscellaneous:
Cymbalta 30mg BID | Ritalin SR 40mg | Remeron 15mg

Last edited by known_guy; 01-09-12 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Spacing for anal-retentive reasons.
Old 04-24-12, 10:06 AM
Jr Member

E_Mac09 is on a distinguished road

I can't stand the texture of onions. If I am eating something that I have loved for years and I discover a stray onion made its way to my dish, that food is on my disgusting list for months afterwards.
Old 04-25-12, 07:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,816 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, I'm mostly ok with food texture except for soft/squishy fruits and vegetables...BRRRRRR
Old 04-25-12, 08:25 PM

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not crazy about messy foods. I will eat them if they taste good enough (corn on the cob, for instance, or tacos) but I have to have a napkin at all times to clean my face and hands. I hate those Hardee's commercials where they try to spin the messiness and sloppiness of their burgers as somehow being a SELLING point (WTHeck??) and dislike that their burgers are all slathered with sauces that get all over you.
Old 04-25-12, 08:40 PM

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywatts2005 View Post
I won't eat dark meat chicken or turkey (slimy tasting)
Me either - too greasy and gamey-tasting. Yuk.

Quote:
no fruits or veggies
I am picky about which veggies I like but the ones I do like I do like. I like fruit as long as it's fresh.

Quote:
All my food pretty much has to be salt and peppered. So much so that I put a pile of salt and blend pepper into it and then dip the food into it.
Yep. I do this because if I didn't I'd have to constantly be re-salting the surface of the foods as I ate the salted part. Having salt sprinkled on the plate to dip food in makes this unnecessary (I'm not as into pepper as I am salt, though I don't dislike it.)

I guess in a way it might seem like there are a lot of foods I don't like, but I don't consider myself a fussy eater and find truly fussy eaters annoying, particularly if they say they don't like foods they've never tasted. I also roll my eyes at people who won't eat any spicy foods, especially if they are men. Men who won't eat spicy seem like sissies to me, LOL. That's just my visceral reaction, I can't help it.

Quote:
I will say my that my tendencies have made me better at my job.
I'd say the same for myself although in my case the tendencies in question manifest more in other areas than in my eating. I am picky about doing laundry, for instance, and want all stains out, and all typos corrected when I write or post online.

Although - maybe I should scratch that. It might have more to do with food than I've indicated, in that in my last job as a parts inspector at a metal manufacturing plant, my high personal work standards probably carried over from the jobs I'd had previously which involved inspecting FOODS. I'd be very fussy about what I let pass because I imagined having to eat what I was inspecting. When I moved on to the next job which was similar except that it did not involve inspecting foods, that tendency was already too deeply ingrained to allow me to be slipshod in my inspection of the metal parts. Even though I knew nobody was going to eat the parts, I still couldn't feel comfortable if I saw a visible defect, functional OR cosmetic, and I let it go by.

I find that the tendencies I have in eating manifest in other areas of life outside of food.[/quote]