ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-06, 12:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~ žEEK ~*
However, a friend of mine who has ADD is a klutz. He drops and breaks stuff all the time, and seems to regularly injure himself too.
Lack of "grace" and problems with coordination are common among ADDers, but they are not universal (few characteristics of ADD are, though).

Quote:
As for long term memory, I would say that my ADD not my Dyslexia effects my short term memory more than my long term memory.
Working memory is a PRIMARY deficit in ADD, as you've noted. It's not exactly the same thing as the concept of "short-term memory".

Information can and does enter long-term memory without being maintained in working memory, so many times ADDers learn much more than they are aware. Accessing that information, though, is sometimes as difficult as maintaining it. You can't process (in OR out) what you cannot hold attention to.

If you can use strategies like elaboration, memorizing will be easier. Rote memorization seems nearly impossible for most ADDers, but elaboration seems to LOCK it in, like you describe.

Simply try to connect the information you want to remember to something memorable that you already know.

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 07-15-06, 02:00 AM

*~ žEEK ~* has a spectacular aura about*~ žEEK ~* has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbyma
Working memory is a PRIMARY deficit in ADD, as you've noted. It's not exactly the same thing as the concept of "short-term memory".

Information can and does enter long-term memory without being maintained in working memory, so many times ADDers learn much more than they are aware. Accessing that information, though, is sometimes as difficult as maintaining it. You can't process (in OR out) what you cannot hold attention to.

If you can use strategies like elaboration, memorizing will be easier. Rote memorization seems nearly impossible for most ADDers, but elaboration seems to LOCK it in, like you describe.

Simply try to connect the information you want to remember to something memorable that you already know.
Barb you're an absolutely wonderful resource! Have I told you that yet?

I know exactly what you mean here.

For example, I use to have a terrible time with peoples names. Well, I still do unless I immediately think of someone else who also has the same name. For some reason thinking of someone who also has the same name seems to lock the people's names into my memory and I can then recall their name.

Now that you brought it up, I never really thought about it until now, but I also use this sort of a "Free Association" method in my college courses! Which I'm absolutely sure has a lot to do with how well I do in college now! Well, I must admit that being properly medicated for my ADD makes a world of difference too! Before I was medicated I would associate whatever I was learning with something else and would find myself completely lost down that thought process (Association) and I would find myself somewhere in Bermuda or somewhere!! LOL And by the time my mind got back from Bermuda the instructor was on a completely different topic!!! LOL Now that I'm on medication for my ADD I will still think "Bermuda", but like a flash I am back with the instructor and on to the next topic/association!

However, how can one associate a sequence of numbers with anything?? This seems nearly impossible for me to do! For example, my PIN number for my debit card! I've had the same number for years now, and I use my debit card a minimum of at least once every 2 weeks to check my balance and to get out cash! One would think that I would be able to remember this 4 digit number, but every time I try to remember it, I can't!!

Therefore I have the 4 digit PIN number written down in my billfold so that it looks like a telephone number. I even have a fictitious name written down next to this number just in case I loose my wallet! Every time I go to the bank I still have to pull that piece of paper out so I can look at what my PIN number is, and every time I see it, I think to myself, "Oh, geez I knew that!" but by the next time, I have forgotten it again! It drives me crazy that I can't remember this number.

The fact that todays phones all have telephone numbers in memory at first seemed like a wonderful function to me! However, now I can't remember anybodies telephone number since I don't have to remember them and all my telephones remember the numbers for me! I'm afraid that someday I am going to find myself in the Emergency room after an accident or something, and they are going to ask me for an emergency contact number and I'm not going to be able to remember even my own stinking telephone number!! LOL I feel a little anxiety just thinking about it! LOL Which is why I have most of my important numbers typed up, laminated, and stored in my billfold! Otherwise it might be days before anyone would even know I was injured and in the hospital! LOL

All Posts Are My Constitutionally Protected Opinion.
_.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:l~žeek~l:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._
Old 07-15-06, 02:47 AM
Contributor

happycat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Therefore I have the 4 digit PIN number written down in my billfold so that it looks like a telephone number. I even have a fictitious name written down next to this number just in case I loose my wallet! Every time I go to the bank I still have to pull that piece of paper out so I can look at what my PIN number is, and every time I see it, I think to myself, "Oh, geez I knew that!" but by the next time, I have forgotten it again! It drives me crazy that I can't remember this number.
Seek--I can't remember pin/phone numbers either....my solution is that I just find a short pattern (for some reason, I've always been able to remember phone numbers by the pattern they create on the phone/key pad) So, for example, if your pin number is 1397, you could envision just punching in a large sqaure on the keypad.

Last edited by meadd823; 07-15-06 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: add quote tags
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-06, 06:16 AM

Myomancy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, links to articles should be all you need. For those of us that conduct research, failing to cite a peer-reviewed source would result in not getting published, so it's the appropriate source IMO.
I agree with you 100% but apparently that isn't allowed because I would be driving traffic to my own web site.
Old 07-15-06, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823
I am sorry to disagree here but I have dyslexia I have neither problems with coordination nor long memory(which is execellent-btw). As a matter of fact, many dyslexics depend on their long term memory to cover up for the struggle reading.
I'm glad your physical coordination is good but this isn't common in dyslexics. For example:

Comparison of deficits in cognitive and motor skills among children with dyslexia [ pdf ] (Not sure the link is working, check the study via Google Schoolar)

The children with dyslexia performed significantly worse than the same-age controls on most tasks, and significantly worse even than the reading age controls on phoneme segmentation, picture naming speed, word flash, bead threading and both blindfold and dual task balance. Overall, the performance of the 16 year, old children with dyslexia was no better than that of the 8 year old normally-achieving children, with some skills being significantly worse, and some better.

There are several other studies on motor skills and dyslexia or ADHD, all find a significant number of dyslexic have poor coordination skills.

With regards memory, I was referring to short term rather than long term memory and yes, being dyslexic doesn't mean you cannot have a good short or long-term memory. However dyslexics tend to have poor short-term memories.

Old 07-15-06, 07:15 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,418 Times in 6,123 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Moderator Note.

I would like to remind every one that the subject of this thread is about being easily startled,

Please keep this in mind out of respect for the member who began this thread with a specific question.

Any one is welcome to begin discussion about another topic by beginning a new thread or doing a search on that topic and adding to an already existing thread.

Those interested in the discussion of sensitive ôsniffersö is invited to the thread hyper linked below.

Sensative to smells discussion already in progress

Sorry for the interruption, please carry on!

***Note: any comment regarding this moderator note or any staff action is invited to private message me or one of the other moderators. Please do not post questions to staff on the thread I would like to avoid any further disruption of this discussion Thanks***

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 07-15-06 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: it was here already
Old 07-16-06, 01:06 AM

janet1969 is on a distinguished road
I am the same way, and I don't know what to do about it.

Janet
Old 07-16-06, 02:49 AM
Forum Guru

sosninity will become famous soon enough
I always smile at this topic because my kids used to refer to me as "What's that noise?" since I was always saying that phrase in an anxious tone.

My high school boyfriend nicknamed me Miss Muffet after the character in the nursery rhyme: "Along came a spider, and sat down beside her, and frightened Miss Muffet away."

I take Risperdal for anxiety and OCD, and it usually keeps the jumping and gasping to a minimum.
Old 07-16-06, 04:30 AM

*~ žEEK ~* has a spectacular aura about*~ žEEK ~* has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycat
Seek--I can't remember pin/phone numbers either....my solution is that I just find a short pattern (for some reason, I've always been able to remember phone numbers by the pattern they create on the phone/key pad) So, for example, if your pin number is 1397, you could envision just punching in a large sqaure on the keypad.
That's a wonderful idea! I'm going to try that!

Thank you Happycat!

All Posts Are My Constitutionally Protected Opinion.
_.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:l~žeek~l:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._
Old 07-19-06, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregenza
I agree with you 100% but apparently that isn't allowed because I would be driving traffic to my own web site.
Links to articles would be driving traffic to your website???

Is your website a peer-reviewed, online academic journal? Those are the kinds of articles you would need to support a claim made about ADHD.

Old 07-20-06, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Is your website a peer-reviewed, online academic journal? Those are the kinds of articles you would need to support a claim made about ADHD.
On all the relevent articles on Myomancy I link to the scientific study I'm talking about. Often, such as recent article I did on the size of the cerebellum, I link to several different studies.

There are times in disucssion such as this one when it would be easier to say "if you want more information on topic X, you can find links to several studies here... and some commentry on why I think they are interesting".

There are also times when people are seeking information on a subject not covered by scientific journals. Such as "has anyone tried teatment X?" If I've written 2000 words on my expereinces with treatment X then giving them a link to the appropriate article on Myomancy is the sensible approach.
Old 07-20-06, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregenza
On all the relevent articles on Myomancy I link to the scientific study I'm talking about. ...
How difficult would it be, then, to cite or link those same articles here?

Quote:
There are also times when people are seeking information on a subject not covered by scientific journals. Such as "has anyone tried teatment X?" If I've written 2000 words on my expereinces with treatment X then giving them a link to the appropriate article on Myomancy is the sensible approach.
It may seem sensible, but what would that provide that you couldn't cut and paste? And how is this not "covered by scientific journals"??

I have found absolutely NO subject that is not addressed by someone in the scientific community. Sure, there are many areas that need more research before conclusions may be drawn, but that's hardly the same thing.

I can't imagine that anyone asking for experiences about a treatment isn't at all interested in whether or not the treatment works. That's a question that cannot be answered with any amount of words about a person's experience.

Old 07-20-06, 07:16 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Brief OT moment (sorry Tamm) real quick ok?

Barb, I try out there, I really do and then I find stuff like this:

http://forums.families.com/add-adhd-...bstances,t3479

...last post is mine and of course the OP has never replied

and I think of you fondly, then go tracking down the source of this madness:

http://www.mansprincesswomansknight....One_Page_5.htm

and that activates my high startle reflex (hah! I worked it in!) because it never fails to startle me how truly ridiculous some people are...and I remember you again and regroup for another go at fighting the madness.

Crazy (currently cogitating a way to get this nut [from the links] into a polite debate forum and tear into him nicely)
Old 07-21-06, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet

http://forums.families.com/add-adhd-...bstances,t3479

...last post is mine and of course the OP has never replied

and I think of you fondly, then go tracking down the source of this madness:

http://www.mansprincesswomansknight....One_Page_5.htm

... because it never fails to startle me how truly ridiculous some people are...and I remember you again and regroup for another go at fighting the madness.
May I say NICE JOB?

It's a frustrating and time-consuming pursuit that seems to sum up to spinning wheels, but I still think that every post that counters the bunk chips away at ignorance.

I hope you continue! I get so tired and jaded sometimes....

Old 07-21-06, 08:00 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
May I say NICE JOB?
You may, and I thank you. May I also say that I needed to hear that too? As perky and upbeat as I tend to come off sometimes, I remain human in the end and it helps to know someone notices I am trying...not to mention correct!

Quote:
It's a frustrating and time-consuming pursuit that seems to sum up to spinning wheels, but I still think that every post that counters the bunk chips away at ignorance.
Indeed it is, but it appears this is hard-wired into me. As far as I can tell, I was born with that driving need to get to the facts of the matter and an utter lack of tolerance for ignorance. I have to admit I have gotten much better at expressing myself without pushing away my target audience as I have gotten older? But yes, I feel like I am fighting that proverbial elephant in the living room that nobody else seems to see some days.

Quote:
I hope you continue! I get so tired and jaded sometimes....
No doubt I will continue :soapbox: I have inspirations to look to now...and I had to let you know you were one of them. Its the same battle and the same cause after all.

That stupid forum is having PM issues now and its driving me up a wall! I am finally getting some feedback from staff over there, and cannot get through to them by PM. I will continue to try, because what I really want to see is that post deleted entirely and replaced with my correct information.

That guy is such a *******, I cannot and will NOT respect what he posted as "facts" on some kind of "differing opinions" concept. Its not about his opinions, its about facts!

And I remember you again. Thanks Barb!

Crazy *still cogitating and still fighting the good fight*