ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Recipes
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Recipes Easy recipes for the ADDer & ADD Family

Old 04-02-06, 11:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
I have only very sad tales to tell. heheh
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 07-05-06, 11:25 PM

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisp
I think my ADD ensures that I rarely make the same dish the same way twice. I have a tendency to start randomly throwing in handfuls of spices. Usually, this turns out well.
now that really does sound like the way i love to cook. I really get lost in the kitchen, i lose all track of time space and anything around me. I dont like to folow a recipe at all. i just start adding this and that untill i think it is done. Now i wont say that everything that i have made has turned out great, i have had many many disasters. but it is one of the few things i really feel i do well.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
Old 07-06-06, 12:37 AM
Contributor

boardtabitz has disabled reputation
I can't bake without having to count the cups of flour over and over again.

It has now spread to my lasagna. I have to pull up parts because I discover I left a layer out, over and over again during the session.

We won't even talk about what I can do to a meal on a grill. THey need to make a timer for those things - loud one.
Old 10-09-06, 10:08 AM

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Lerious
I've noticed that my constant search for new stimulation makes me love to experiment, with herb combinations on meat, chicken, beef, pork etc. Also, I love food with lots of taste and variety in taste.
for me, i can take the easyies quickest recipie and make it into an all day affair. I am the only one that I know of that can dirty a whole kitchen full of dishes making grilled cheese and soup.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
Old 10-30-06, 11:31 PM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 803 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute
Some days I will read the reciepe word by word, line by line. I am super exact with measurements. Other days, I can't be bothered.
Old 10-31-06, 03:08 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
this is an interesting question..
i think b/c of my adhd my timing for cooking was totally disastrous when i was younger (teenage years til early twenties). although i've cooked all my life-when i was a child i made every variation of home made pancakes i could think up for example and experimented with food and made my brothers eat it!
now that i'm 31 and a mother i've improved drastically but it has taken me a long time to get multiple dishes down. for instance when i was younger i would make an entree and ..sides? what sides? you have to eat your entree first so i can make the sides LOL...
now i can think about it before hand and really time things out so i can manage to orchestrate a whole meal. this level of practical organization has been the most challenging but i've turned out to be quite the cook finally!
recently i've quit working and my husband said "honey, we don't have to eat something NEW every single night, you've cooked something different for months now, its ok to repeat a meal"
LOLLLLLLLLLLL i was flabbergasted. i was like are you kidding? you're asking me to repeat some stuff i've made? you don't want something totally different? b/c thats the way i think of food often times, what ELSE is there to make that i haven't made?
also, i prefer my own cooking to a lot of the mediocre neighborhood restaurants in the suburbs here in exburbia houston. i actually season. many restaurants don't have a clue about how to season!!!
so anyway i have a tendency to try out a million recipes, and only through years of cooking have i mastered my ability to turn out a complete meal at finish line time- i.e. salad plus entree and sides etc.
i prefer making my own dressings, i make everything from scratch except breads and pastas (will be doing that in the future, plan on teaching myself next year)
i love cooking
hate the cleaning afterward!
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR
Old 10-31-06, 04:37 AM
Contributor

charonshanti has a spectacular aura aboutcharonshanti has a spectacular aura about
Cooking? Sigh...

Here is the dinner menu at my home.
1) burned. --oops, got distracted!
2) missing. --oops, didn't manage to get to the grocery store, or forgot to thaw the ingredients. OR hyperfocused on a work project two hours longer than I should have.
3) late. See #2, but error wasn't fatal.
4) NQR. Something's missing, sorry, thought I put everything in.
5) One of the three successful simple and nutritious recipes I can keep in my head at once. No kidding. If I add a new one, I can no longer cook one of the old ones. It appears to be genetic. Hope meds help on this one.

If something in the dinner plan went wrong, well...fortunately, my family loves breakfast for dinner. Also fortunately, my husband grew up on baloney and white bread sandwiches and thinks anything I make is great. And I am so grateful he eats leftovers.

My new plan is to make a 3-ingredient rotating two-week dinner list, and if manage to put something in the crockpot the day ahead I can indulge a real meal instead. Somehow it's easier to cook for the deadline tomorrow than the deadline today. I try to have guests over regularly to force myself to get creative and remind myself I really can do it. Then cooking seems easier for the next several days.

I love trying new flavors or regional foods. Usually in a restaurant. All my guests think I'm a wonderful and creative cook. They assume this is how my husband eats day to day. Hah...My husband leaves each day with a good home cooked breakfast and a lunch packed. But dinner, well..... it's not as bad as it sounds but it could be a whole lot better.

I've read that many ADD'ers have stimulation hunger. That matches how I feel about food--I always want something out of the ordinary, even just a little bit, in my diet. Chili-powdered covered mango suckers, for instance. Or indian starfruit pickles or chole. Or jamaica. Pumpkin latte. Just something small for an occasional change. My husband is the opposite. I think he might be a super-taster. Same ol same ol suits him fine. He doesn't like strong flavors--coffee, alcohol, highly spiced.
Old 11-04-06, 02:08 AM
Jr Member

Meatghost is on a distinguished road
I have a huge stash of spices on hand from Penzeys so from there it's usually meat, onion pan or grill.

I'm good at raiding the pantry and coming up with something to eat but I also love food from around the world - I buy a pound of cumin at at time.

I have a collection of cookbooks that cover the globe, but I go through them once a year and give away the ones I don't use - otherwise I rarely follow any recipe to the letter and usually alter what I'm making to suit my taste.

Now, if only my my wife wasn't such a picky eater, I could really go gonzo in the kitchen.
Old 01-02-07, 02:03 PM
Forum ADDvocate

DaveHawk has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by krisp
I think my ADD ensures that I rarely make the same dish the same way twice. I have a tendency to start randomly throwing in handfuls of spices. Usually, this turns out well.

Same here, but I am a great cook, I was watching the hunting channel and a dove hunt was on in Mexico and they showed the way that prepare Dove. OMG ! I did and even though I only grilled up 25 dove if I had 100 it would not have been enough.

I Cooked for Emerisons Stake house years ago and was the 2nd cook for about a year. I learned allot in the kitchen. It's not all that hard you just need to have good taist buds. LOL
Old 01-16-07, 09:06 PM

Claudia_0102 is on a distinguished road
All i can say is i love to cook and love to eat. Although dexedrine makes my appetite go away.

Old 03-11-07, 10:03 AM
Jr Member

TabbyKat is on a distinguished road
I love cooking! Most of the time, I think my ADD is responsible for the interesting combos I come up with. Nothing EVER tastes the same way twice.

The down side? Well, just a few days ago we had burnt corn dogs for dinner. I also made hamburger helper flambe once... Don't ever attempt to bake hamburger helper. It tends to get rather...errr...fiery, if you forget that you put it in the oven.
Old 03-26-07, 01:48 PM

dervish is on a distinguished road
I do experiment alot usually with wonderful results, on a rare occasion its awful but very rarely. it also takes me a long time and although my wife hates to cook she always complains about the huge mess I leave when I'm done and how long it takes. I never attributed any of that to add but it seems like alot of you have the same tendencies
Old 03-26-07, 07:15 PM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Meds help. Marrying a really good cook helped even more.

Phaedrus

Old 03-26-07, 08:40 PM

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
Agreed Imnapl ! I did that ...too!

And for me ...cooking and ADD...one word...

BURNT!

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 05-31-07, 03:54 AM

Carrickfergus is on a distinguished road
If anything, it makes me a better cook... because I can really get going and prepare an entire meal single-handedly. Granted, this mainly works only with PREPARATION. If I have things that need to be watched, I can tend to forget about them. The last two times I tried making steamed dishes -- corn and rice -- I actually nearly ruined the pot. On the other hand, I also had never cooked either of those before, so that might be a reason. :-P

I dunno -- other than sometimes forgetting and leaving the kettle on, I never really attributed my cooking skills to my ADD. Both of my siblings and I learned to cook when we were quite young, and all three of us are proficient chefs. I have to say, in all truth, that my little brother is the best of all three of us, and his ADHD is so bad he couldn't pass high school and couldn't even READ above a 1st grade level until he was about 14. He makes the BEST omelettes on the East coast. I can't do much with an egg other than hard-boil it.