ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-19, 09:02 PM

livinglife is on a distinguished road
Any advice would be great!

Hi guys! I am a 31 year old and I was diagnosed with ADD in nursing school. I had always thought ADHD was a hyperactive disorder and you couldn't have it if you are quiet and shy, well extremely quiet and shy. Probably why I flew under the radar for so long plus I came from a small town. We were going over Psych diagnoses in nursing school and my wonderful Psych professor who was also my advisor was going over ADHD and I was like she just described me minus the hyperactivity. It took me a bit to get the courage up to talk to her about it, but when I finally did she told me to talk to my Doctor because she agreed. My question is in the last paragraph if you want to skip the next two. I just wanted to explain whats been going on.

I finally talk to my Primary about it and she totally brushed me off about it and wouldn't listen. She left the practice and I got a new Primary and after some visits I finally talk to her about it. She listened and agreed. She gave me Adderall IR 15 mg twice a day for a month. I didn't notice a difference so she switched me to Adderall ER 30 mg. Yea I know, if the 15mg twice a day didn't work why would 30mg ER work, no clue. When I went back to her she made it seem like it was all in my head or maybe something else was going on because as she put it we all have to read a paragraph in a textbook twice. I could read the paragraph a million times and still not get it though. I still got easily distracted, my mind wondered off when people were talking and I should have just made a long list for her. It's more than the reading.

Anyway, she wanted to send me to a psychiatrist. I am so nervous about calling for appointments and meeting new doctors it took me a while to make it. I finally did and went. Got the ADD diagnosis again. She started me out on Ritalin. Nothing worked until i was at 30 mg twice a day but I only thought it helped for 3 hours for each. She switched to Adderall ER and we got up to 60 mg and I finally noticed a change. I actually sat in a class for and paid attention and remember what they talked about. It was the best feeling ever! I only thought it hlep for 6 hours so she added an Adderall IR dose. The only thing was I started getting dry mouth really bad and griding my teeth. I didn't like that. She decided to try straterra. I have chronic migraines and with this new medication I was down to 3-4 a month. I had a headache every day for three weeks and 5 migraines after starting straterra so we stopped that. It took me a bit to connect everything and realize it was the straterra. I am back to trying just the Adderall IR 30 mg twice a day. Still have the dry mouth which was bad today but haven't noticed myself grinding my teeth. I am thinking of asking to try Vyvanse. She wanted to start me on it in the beginning but my insurance wouldn't cover it yet until I did the steps.

I'm so sorry for the long message. Am I the only one who's taking a while to find the right dose and medication that works without side effects that are hard to tolerate? I feel like my psychiatrist is getting really frustrated with me and I feel bad. She has just had me call her office and leave a voicemail lately and she'll call me back. I hate doing that because I have what I want to say in my head but it never comes out right and is a mess. She sounded a little irritated when she said to stop the straterra because of the headaches and I told her I already did. I forgot to mention I ran out because she only gave me 2.5 weeks worth to start out with and I forgot the office closed early on Friday so she didn't call me back until Monday.
Old 06-14-19, 12:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,082 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any advice would be great!

Have you considered dexedrine? It can be more tolerable than adderall/

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-14-19, 04:41 AM

livinglife is on a distinguished road
Re: Any advice would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Have you considered dexedrine? It can be more tolerable than adderall/

I havenít heard of Dexedrine. Iím a little nervous to even ask about it. I may need to find a new psychiatrist who actually specializes in ADHD and I feel more comfortable talking too. Ive thought about asking to add Guafacine to the Adderall because Iíve heard the two together can really help but I donít feel like I can ask about that.
Sponsored Links