ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-09-17, 10:30 PM

Minkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura aboutMinkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Diagnosed with ADHD- Do I have to tell an employer ? Are there any advantages at

If they require a drug test it would probably be in your best interest to let the testing facility know so it can be verified by your doctor when you show up positive for amphetamines. If no drug test is required then you're not required to tell them that you're being treated for ADHD.
Old 09-09-17, 04:13 PM
Jr Member

unwitting is on a distinguished road
Re: Diagnosed with ADHD- Do I have to tell an employer ? Are there any advantages at

What if it's a general medical exam before being hired? I am about to get a new job which will require me to take a medical exam to ensure I am in good health, etc. Will they ask me what medications I am taking, and do I have to disclose my ADHD when I meet with the doctor?
Old 09-10-17, 06:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

thorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to all

Well, I told my employers and it was clearly worth it. Of course we do a lot of work with children with adhd so it would have been odd if my employers had not made any concessions

I do notice a tolerance towards my erratic punctuality, my sporadic mistakes when it comes to paperwork and my sensitivity to criticism. On the whole I am good at what I do and I have a unique insight into the problems faced by many of our customers. So it's a mutually beneficial arrangement.

I don't think I would recommend disclosing the condition unless you can be 100% certain that it won't come back to hurt you.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-17, 06:59 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
DO NOT DISCLOSE that you have adhd. It may seem like a good idea, in theory you are supposed to get accommodations but its so easy for them to pick a different reason to fire you, deny promotions or discriminate. ADHD is supposed to be covered under the ADA but im not sure.
I wouldnt do it, and i haven't told my employers i have ADHD and its been working out fairly good.
Old 09-27-17, 03:10 PM
Contributor

Arei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to all

I don't have to tell people, it's obvious lol

Since I'm pretty stable now and won't really need to have a need to do in the future (but if I do, then I will) but I let work know about the bipolar. They thought I was lazy/didn't care/unreliable but they got to see me finally get proper help and the difference is night and day. I don't want accommodations, just some understanding.

Old 02-08-19, 04:59 AM

soulsearcher is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am still waiting to be diagnosed but you have a very good point I am 40 and from my past employment experience it can go against you if you don't tell them and if something happens.

but in a real world the workplace you can be judged and bullied but I suppose if they know then they have to do something.

if not they can be sued it depends a lot on what Job you do and if you can do the job without problems

but only you can decide
Old 02-08-19, 01:19 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,110 Times in 15,358 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I would want my work and integrity to be evaluated by how good of a job I do, not whether Im successful despite my adhd or because of it. I would never disclose it.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-01-19, 09:36 AM

ADD_NL72 is on a distinguished road

Disclosed it twice, regretted it both times.
Employer 1: did not get a contract renewal. My manager knew what ADD is, understood the chemistry (not) happening in my brain. Nothing but understanding. First performance review thereafter: "you're not focusing enough". Did not get a contract renewal even though every customer I served was very happy with my work.
Employer 2: does not have the slightest idea what ADD means. Now I feel marked. It's a temporary job, so no real harm done in the long run I presume.

I still feel like I should tell my colleagues, explain why they have to tell me remind me about tasks I should doe. Why I often don't finish tasks when something else comes my way. Why I completely forgot something you told me half an hour ago. ADD has a severe impact on my performance sometimes. And if they know why they can help me manage. Do not just tell me to do something, send me an email as well. Having things in writing helps. Do multi-step tasks together so I won't get distracted so easily. The advantages seem clear, but I have to admit telling has never helped.

I did tell my contact at the recruitment agency though. Getting bad reviews or comments reflects poorly upon them and they should know why. I was very nervous... and she told me she has ADD as well. In this case, it really helped. But the odds to that are very slim.