ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-05, 05:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
Creating your own reality

Sorry I haven't been posting as much, but I have been dealing with a personal matter that has been taking up most of my thoughts, lately.
I'm going to share with you my view on something I've been mulling over.
In understanding quantum mechanics, and in the hypotheses of how atoms/matter are not actually physical, but are actually comprised of thought, in sharing with you my views of how we believe ourselves to 'disappear', I don't mean that we physically disappear.
What I mean is that we move out of the area of the brain that has to do with our personality.
It has to do with our association to people, or association to places, our association to things and times and events..
We don't exist in the associative centers of our brain that reaffirm our identity...that reaffirm our personality. For the average person in the world who lives life and considers their life boring or uninspiring- it's because they've made no attempt to gain knowledge and information that will inspire them.
They're so hypnotized by their environment...through the media, through their family members, coworkers, doctors...others who live to create ideals and obstacles for some of us to struggle to become, that some of us can not become...in terms of the physical..the intellectual, and valor..
they are their illusions, not ours, and unfortunately most of us surrender and end up living life in mediocracy, to appease them.
Some of us may live that life and our souls may never really....our desire may never really rise to the surface so that we never want to be something other than what we have become.
But if one does rise to the surface...and ask themselves if there is something more..
or why am I here? What is the purpose of my life? Where am I going? What happens when I die? They start to ask those questions..they start to flirt with and interact with the perception that they may be having a nervous breakdown when in reality what they are doing is...their old concepts of how they've viewed their life in the world...that view starts to fall apart to make room for a new and beautiful view.
Create your own beautiful reality and stop using someone else's as you have been doing. You have more power than you think you do.
Believe in yourself as I do you.
Nova

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Old 11-03-05, 07:05 PM

Thanked 10,305 Times in 3,241 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Is this like "Wherever you go, there you are?"

Hope you feel better.
Old 11-03-05, 07:11 PM

Kinda :0)
More like in accepting that all of us have some 'addictive receptors' that we should just be accepting of, and come to terms with...in that we all need 'something' that we have to do to make us feel good..but maybe we should do something more productive in conjunction with the destructive in our lives to balance things out a little at times. I keep saying all of us have a talent..even if we don't believe we do..I know for a fact we all do. Do something with it. It doesn't have to be something that has to make money. It just should be something that should be 'allowed out' every now and again so you acknowledge its existence.
And yup, McT. Wherever you go..there you are..in more than one place..simultaneously. . Matter is not physical...Bunny..lol !
Good to know at least one person 'gets me' on here, lmao !!!
I miss you.
smooches!
Nova

-True Blood
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-05, 03:07 AM

Stabile has a spectacular aura aboutStabile has a spectacular aura about
Hey, you started the party without me…

OK, let’s see: virtually every part of your description of your experience and how your brain and mind works is accurate, according to the best models we have of neural function and the mind.

Dead boring almost mechanical stuff, neurons firing and relaxing, firing and relaxing, only…

you’re not supposed to be able to see it. In fact, have you ever considered how it is you perceive such workings of your inner self? There aren’t any sensory organs per se that allow us in_sight,

so the only candidate is out_sight; we see our inner selves reflected in the outside world.

And indeed we do. Your vision of your inner self arises from models that you’ve devised to explain cues and clues you’ve picked up from being out there with others, looking back at you, in here.

And look at what that perception brings you: knowledge of a universe inside, of your own making, and of a fundamental truth of reality,

that we make it ourselves, all of it, with everything and everyone we know and know of,

in_side,

in pretty much exactly the way you described.

Chicken and egg:

If you ‘see’ the inner workings of your mind and brain
as a reflection of yourself in others, the external reality
that is actually an illusion, actually an internal reality
of our own making,

who made you?

"There is no normal life, Wyatt.
There's just life. Get on with it."
Old 11-13-05, 03:40 AM

Part II: Revenge of the nerds…

We do create our own reality, literally, not some deep philosophical or spiritual concept. And not exactly quantum mechanics, either, although that does share a common flavor of counterintuitive strangeness.

Meaning? All inside, entirely provided by us. Nature doesn’t have any, won’t take it if offered. Order? Beautiful patterns, mathematical truths writ in the fabric of the Universe? All ours, all in here, in_side.

We’re in here right now, in_side. No external reality. No such animal. Just us, here, alone, in_side.

It is a bit disconcerting at first. I start with this and do this and follow this and all the sudden, we have a map of how we perceive reality, and as we trace the path through the map, from out_side to in_side, all there is appears out of nothing, like a wraith on the wind, solidifying into your Uncle Harry’s Studebaker, the smell of the hot metal and oil, the way the stiff fabric of the back seat chaffed your calves the gum turning turgid flavorless in your mouth the wind through that funny half-window…

All in here. None of it out there. For real, as shivering strange as wave-particle duality, wave function superposition, Schrödinger’s cats collapsing into cat at the literal wink of an eye.

And all following from a purely pedestrian application of what neurons do. The only thing that doesn’t follow is the sense that others don’t do it or see it, or at least, why others don’t do it:

Quote:
For the average person in the world who lives life and considers their life boring or uninspiring- it's because they've made no attempt to gain knowledge and information that will inspire them…
It isn’t what you think; they can’t do what you do so casually, and the longer they wait, the further away you soar.

Not everybody can do what you do, or has the will. I have been diverging for twenty years from my little brother, until we can’t even speak without him becoming upset with something implied by my words.

I live with the knowledge that it’s too late for him; he will never catch up, even if he had the will to turn around and start to build his inner models reflecting his perception of his inner self as reflected in the outer reality that is really in here.

This is a bright guy, too, with a PhD in math, a college professor; we were as close as can be, worked together, lived together, shared our reality, until he needed to match another reality, the flat one he perceived necessary to do math on a high level.

And now, he’s an artifact. It isn’t a big deal; nobody that makes that sort of decision is wrong, even though they don’t know what they’re giving up. But they’re not frozen in the way you would have to be, if you did what they did.

They can’t help it, and the way we look at it is this: if they don’t want to dance, we're not going to let that stop us from doing the Huckle-ty-buck.

Remember the end of the John Travolta / William Hurt movie Michael?

Cut yourself a break. That‘s you out there, dancing through the traffic unseen…

Old 11-13-05, 04:20 AM

Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,746 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
Hey Nova,

I started there, and I am now here, and I got there, through losing here, and there was a collapse, and here lies C.S.Lewis, for there was a block, and I tried to hear, and theirs was was not mine, lend me your ear, the air is not stale, staple stability from Stabile's table, wish you were here?
A wise choice,

I-C-U-u-u-u-u-u!

SB.
Old 11-14-05, 10:39 AM

Ok..here goes..I haven't talked with anyone on here about this because I thought that there wasn't anyone on this board that could relate :0).
It's ok to not relate fully..but to at least keep an open mind..which seems to be the case with you two..actually you two seem to be able to relate fully, which is a relief.
I have many other friends who are capable of relating to this concept, which is wonderful, as most people tend to think that it is 'loopy'..but as you have 'observed' (lol)..I'm not one who takes their viewpoints to mean truth :0)

We create the world as we observe it, and that every single thing is comprised of atoms. Since atoms are divisible to infinity, it suffices to say, the smallest dividend, has to be that of thought. So my view is that atoms are comprised of thought.

Everything from the chair you sit in, to the book you read, to your hands that hold up that book..all are less substantial than fairy dust..and I do believe in fairies..I do..I do.

Leave the room..and your computer ceases to exist..at least as matter most think to understand it to mean.
Only when we observe 'matter' do we collapse the quantum wave functions describing it an allow it to become reassuringly solid.

If you need me to describe the basics of collapsing wave functions, I'd be happy to do so. I assume the two of you to be intellectually capable of understanding the mechanisms involved..so I don't want to patronize you by doing so...but if you need me to do so, please ask and I will be happy to oblige. There is nothing shameful in obtaining information..ever.

In being blessed with ambidexterity..I'm able to 'talk the talk' meaning that I can converse with all, in the language that is most comfortable and easy to comprehend, for all..and I can switch back and forth, as easy as switching a light switch on a wall..
It also has the detriments of switching back and forth between analysis and emotions..as you can tell within my posts, which contain BOTH reason and rhyme, as my Granmere used to say about ME :0).

So in other words..my view is that our physical surroundings are not real in the sense of how most are used to thinking of them..I believe that there is no deep reality, but that reality is an illusion and that only our mind is real. Reality is malleable and we can and do shape it. We shape the world consciously, in consensus with the natural creative forces of the universe.

Reality is created by observation-specifically phenomenal reality, and we create it by observing and interacting with it. I know all about how most theorists and physicists can not agree on what constitutes 'observation', but I do know that empirical data suggests that the term observation has included the term 'belief'.
The foundation of the power of positive thinking: Believe in something strongly enough, and you are indeed creating, shaping, or reshaping it.

Undivided wholeness is reality. The observer literally is part of the observed structure.
There is absolutely no difference between the observer and the observed..between the world and the person in it.

That is why I adamantly believe that we create our own reality with our perceptions..may they be enhanced or distorted..it all depends on that moment..and our choice in perception..because we always have a choice.

I'm going to let you in on a personal story only to further prove how we do have power over creating our own reality. I don't normally divulge personal information unless it provides a means of good, and to be honest, I have been at the bottom of the barrel, and since I am determined in creating a more healthy, and positive reality for myself, once more, I am able to share this, now, with you.

In the beginning of June of 2005, when in Ohio, I was feeling the accumulation of invisiblity. No matter what I accomplished at work, in my personal life, in school, nothing was allowing me to feel 3D, as I was accustomed to feeling. I hadn't been able to articulate my thoughts for the past eight months, and when I did, intermittently, I was told they were frivolous, and I was disregarded as so, once more. I became quietly, the most introverted, that I had ever become, in my entire lifetime. While doing so, I was bombarded with the most negative and most hostile work environment also.
So while not being able to voice outloud my thoughts, and not being able to have nurture and feedback and the closeness and love that I needed...I became invisible.

I saw no one. I was the most depressed than I have ever known or allowed myself to ever be. To the outside world I still functioned on automatic. People would briefly say
"You don't look so good..Now can you believe this class I'm taking..and what a jerk my teacher is.." or "Are you ok...I can't believe she said that about me"

I weighed 74 pounds at the time and was still losing weight. I was creating my reality of becoming invisible.

On June 6, a Monday night, I found myself screaming inside my mind, so loudly, that I actually believed my neighbors to have heard me. The next night, and the night after, and the night after and so on, I went online, and sent resume after resume, until by June 14th, I obtained my current job.
Determination, job skill, education and having absolutely nothing left to lose, including my self, obtained and secured that job for me.
I gave my resignation notice to my employer the very next day, and started searching for hotel suites to live in until I could find other dwellings in the nearby area.

Since August 1st, I have found a great doctor who has helped me immensely.
I have severed ties, completely, with the people who were contributing to my damaged reality perception. I have found a great apartment in a suburb in MD, twenty minutes NE of DC. I have been diagnosed with right temporal brain seizures, but I haven't allowed to myself to perceive that in a negative way, because it shouldn't be viewed as such..it isn't life threatening, and even if it was, I firmly believe in reincarnation, so it would be hypocritical of me to do so, considering my spiritual faith :0)
And...TaDa......I am up to a whopping 92 pounds as of today !

We create our own reality each and every day. I would suggest to everyone to make it a great one !

I would to hear your views on this entire subject, Stabile and SB !!!
Nova

-True Blood
Old 11-17-05, 11:48 AM

What makes up things are not things...but what makes up things are:
Ideas
Concepts
Information
In other words...thoughts.
Nova

-True Blood
Old 11-17-05, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
What makes up things are not things...but what makes up things are:
Ideas
Concepts
Information
In other words...thoughts.
Nova
We’re thinkin' on it…

(Where’s the weekend when you need it?)

Old 11-17-05, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabile
We’re thinkin' on it…

(Where’s the weekend when you need it?)
Here and gone to the parallel universe, LOL, where someone might be saying the same exact thing !!
Don't get me started :0)
Nova

-True Blood
Old 11-17-05, 03:53 PM

Also..chew on this, while you're at it...
Why can almost all of us, remember our past events, but only a few of us, have access to pre-cognitive gifts, in viewing some of our the future events ?

AND how many believe they can change their behavior by acting 'now', and how they have control over their future in that manner, but many don't believe they are able to go back in time, and take care of karmic debt, by re-doing damages they have inflicted upon another...even if it means saying 'I'm truly sorry for...'(fill in the blank) to that person...

Go through the looking glass...Alice...reality is meant to be as malleable as digital photoshop..create whatever your heart desires with it..

Otherwise it's just a rigid regular ol' photograph.
Fun...but still 1D level..and not at all malleable...
Nova ;0)

-True Blood
Old 11-17-05, 05:57 PM

KarmicWhiplash is on a distinguished road
Sorry my ADD kicked in and I was able to read like the frst 3 sentances. However Mctavish was able to sum it up nicly for me.

I do just a what I do, not what I want to do, but what I'v got to do. - Coal Chamber

The wize man does at once, what the fool does finally. -Machiavelli
Old 11-18-05, 12:51 AM

nnamelet is on a distinguished road
Nova's Odyssey

Nova's story gripped and chilled me. 74 pounds! My God, I hope you were exaggerating. I've known anorexics for whom it seemed non eating was associated in some way with physical appearance. But in your case there seems to have been awful mind issues that put you in a downward spiral.

You know, there's an occupational hazard for us academic people - ideas are all important. I am not sure we'd find a stevedore, furniture mover, or a long-distance truck driver get close to that kind of trouble.

I grew up in an extremely intellectual family, and the awful complexes coming out of that were just starting to get resolved when I married an alcoholic. Pink cloud romance but I started slipping back, went into a tailspin and crashed. Fortunately, by then I was a member of Al Anon, the partner group to AA, which I have attended ever since - even after I remarried.

The 12 -step programs have a misleading slogan called KISS (keep it simple, stupid). By misleading I mean it isn't at all easy to keep the simple basics in mind.

For me it means whereas in the workplace, etc. it's ok to be complicated if that's what the task or goal requires, in my personal lives (including relationships with bosses or coworkers) there are time-tested guidelines that keep me sane - well, rather, keep restoring sanity.

I don't think humans were intended to operate alone. It's too easy for the rocket to misfire. I have to regularly get my distorted perspectives straightened out at meetings. It's been compared to commercial airline pilots. They are on course only 5% of the time. the rest of the time they're making adjustments to their course.

Martin Luther said it best. "Man is like a donkey, who is sometimes ridden by God and sometimes by the Devil".

Nam

================================================== =======
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
Ok..here goes..I haven't talked with anyone on here about this because I thought that there wasn't anyone on this board that could relate :0).
It's ok to not relate fully..but to at least keep an open mind..which seems to be the case with you two..actually you two seem to be able to relate fully, which is a relief.
I have many other friends who are capable of relating to this concept, which is wonderful, as most people tend to think that it is 'loopy'..but as you have 'observed' (lol)..I'm not one who takes their viewpoints to mean truth :0)

We create the world as we observe it, and that every single thing is comprised of atoms. Since atoms are divisible to infinity, it suffices to say, the smallest dividend, has to be that of thought. So my view is that atoms are comprised of thought.

Everything from the chair you sit in, to the book you read, to your hands that hold up that book..all are less substantial than fairy dust..and I do believe in fairies..I do..I do.

Leave the room..and your computer ceases to exist..at least as matter most think to understand it to mean.
Only when we observe 'matter' do we collapse the quantum wave functions describing it an allow it to become reassuringly solid.

If you need me to describe the basics of collapsing wave functions, I'd be happy to do so. I assume the two of you to be intellectually capable of understanding the mechanisms involved..so I don't want to patronize you by doing so...but if you need me to do so, please ask and I will be happy to oblige. There is nothing shameful in obtaining information..ever.

In being blessed with ambidexterity..I'm able to 'talk the talk' meaning that I can converse with all, in the language that is most comfortable and easy to comprehend, for all..and I can switch back and forth, as easy as switching a light switch on a wall..
It also has the detriments of switching back and forth between analysis and emotions..as you can tell within my posts, which contain BOTH reason and rhyme, as my Granmere used to say about ME :0).

So in other words..my view is that our physical surroundings are not real in the sense of how most are used to thinking of them..I believe that there is no deep reality, but that reality is an illusion and that only our mind is real. Reality is malleable and we can and do shape it. We shape the world consciously, in consensus with the natural creative forces of the universe.

Reality is created by observation-specifically phenomenal reality, and we create it by observing and interacting with it. I know all about how most theorists and physicists can not agree on what constitutes 'observation', but I do know that empirical data suggests that the term observation has included the term 'belief'.
The foundation of the power of positive thinking: Believe in something strongly enough, and you are indeed creating, shaping, or reshaping it.

Undivided wholeness is reality. The observer literally is part of the observed structure.
There is absolutely no difference between the observer and the observed..between the world and the person in it.

That is why I adamantly believe that we create our own reality with our perceptions..may they be enhanced or distorted..it all depends on that moment..and our choice in perception..because we always have a choice.

I'm going to let you in on a personal story only to further prove how we do have power over creating our own reality. I don't normally divulge personal information unless it provides a means of good, and to be honest, I have been at the bottom of the barrel, and since I am determined in creating a more healthy, and positive reality for myself, once more, I am able to share this, now, with you.

In the beginning of June of 2005, when in Ohio, I was feeling the accumulation of invisiblity. No matter what I accomplished at work, in my personal life, in school, nothing was allowing me to feel 3D, as I was accustomed to feeling. I hadn't been able to articulate my thoughts for the past eight months, and when I did, intermittently, I was told they were frivolous, and I was disregarded as so, once more. I became quietly, the most introverted, that I had ever become, in my entire lifetime. While doing so, I was bombarded with the most negative and most hostile work environment also.
So while not being able to voice outloud my thoughts, and not being able to have nurture and feedback and the closeness and love that I needed...I became invisible.

I saw no one. I was the most depressed than I have ever known or allowed myself to ever be. To the outside world I still functioned on automatic. People would briefly say
"You don't look so good..Now can you believe this class I'm taking..and what a jerk my teacher is.." or "Are you ok...I can't believe she said that about me"

I weighed 74 pounds at the time and was still losing weight. I was creating my reality of becoming invisible.

On June 6, a Monday night, I found myself screaming inside my mind, so loudly, that I actually believed my neighbors to have heard me. The next night, and the night after, and the night after and so on, I went online, and sent resume after resume, until by June 14th, I obtained my current job.
Determination, job skill, education and having absolutely nothing left to lose, including my self, obtained and secured that job for me.
I gave my resignation notice to my employer the very next day, and started searching for hotel suites to live in until I could find other dwellings in the nearby area.

Since August 1st, I have found a great doctor who has helped me immensely.
I have severed ties, completely, with the people who were contributing to my damaged reality perception. I have found a great apartment in a suburb in MD, twenty minutes NE of DC. I have been diagnosed with right temporal brain seizures, but I haven't allowed to myself to perceive that in a negative way, because it shouldn't be viewed as such..it isn't life threatening, and even if it was, I firmly believe in reincarnation, so it would be hypocritical of me to do so, considering my spiritual faith :0)
And...TaDa......I am up to a whopping 92 pounds as of today !

We create our own reality each and every day. I would suggest to everyone to make it a great one !

I would to hear your views on this entire subject, Stabile and SB !!!
Nova
Old 11-18-05, 01:06 AM

Don't let this post baffle your scientific mind, Doc...lol !
As you'll note I have the best sense of humor..and I have to take what's left of life with whatever spices are available to me :0)
I wasn't exaggerating about my weight..I did weigh 74 pounds at the time I left Ohio in August..But I am a robust 92 pounds as we text now..so mind over 'matter' so to speak..lol !!
It's all in how you want to perceive your world.
Positive or negative.
You should read more posts on here.
They truly are delightful..I mean that from my heart.
There are an abundance of miracles to be found on this board.
You'll be amazed if you just think outside that ' safe and familiar' box of yours. :0)
Nova

-True Blood
Old 11-18-05, 04:37 PM

There is no reality in the absence of observation.
- The Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics

-True Blood