ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 08-12-19, 09:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

alan1 has a spectacular aura aboutalan1 has a spectacular aura about
What has been your experience with Effexor for ADHD alone??

I have recently been put on Effexor XL for ADHD - I do not have depression. At this stage the doctor is slowly ramping up the dose. After a month, now on 75mg, I have experienced many of its adverse effects so far with none of the benefits, That was expected.

At what dose did you have benefits?

What were the benefits for you?
Did any of the adverse effects persist?
How long until you felt some improvement?
Thanks
Old 08-28-19, 10:33 AM
Jr Member

Roxx1980 has disabled reputation
Cool Re: What has been your experience with Effexor for ADHD alone??

Was prescribed a whopping 30mg twice daily of the XR formulation at one point, drove my blood pressure sky high & gave me chronic migraines. Still didnít touch my ADHD but definitely let me know I needed to switch Docs lol I believe the maximum recommended daily dose of Effexor XR is 300mg, so if 600mg didnít cause any noticeable positive changes I donít think it was ever going to, but thatís just me 😉 Good luck with it!
Roxx
Old 08-28-19, 01:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road
Re: What has been your experience with Effexor for ADHD alone??

Effexor XR has a different effect depending on the dose. At a low dose of 75mg, it only plays serotonin. At a dose of 150mg it touches serotonin and norepinephrine, and at doses of 225mg or higher, it also touches dopamine. What does this mean? Effexor XR "may" be effective at high doses for ADHD, although it will not be as effective as a stimulant (methylphenidate, amphetamine) can be. As each person is one way, in this case I would listen to your doctor and wait until he was increasing the dose to see the results. Be patient and wait to see what happens, do not leave a medication until you are sure it does not work.

Venlafaxine, and other dual antidepressants such as duloxetine (Cymbalta) are a second option in the treatment for ADHD when stimulants have not worked or to work with them when there is anxiety in addition to the symptoms of ADHD.

Greetings and good luck!!
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
alan1 (09-01-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-19, 12:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

It has been almost 3 months since I started the Effexor ER. Just went up to 150mg once daily two days ago.
Two weeks ago I could finally feel some positive effects. A low dose of methylphenidate I was on to get me going in the morning became unnecessary and was stopped.
Focus is noticeably improved. I can do things requiring mental gymnastics for 15 - 20 minutes which is vastly better than the 3 - 4 minutes before.
The mild nausea and blurred vision I experienced over the first two weeks is gone and has stayed away. But the constipation I experienced gets worse then settles down to a tolerable level only to repeat the process with each dose increase. I felt really hyper a couple of weeks ago for several days but that has passed. Insomnia is still an issue but my doctor has me on Trazadone which has been nonaddictive and continues to work well.

This reminds me somewhat of my experience on Strattera. There were lots of unpleasant effects for 6 weeks before it helped at all. Unfortunately while my brain liked it the rest of my body ultimately found Strattera intolerable.

So I'm hoping I've reached the phase on Effexor where I experience increasing benefits and the adverse effects are given a chance to fade.
Old 09-27-19, 05:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

I'm glad you're better. as for constipation, eat foods high in fiber (oats, cereals in general, avocado, banana... Fruits) and hydrate well. Best regards.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...gh-fiber-foods

Last edited by benito; 09-27-19 at 05:59 AM..
Old 10-06-19, 06:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

Effexor ride continued - I play an instrument. In band rehearsals I can play the whole 1 1/2 hours. But, at home, practice of easy things was limited to 12 minutes and hard things literally less than 3 1/2 minutes. I really like playing but learning something new is always just too mentally taxing. The last time I could practice for 30 minutes was ten years ago on 20 mg of methylphenidate. But at that dose it also caused a bit of mania and it had to be reduced which was not terribly effective. Yesterday I had multiple practice sessions, the longest lasting 40 minutes! I had to stop because of my lip, not my brain. It was comfortable and amazing.

Unfortunately, once again, with each increase in dose I experience an increase in the adverse effects and this time is no different. Hopefully they will settle down this time as they have on every other occasion.
Old 10-06-19, 07:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

what dose are you in now?
Old 10-06-19, 09:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

150mg mg once daily