ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-17-19, 08:16 PM

bg861t is on a distinguished road
Should I stop adderall?

I have been prescribed adderall for 10 years. I started getting it from friends and was amazed at how productive I became. I was convinced that if I could feel this good, I probably have Adhd. I got testing done but definitely took it in a sleepy state (in hopes of getting diagnosed so I could get and adderall prescription). The results came back that I did have adhd and that was the official beginning of my adderall journey. Early on when I bought some from friends, I remember running out and having 3 days of withdrawals, and after day 3 I felt like myself again and it was somewhat a relief. That was within the first month of taking it.

After 10 years of daily use (30-50mg on average) I am completely addicted. I think that it helps me function but I have a suspicion that taking addrall has started to have a negative impact on my career, marraige, and overall personality.

Would it be worth quitting, and will I ever be able to get back to my old creative self? Has anyone had any good experiences quitting after taking it for an extended period of time? I can only find negative stories, so I am wondering if it is even worth the effort.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to bg861t For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-18-19)
Old 01-18-19, 12:52 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,095 Times in 7,986 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I stop adderall?

That's really tough.

Personally I don't think you should just quit cold turkey after having taken it for so long.

Are you abusing it? By that I mean, do you attempt to get a high from it? Or do you stick pretty close to what you've been prescribed?

I think that you telling yourself that you're addicted might be a bit too harsh here. My pill lady thinks there's a very clear difference between addictions and dependency when it comes to medications. I don't want to put words into her mouth...I'm not exactly sure how she understands it...but I think she believes something like addictions to medications happen when people miss use or abuse the meds...while dependency is natural thing that occurs when your body needs the medications in order to function more properly.

Sorry to get so caught up on the word addiction. I just don't want you to be hard on yourself if it's not earned. I think the word addiction carries alot of stigma and negative thoughts and beliefs.

I've only been on adderall for a few years now...and I too feel like I've become dependat on them. Life is just much harder and I feel stuck in the mud when I don't take them.

To get back to your question though...
How safe and comfortable do you feel with the person who prescribes adderall for you? Ideally I think your best bet is to be honest with them and to see what they suggest.
Maybe you just need an adjustment to your dose? Or maybe they might have suggestions on perhaps trying to add another medication to help...or maybe they might try a different medication for your ADHD.

But dang...I know it can be difficult to bring this stuff up to our doctors. Especially if we don't feel real comfortable or safe with them.

I don't like the idea of you abruptly quitting though. I don't know how this stuff works...but it seems like it could be dangerous to just go cold turkey on this stuff. Maybe not physically...but to stop it suddenly might throw your body off since it's become dependent to it or something. Who knows what kind of havoc that could cause with your emotions and your ADHD symptoms (motivation, and your ability to concentrate and stick wth things...etc. etc).
But again...I don't know how this stuff works.

I think your best bet is to have a talk with your doctor about this.

I really hope someone with some experience or knowledge on this stuff can post here for you too.

I'm wishing you the best!

(((Hug)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 01-18-19, 06:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I stop adderall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg861t View Post
I have been prescribed adderall for 10 years. I started getting it from friends and was amazed at how productive I became. I was convinced that if I could feel this good, I probably have Adhd.
Just because adderall makes you feel good doesnt mean you have adhd. Adderall is abused by many people because of how good it feels. Someone'e reaction to adderall is not indicative of whether or not they have adhd.
Quote:
I got testing done but definitely took it in a sleepy state (in hopes of getting diagnosed so I could get and adderall prescription).
Do you mean you purposely took it when you were already "impaired" so that you would be able to skew the results toward adhd?

Quote:
The results came back that I did have adhd and that was the official beginning of my adderall journey.
Are you truly interested if you have adhd? Or would you rather just to keep taking the adderall whether or not you have a disorder?

Quote:
Early on when I bought some from friends, I remember running out and having 3 days of withdrawals, and after day 3 I felt like myself again and it was somewhat a relief. That was within the first month of taking it.
Of course you know that this was a bad way of getting the adderall but did you abuse it or just take it like it was a prescription? Were you dependent on it or addicted to it? What kind of withdrawal symptoms are you talking about?

Quote:
After 10 years of daily use (30-50mg on average) I am completely addicted. I think that it helps me function but I have a suspicion that taking addrall has started to have a negative impact on my career, marraige, and overall personality.
What makes you say this? Again, I wonder if you mean addicted or dependent. There is a difference IMO?
Quote:
Would it be worth quitting, and will I ever be able to get back to my old creative self? Has anyone had any good experiences quitting after taking it for an extended period of time? I can only find negative stories, so I am wondering if it is even worth the effort.
Do you feel that you are not good, or creative when taking the adderall? Why did you continue in the first place if you did not like the results? If you like who you are when medicated then what is wrong with being dependent on medication? I am very dependent on my BPII meds. I am not addicted to them.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-19-19)
Sponsored Links