ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-06, 08:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
It is very interesting to see so many ADD people who are hypersensitive. I too have a super sniffer, sensitive hearing, and startle easily.

I took my son and friends to see Independence Day for his birthday. In the scene where they are starting to dissect the "dead" creature, you see its appendages move, you know something is going to happen, you can feel it, you are ready for it... Then, BAM, it hits the window. I jumped out of my seat screaming. Everyone else in the theater was just sitting there calmly watching the movie.

My son and his friends still laugh about it.

One question about hearing. I can hear all sorts of little noises and far off things but I have a hard time figuring out lyrics to songs and often miss or don't hear dialogue on TV programs. Any input?
Old 07-21-06, 08:50 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by radekker

One question about hearing. I can hear all sorts of little noises and far off things but I have a hard time figuring out lyrics to songs and often miss or don't hear dialogue on TV programs. Any input?
My memory might be failing me (it often does) but for some reason HighFunctioning came to mind when I read that?

Forum search engine search lyrics maybe?

Worth a shot anyway.

Crazy (heeeeeelp gimme a bucket!)
Old 07-21-06, 10:22 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by radekker

My memory might be failing me (it often does) but for some reason HighFunctioning came to mind when I read that?
I'm sure your memory isn't failing you this time. I've mentioned this before, relating to APD (auditory processing disorders). Those with APD/CAPD (whatever you want to call it) have difficulty with decoding spoken words, have hypersensitive hearing (overamplitude), slow processing speed, etc. Auditory processing run along a continuum, and one would have to have a significant impairment in order to get a diagnosis, but that is the heart of the matter. Auditory processing issues seem to be somewhat common around here, but we haven't had a poll in quite a while.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-06, 10:28 PM

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Thanks Highfunctioning-I will check that out. There seems to be a name for everything.

There is one for the very uncoordinated and clumsy-forgot what it is called. Someone here will know though.
Old 07-21-06, 10:41 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFunctioning
I'm sure your memory isn't failing you this time. I've mentioned this before, relating to APD (auditory processing disorders). Those with APD/CAPD (whatever you want to call it) have difficulty with decoding spoken words, have hypersensitive hearing (overamplitude), slow processing speed, etc. Auditory processing run along a continuum, and one would have to have a significant impairment in order to get a diagnosis, but that is the heart of the matter. Auditory processing issues seem to be somewhat common around here, but we haven't had a poll in quite a while.
Thanks HF I really am doubting my memory tonight. I am having a bADD day and that helped me. I also remember why I was foggy about this in the first place ugh! Hard to know when I am making sense or not!

Crazy
Old 08-29-07, 11:44 AM

Who Me ? is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823
Although I have never attacked any one I have been known to spin around with my fist raised.
Wow !
Same here.
A fairly timid, but pleasant Indian colleague snuck up and dug me in the ribs from behind while I was standing watching something on a wall-TV.
I too, spun around with a raised fist - which must have been a bit intimidating, 'cos I'm a big guy.
I didn't hit him either - but he went running off to his superior and I was told I "needed to calm down".
Well, I'm a reasonably calm person (considering) - so that particular criticism didn't go down too well, lemmetellya.

My mum had a terrible apprehension of bursting balloons.
I don't have that - but a do JUMP pretty far if startled.

A weird and I feel, related upside to this attentional state is that when I'm tired to the point of unconsciousness while driving - no matter how many times I nod off, I ALWAYS wake myself within a split second ... always.
Indeed, I can even hear my consciousness switching on and off - I'm aware of all sound momentarily ceasing and then starting again.
Very strange to retain an awareness that continues to feed back to your thinking mind RIGHT TO the point of unconsciousness.
But that's only occurred when I've been sleep deprived on a daily basis for a number of weeks.
Funny thing consciousness.
Old 08-29-07, 08:08 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
The simple answer to this is YES!! and it's highly annoying!

Selena
Old 09-09-07, 11:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

higgledy will become famous soon enough
Could it be that everyone in this thread has Auditory Processing Disorder along with ADHD? I just read that up to 80% of people with ADHD also suffer from APD. My son was just diagnosed with APD, before this I never knew APD even existed. But one symptom of APD is intollerant of loud noises.
Old 10-17-07, 10:34 PM

Foxie will become famous soon enough
Re: High Startle Reflex Anyone?

I've always been very jumpy ... you can be talking to me and jump or scream and I'll damn near **** my pants.
Old 10-20-07, 06:52 AM

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,509 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't really become aware of my startle reflex and issues with noise etc until kids came along. Random crashes, thuds etc and its like my brain rings like a bell, I can almost feel the reverberations in my skull. And as for wailing kids.....I have to leave the room.

kilt
Old 10-20-07, 11:35 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

I jump like a little chihuahua sometimes when I am over sensitive
Old 10-20-07, 05:14 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

yah, a sudden noise will make me jump.

When my hyperacusis was acting up a sudden noise would completely disorient me.

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 10-22-07, 10:02 PM

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

I do not startle easily to noise but do to touch. I am very sensitive to touch and it makes me jump a mile when someone touches me and I did not expect it.

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
Old 02-08-09, 08:45 AM

kk115 is on a distinguished road

If there was one thing I could change in my life, it would be this!

The most annoying thing about it is how it affects watching movies. Sometimes i can't take it and fast forward to see if there is anything to make me jump.

The actual startling sucks, but the anxiety that lingers while preparing for it is even worse.
Old 02-08-09, 11:05 AM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

not all the time...but sometimes Ive come close to hitting my head on the ceiling .....