ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 02-17-19, 05:51 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light
Question Being a 'shut in' and managing to end ones self imposed isolation.

Nothing wrong with solitude but I'm curious to know if anyone here has been a shut in at one point and has ever managed to break out of the solitary confinement and into stable/healthy friendships/relationships?

For about the decade or so being a shut in I've tried to socialize/interact on and off with people, not sure if it's because of social media nowadays and people just don't know how to have normal interactions anymore but it's so awkward, I cannot relate with people let alone find anything interesting to talk about if I try to get on their level, pretty much since quitting alcohol years ago trying to socialize now is just quite the awful experience, I don't even want to think about dating again and how much of a ****show that would be!

Anyone here ever managed to get past this point?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-16-19)
Old 02-17-19, 11:52 PM
Contributor

mrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the rough
Re: Being a 'shut in' and managing to end ones self imposed isolation.

Go to meetup .com and join a breakfast club, book club, bridge club or
whatever interests you. Check out your local community center and see if
they have pick up team nights for sports like pickleball, volleyball or
basketball. Join a community theatre. Act in a role, be in the chorus or help
build sets. These are things you can do just to be around people. You can be
friendly without the need to exhaust yourself trying to become good friends with people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrzyphl For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-06-19), userguide (02-28-19)
Old 02-18-19, 05:43 PM

LeighWolf is on a distinguished road

Do you mean an actual shut in? You didn't leave your house or only left to get necessities? Do you have an anxiety disorder or just feel totally awkward and disconnected? Do you even want relationships? Or think maybe you do but not sure how your end of the bargain might look? Is there anything you feel has to either change or just be accepted "as is" that is really hard to let people even see?

Don't think you have to answer all my questions, but you can if you feel it might lead you somewhere good!

Feel ok on the forum?
The Following User Says Thank You to LeighWolf For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-06-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-19, 06:58 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighWolf View Post
Do you mean an actual shut in? You didn't leave your house or only left to get necessities? Do you have an anxiety disorder or just feel totally awkward and disconnected? Do you even want relationships? Or think maybe you do but not sure how your end of the bargain might look? Is there anything you feel has to either change or just be accepted "as is" that is really hard to let people even see?

Don't think you have to answer all my questions, but you can if you feel it might lead you somewhere good!

Feel ok on the forum?
You're reading a bit too much into what I wrote, I'm just asking if anyone here who has spent years as a shut in ever managed to break out of that and ended up socializing and dating, etc after not doing those things for a very long time. Thats all.
Old 02-18-19, 07:05 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighWolf View Post

Feel ok on the forum?
Sometimes I don't and won't go into details for I don't want to start a huge ****storm on this forum. Lets just leave it at that.
Old 02-18-19, 10:06 PM

soulsearcher is on a distinguished road

Hello I am currently undiagnosed and waiting for a psychiatrist appointment

I actually lived in my bedroom for years, mainly when i first left school I have problems communicating it did improve when i eventually got a job, but it was up and down it's not easy to get out some times I would not even go downstairs.

I am in a relationship but it's been difficult for me I can't communicate with my partner still and i am very hyper i am 40 years old.

as humans we can create our own world as its difficult to face the real world i remember changing my bedroom furniture around every week its not a nice place to be

working was the best thing for me but keeping a job is not easy

hope it helps you are not alone in this
The Following User Says Thank You to soulsearcher For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-06-19)
Old 02-19-19, 05:14 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd_ View Post
You're reading a bit too much into what I wrote, I'm just asking if anyone here who has spent years as a shut in ever managed to break out of that and ended up socializing and dating, etc after not doing those things for a very long time. Thats all.
Quote:
shut-inDictionary result for shut-in
/ˈSHəd ˌin/Submit
noun
NORTH AMERICAN
a person confined indoors, especially as a result of physical or mental disability.
"she volunteered to visit the sick and the shut-ins"
a state or period in which an oil or gas well has available but unused capacity.
You cant blame her for asking.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
LeighWolf (03-04-19)
Old 03-06-19, 11:00 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
You cant blame her for asking.
Old 03-06-19, 11:14 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,389 Times in 10,789 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Lloyd, it's a legitimate question.

There's a difference between being a homebody without a fulfilling social life, on the one hand, and being agoraphobic, or trapped by your hoarding problem, or with limited mobility due to disability/size/etc. to the point that you are truly "shut in" for weeks, months, or years at a time... These require different approaches.

Is it the case that you have not been able to leave your house for an extended period?

If not, what is the actual problem you're experiencing? Is the issue that you have no friends (and perhaps no job) and therefore no compelling reason to leave the house and get out and socialize? Is it that you're out of practice spending time with people (to the extent you were ever "in practice")?

You mentioned difficulties socializing since you quit alcohol...could you say more about that? Do you need ideas for places to meet people that aren't alcohol-centric? Or do you just feel more awkward socializing when you're not inebriated?

Perhaps you could clarify what your situation is so that we could try to offer constructive suggestions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-06-19), sarahsweets (03-07-19)
Old 03-06-19, 11:50 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,389 Times in 10,789 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so I just noticed "self imposed" in the thread title...

I don't want to make assumptions, because sometimes people blame themselves for all kinds of things. But I'm going to assume that you're not agoraphobic or confined to the house by mobility limitations or clutter.

So...what has stopped you from getting out more during this period of time? Was it lack of interest, or fear of rejection, or...?

And what kinds of interactions are you looking for in the near-term?

Do you live somewhere with neighbors nearby and whose names you know?

Do I ask too many questions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-06-19), sarahsweets (03-07-19)
Old 03-16-19, 04:37 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Might Be Some Good Ideas on a Previous Thread

Depending on your situation, you might be interested in some of the responses to Peri's similar thread from a couple of years ago on "Resurrecting Friendships after Self-Isolating:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185906
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-16-19)
Old 03-21-19, 05:56 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,749 Times in 14,043 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

This is a quick mod note from your local, friendly moderators to remind everyone to respect other members and not to fight with each other. Thanks for all future cooperation.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 07-06-19, 10:38 AM

sk1n1m1n is on a distinguished road

If being a shut in works for you and you have hobbies and things to do why not go for it, if it doesn't the look into other alternatives.

For me giving up the boring *** groups was one the best things I have done for own personal wellbeing, I was so bored listening to 10 people talk about the weather and mundane rubbish, so I gave them and honestly, it was the best thing I did. It got easier I became more productive at home. I was like this going out every day to these things didn't suit my solitary tendencies and wanting my own company or issues of not wanting to leave my property. if I don't want to something because of depression I don't want to. end off. I don't fight my natural mind. So I did and it was like an escape, a release from human contact back to safe place.