ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-09, 05:55 PM

trashion is on a distinguished road
Anyone else really, really into soft fabrics?

It occurred to me a long time ago that I am really, really into soft things, especially bedding. I love soft blankets.

Here's a picture of my bed:

Satin comforter, silky soft faux-fur blanket over the pillows to rest against when sitting in bed, faux-fur blankets at the foot of the bed to use as needed, etc.

I never really noticed for a long time, either. A friend commented one day last year on the array of soft bedding I have, and it just clicked. When I'm in stores, I can't help but touch silk clothes, satin sheets, etc. I don't think it's really a problem, but just an odd personal tic.

Anyone else know what I mean?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trashion For This Useful Post:
447dbe (07-08-11), Joker_Girl (12-13-12), peripatetic (02-12-10), yellowflowers (09-15-12)
Old 02-16-09, 05:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,525 Times in 13,325 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone else really, really into soft fabrics?

um, I'm on the couch with the laptop, a satin comforter and 2 soft blankets!
Old 02-16-09, 06:08 PM

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to be very sensitive to how things feel on my skin. I won't wear or sleep in fabrics that aren't soft.

I also love the feel of beads strung in temporary hanks. You can really feel the fineness of the bead that way. I have bean bag wrist rests that are fun to touch. Virtually everything that I have a great deal of contact with has to be pleasing to touch.

Things that aren't fun to touch are a distraction. Socks that don't fit quite right or bad elastic in a bra or waistband is grounds for constant distraction. I remove tags from necklines and anything close to my body because I know that they will bother me.

All that said, I think that ADHDers have a tendency to be hyper sensitive to other senses as well. I know I am to sound and movement in my peripheral range. I'm also hyper sensitive to light. This is with and without medication.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (09-15-12), arrested_truth (02-13-10), danelady (07-31-10), yellowflowers (09-15-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-09, 06:40 PM

Tigger-I know exactly what you mean about the beads!

I'm very hyper-sensitive to sounds. If my roommate and her boyfriend are in here talking, I can never get ANY work done. Same thing if there is music playing down the hall that I can (even faintly!) hear, etc.
Old 02-16-09, 07:45 PM

ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashion View Post
Tigger-I know exactly what you mean about the beads!

I'm very hyper-sensitive to sounds. If my roommate and her boyfriend are in here talking, I can never get ANY work done. Same thing if there is music playing down the hall that I can (even faintly!) hear, etc.
I will make a bet that you also have VERY acute hearing. I can hear my neighbor's television when on a different floor and as far away from the shared wall as I can get. Drives me out of my tree!

Old 02-16-09, 07:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

somuchbetter will become famous soon enough

I am definitely the same way. In fact I think I'm going to go change into some sweatpants right now...
Old 02-16-09, 08:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

qhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of light

OMG yes! lol

I LOVE soft things. Soft clothes, soft bedding, soft anything. If the material is only slight scratchy or uncomfy in one area, it drives me nuts all day or I won't be able to sleep.
School is a society sanctioned torture system designed to rob people of their sanity and to give them a falsely inflated ego upon completion where one gets a piece of paper saying "I sat on my rear in crowded classrooms for x years and only spit up what they told me to". --me
Old 02-16-09, 10:16 PM
Forum Guru

Logic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to all

I have a tactile sensitivity thing going on, I can't have anything touching my forearms, I have to roll up the sleeves on my shirts and hoodies, and catch myself rubbing or itching my arms when Its cold out and I've had to put on a long sleeved coat or jacket.
I find it difficult to even wear a watch, unless it's a good heavy one, in which case I seem not to mind as much.

As for bedding, I find it's not a softness thing with me, it's definitely more to do with the weight of it. Thin little sheets and blankets don't cut it for me, I can't sleep feeling like I'll float away all night!
At the moment, I've got heavy cotton sheets, a winter duvet, and a weighted blanket (25lb) thrown on top. It's the only way I can sleep properly, it's a reassuring feeling for some reason having a little weight 'securing' me in bed.
I also can't wear night-clothes in bed, I've insisted on being naked in bed since I was a toddler.
Old 02-16-09, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
I also can't wear night-clothes in bed, I've insisted on being naked in bed since I was a toddler.
Same here! I can't deal with pajamas.
The Following User Says Thank You to trashion For This Useful Post:
sighduck (01-20-11)
Old 02-17-09, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashion View Post
Same here! I can't deal with pajamas.
The closest I get to pajamas is sweats. Pajamas don't work for me either.

Old 02-17-09, 02:34 PM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

anything fleece...heavenly
Old 02-17-09, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

justcallmedorie has a spectacular aura aboutjustcallmedorie has a spectacular aura about

In the stores, I see things that look soft and touchable and I.Must.Touch.Them! I'm as bad for "ooooh, soft" as I am for "ooooh, shiny"! Oh, and I like exclamation points-LOL.
Old 02-17-09, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

qhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmedorie View Post
In the stores, I see things that look soft and touchable and I.Must.Touch.Them! I'm as bad for "ooooh, soft" as I am for "ooooh, shiny"! Oh, and I like exclamation points-LOL.
Oh yes! I'm the one walking through the clothes store touching everything in sight.

And if it's soft, I'm stuck there. Have to look at the price tag. lol
School is a society sanctioned torture system designed to rob people of their sanity and to give them a falsely inflated ego upon completion where one gets a piece of paper saying "I sat on my rear in crowded classrooms for x years and only spit up what they told me to". --me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qhcowgirl For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-17-09), yellowflowers (09-15-12)
Old 02-17-09, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhcowgirl View Post
Oh yes! I'm the one walking through the clothes store touching everything in sight.

And if it's soft, I'm stuck there. Have to look at the price tag. lol
Cashmere. I can't go near a store that has cashmere on display. I'm lost.

My mom taught me to sew and touching the fabric is an important part of that. Looking at the drape and feeling the "hand" tells you if a fabric can be used for a pattern. You want to safely play with soft things? Go to a fabric store.

I can only go to a bead store if I have a responsible adult with me. Thank God my partner indulges me!

The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
yellowflowers (09-15-12)
Old 02-17-09, 05:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDTigger View Post
Cashmere. I can't go near a store that has cashmere on display. I'm lost.

My mom taught me to sew and touching the fabric is an important part of that. Looking at the drape and feeling the "hand" tells you if a fabric can be used for a pattern. You want to safely play with soft things? Go to a fabric store.

I can only go to a bead store if I have a responsible adult with me. Thank God my partner indulges me!

You sew too? So do I! lol

Except fabric stores often drive me nuts! At least the ones I go have little quality fabric. Either I don't like the pattern, it's too expensive, or it just doesn't FEEL right!

There's nothing like sewing with good quality fabric! Or wearing good fabric. Soooo soft.