ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-14, 12:42 AM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about
Re: Food texture hypersensitivity

For me, overweight is the issue. When I was a tiny picky child, my mom was afraid I'd starve. Really! First-time parent jitters. So when I discovered snack foods she let me have them. She was Type I diabetic and I'm at risk for Type II. I love carbs - and a carb in my book is not a vegetable (okay scientifically maybe it is, but don't anyone try to foist it off on me as a "tasty alternative" to REAL, comfort-food, starchy carbs, such as pasta ).

Also I probably gravitate toward the serotonin in those starchy carbs due to my co-existing anxiety. Plus they're bland (the "beige diet," LOL) and non-threatening, filling, satisfying. There are some vegetables I can eat especially raw ones, but I tend not to be in the habit of actually buying them and eating them. If I buy them they sit in the refrigerator reproaching me until they rot and I throw them out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhLookABunny For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (12-08-16), Corina86 (09-22-14)
Old 01-08-15, 01:01 PM

Nekroschizofren is on a distinguished road

Oh, I hate onions in pierogi/dumplings. When I feel onion crunching between my teeth, I refuse to eat the rest of my dinner. I also hate parsley (the green part), dill and other tiny green things floating in the soup. I began perceiving meat as disgusting at the age of 5 and since them I've been a vegetarian. And I hate it when i eat something and the taste/smell of it persists for a long time in my mouth, so I don't eat scrambled eggs, omelettes, etc. Generally I view new dishes with suspicion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nekroschizofren For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (02-21-15)
Old 02-21-15, 10:04 PM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekroschizofren View Post
Oh, I hate onions in pierogi/dumplings. When I feel onion crunching between my teeth, I refuse to eat the rest of my dinner. I also hate parsley (the green part), dill and other tiny green things floating in the soup. I began perceiving meat as disgusting at the age of 5 and since them I've been a vegetarian. And I hate it when i eat something and the taste/smell of it persists for a long time in my mouth, so I don't eat scrambled eggs, omelettes, etc. Generally I view new dishes with suspicion.
ME TOO!! A reasonable (not strong) onion flavor is okay with me in some foods; I use onion powder. But that crunch, and the flaky skin layers that get caught on tongue or cheeks - ack!

I'm getting to desire meat less and less the older I get and can go only eating it maybe 3x a week. Which is good, since I'm on a tight budget! I have vegetable issues, though. Can eat some of them but when I try to go vegetarian end up falling back on dairy and grains. Well, that's sort of my default anyway.

Question - do you find bell peppers disgusting also? And pickled, vinegary foods? I do.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-15, 04:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,506 Times in 13,316 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhLookABunny View Post
[b]

Question - do you find bell peppers disgusting also? And pickled, vinegary foods? I do.
UGH, bell peppers!!! why??? they are only ok if very finely chopped and completely cooked through, and even then, ugh!

pickles are ok but not in quantities.
Everything in France is vinaigrette dressing, yikes...
Old 02-22-15, 08:03 AM

Thanked 22,399 Times in 12,061 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Can't stand onion skin or pepper skins in food. Hate it.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
stef (02-22-15)
Old 12-02-15, 10:58 PM

Xiang-Xiu is on a distinguished road

What I have read in this thread so far, is what I have been living with for 60 odd years, basically from when my mother changed my food from smoothly mashed baby food to the regular, textured chunky foods, that people eat from about 10 months old.

Out of all the vegetables that are available, I can only put about 5 or 6 of them in my mouth, without me feeling like vomiting. A sandwich that goes crunch, is unedible, because sandwiches are supposed to be soft, with nothing included that is crunchy, if there was anything crunchy in my sadwiches; while I was still attending school, every last minute scrap of the offending food, had to be removed before I could eat it. I would not eat (food), or wear (apparel) anything that was any shade of green (my last name was Green, so therefore unedible).

There are also some fabrics, and other fibres, that give me the same sensation if I touch them, my stomach instantly changes into pre-vomit mode. A woman I used to work with, became very upset with me, when I returned a blouse made with pure silk. She kept telling me that the shirt was beautiful and very expensive; so I hab to explain that sensation I felt when touching the item, did not differentiate between expensive, cheap, well made or just thrown together. She was very bemused by what I had told her, because she had not heard about this condition before, so she thought I was lying about it.

Until I was about 10, my mum would force feed the vegetables that I couldnt tolerate. It was pure torcher to me, and if there were any of those egetables on my plate, I would rather have gone to bed with no food, than have mu force the offending food down my throat. It wasn't a picnic for my siblings either. I think some of them used to eat the entire meal, just so mum would not repeat my treatment, onto them. I don't blame them, I really hated meal times. Then one morning mum asked me if I didn't like cabbage, and I asked her why - her answer was that I had been yelling out in my sleep, that I hated cabbage - and so my meal time torches stopped, on that day, thank goodness.

When I reached the age where I wanted to live in my on house, I continueD to try and make myself eat the torches foods, until I finally gave myself permission to not eat, or buy, them any more. I feel so much more relaxed since I did that, and I have stopped explaining to others, the reason I don't eat, or cook, certain foods. I am also on the high end of the Autism Spectrum, but I have not been formerly tested, a D am not going to be tested.

Regards Xiang-Xiu
Old 12-03-15, 07:58 AM

Xiang-Xiu is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have been reading the posts on here, and aM extremely surprised at the number of people who suffer similar food sensitivities that I suffer. I was the bane of my mother's life, because none of my siblings had the same problems with food, that I had. She thought that I was just being stubborn, because when I was a child, there was no knowledge of problems with textures of foods, or other substances. A lot of conditions that are now recognised, had not been identified yet. This meant that I, and others like me in that era, suffered through being force fed some foods, until the parents learnt, and understood, that the child had no control over which food, or texture, was going to be intolerable. There was also the ongoing punishment by teachers, because children like me, were seen as trouble makers, or just too lazy to do their school work, but in reality, the work we were expected to complete, was often so easy to complete, and boring, that the child concerned would either finish the work very quickly, or would refuse to do it, because there was no challenge to the task.

Once professionals, and parents, began understanding this phenomenon, life for the affected children began to get more pleasant; because strategies, and different teaching methods were developed and put in place, so that these children now had the chance to learn, and reach the same level of education, as children who had none of the problems.

Autism, food and fibre intolerance and sensitivities, and many other similar conditions were unknown until I was a young adult with children of my own, and that was when I began wondering if I could possibly have any of the newly named conditions. I have not been tested officially, and I am not going to be, but I have completed many of the online questionaires, and always get a high position on the Autism/Aspergers Spectrum.

I am sorry about blathering on, I really didn't mean to write so much, but I was just so amazed that so many people are going through the same things that I am. I honestly thought that there would only be a tiny minority of people with these things, that affect us, and our lives, so much.

Just one question that I would like to have an answer to, is:-
How many of you have difficulty with making friends, beginning conversations, or joining an already existing group of people?

I have always had trouble with each of those things, to the point that I stopped trying to workout how to do any of them, and became a "people watcher". I began watching the other students at school, trying to workout how people made friends, and why a particular child was a member of a group one day, and the next day was being excluded by the group, and another child was accepted into the group, in the first child's place - this was always happening in groups of girls. It was very interesting watching what happened on any given day, and seeing how the members of the groups changed on a daily basis. The entire time that I was watching these things happening, I never felt alone, because I never actually felt the need to be with any of the other children.

Anyway, I hope what I have written is not too confusing, and I hope it makes interesting reading, I am not well known for writing posts of this length, so I shall now say farewell, and that I am so glad that I found this thread. Thank you for the chance of finally being able to write about my experiences of food and fibre sensitivities, I really didn't know I had so much to share!

Cheers
Xiang-Xiu
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xiang-Xiu For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (12-03-15), OhLookABunny (12-14-16), stef (12-05-16)
Old 12-03-15, 09:47 AM

Thanked 22,399 Times in 12,061 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

No, Xaing, very interesting actually!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 02-28-16, 11:24 PM

mr_mercutio is on a distinguished road

Much the same story here. At some point as a kid I started having huge troubles with food. Never occurred to me for ages that it was texture that killed me, but it definitely was. I loved bread, hated pizza. Couldn't do most fruits and veggies. Almost all the same types of problems everyone else here has talked about.

I recently was diagnosed with adult ADHD, but it NEVER occurred to me that my food problems might be related. I'm sitting here crying because I've felt so alone with this and now I see SO MANY of you like me. And maybe, now that I'm diagnosed and am getting help, I can deal with this and overcome it?

Thank you all. Stumbling across this in an idle Googling was one of the best things to happen to me in awhile.
The Following User Says Thank You to mr_mercutio For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (12-14-16)
Old 03-06-16, 02:05 PM

hiya22 is on a distinguished road

Hey all, I'm new & had no idea other people felt this way about food texture too! Or that it had anything to do w ADD/ADHD.

For me, it's texture of mostly seafood. I LOVE seafood & it is my favorite type of food, but for whatever reason i cannot eat crab, scallops, or lobster. Oysters, no problem. Shrimp, any fish, clams, all of that is cool, but the texture of those three things is so vile to me. And there's so much of it. Ugh. Idk how anyone eats it

Also, since I was little (2 ish) I can't eat white frothy things lol. Whipped cream, tapioca, cream of wheat, vanilla pudding, sour cream, hollandaise sauce. Ickk

Does everyone with ADD have this too? What is it about textures that sends a message to the brain to not be into it?

So crazy! Thanks for posting
The Following User Says Thank You to hiya22 For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (12-14-16)
Old 04-23-16, 10:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice

I have a big thing with lettuce. Can't do lettuce on a hot sandwich forsure, really don't eat salad to begin I with.

I love French onion soup, but not raw onion.

Tomato, same as everyone on here, like the sauce not the chunks of tomato.

A lot of veggies in general I don't touch, especially raw!

Plus I put salt on everything
If your important people will wait for u!
The Following User Says Thank You to casper For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (12-14-16)
Old 05-20-16, 05:46 AM

newkiwi is on a distinguished road

This really amazes me to read about and could explain so much. My parents complained endlessly that I was the pickiest child. It was an issue then whenever we went out to eat and it remains something of an issue as an adult when I go to dinner at other's houses. I have gotten much better with age but I'm still much pickier than the average person.

As those above have said the main issue for me is texture. I can't stand cooked carrots or broccoli, but I have no problem with them raw. I used to hate cereal with any milk on it lest it get even slightly soggy. I couldn't help but gag whenever I had food with a texture I rejected. I wasn't trying to be difficult, I just couldn't help it. It's good to hear others have had the same kind of issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to newkiwi For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (12-14-16)
Old 07-27-16, 10:29 AM

Pandaleeluv is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Food texture hypersensitivity

I am only 15 ans with how I am reading posts I am going to be like this for quite some time. I am a lot like you guys I could eat anything as a kid, but some thing clicked and goodbye fruits and veggies. People don't understand me and with the upcoming vegans and vegetarians It makes me feel awful that I can't eat vegan. But Tofu and all those veggies and fruits are intolerable and either make me throw up or gag. I have even come to now realise I am having troubles eating really thick cake and frosting. I cannot eat cheese cake or anything with really thick frosting. I can eat meat no problem though and pasta! And the only fruits and veggies I can eat are Potato, Green Beans, Pickles, and Apples.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pandaleeluv For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (12-14-16)
Old 12-05-16, 03:41 AM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Thankful to Be Unfolding Backwards...

I thought this thread was going to be more like my own experience, but I have to be glad my food issues are all in the past.

I was the original paleo kid...I loved any kind of meat or seafood, including liver and sardines(!), but hated most other foods--milk, applejuice--especially anything with seeds or lumps, such as oatmeal, strawberries, chocolate pudding, spaghetti, and butter brickle ice cream (or any ice cream with things in it).

We were not allowed to refuse to eat anything, so mealtimes were stressful. It was a great relief to move away from home and (very) slowly discover that things like broccoli and onions were not so bad after all.

I really don't know how it happened that I not only came to like virtually everything, but when travelling will order anything on a menu I've never heard of without asking about it. Most of the time this works out great, but once in Rome it was a small whole poached octopus salad for lunch. The octopus filled the whole plate. A little shocking to look at, but luckily I still like seafood, and it was delicious!

And, of course now I'm always surprised to meet people who were not made to eat things at gunpoint who also ended up liking everything. In some twisted way I had been giving my parents credit for "exposing" me to all these foods and making me "adventurous." So however it happened, I can see it is certainly a blessing to be able to eat anything. Reading about other people's struggles does help me understand what some of you are going through.
Old 12-07-16, 04:48 AM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

Thanks crazy girl same to you your not alone! Ither 😎