ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-10, 06:23 AM

curiosity721 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone else really, really into soft fabrics?

I'm into any fabric with lent on it. When I was younger I'd rub the shirt or cover and suck mmy thumb. I don't know why ;D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curiosity721 For This Useful Post:
447dbe (07-08-11), Kay. (07-30-10)
Old 02-12-10, 06:23 AM

Thanked 34,235 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i love soft fabric! it has to be a natural fabric, though, like cotton or angora or something; synthetic fabrics creep me out.

as much as i love soft bedding and clothes, anything frilly or dangly makes me shudder. i may be one of very, very few women who has never worn or owned jewelry. things made out of little clusters of stuff, like beads and those dangly earrings/necklaces/etc also freak me out, although i have no idea why.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-12-10), Imnapl (09-25-10)
Old 02-12-10, 08:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Re-reading this thread reminds me again why I love this place. It is so nice to feel so NORMAL!

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
danelady (07-31-10), Imnapl (09-25-10), peripatetic (02-12-10), yellowflowers (09-15-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-10, 04:37 PM
Contributor

brain chatter is on a distinguished road

satin sheets, and under armour shirts, cept when you 1st put on...a little snug but the feel takes the distraction away.

when i do buy clothes i touch everything thoroughly and go from there..not soft, not bought
Old 03-08-10, 12:46 AM

AngelNicki is on a distinguished road

I am! When I was a kid and my mom would take me in the store, I was always reaching out to touch all of the clothes that looked soft. Actually I STILL do that! I love soft blankets, soft sweatshirts, soft stuffed animals, soft real animals, etc!
Old 06-06-10, 04:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

Same here. I have sheets made out of the pajama material. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO soft. I wash my blankets until they are soft.
I also like the memory foam. Not the feel of it, but just squishing it. I have a pillow made of memory foam. I also can't ware long sleeved shirts. Grass on my feet, makes me shudder.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Old 06-06-10, 05:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I hate slithery material too. I have a very pretty dress made out of polyester but I won't wear it cause it's polyester and it's got BUTTONS! I hate buttons. Cannot stand them. I won't wear shirts with buttons. I only wear them if they are really really cute though I'll be uncomfortable the rest of the day. Buttons gape and leave little holes and you have many areas of rub on your skin from the buttons. I don't know how to explain but I don't like buttoned shirts or dresses next to my skin.

I also don't like tucking in anything . I don't like anything that touches or digs into my belly and dislike belts which is unfortunate because due to my body shape, trousers and jeans are always gigantic around my waist. My sister and mother call me buttcrack, as my trousers often sag down... my response is to wear cuter underwear.. yes I know, I know.
It's better these days as trousers are not so low riding but a few years ago, oy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marspider For This Useful Post:
manismom (09-25-10)
Old 06-06-10, 06:59 PM

Thanked 26,996 Times in 12,597 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I missed this wonderful thread the first time round so Thank You for bumping it. I definately belong to this club. All those years of wearing stiff bras with non-stretch straps that constantly slid off my round shoulders! And then - they were replaced with synthetic stretch material - holy crap the years of rashes I endured from those. I totally love sports bras - all cotton but soft and stretchy with wonderful wide stretch straps that stay in place! Yeah, they're "white gramma bras" but they're soooo comfortable.

I wear mostly soft cotton t-shirts and jeans or jean shorts. My mother sewed too and I wore polyester stretch pants with elastic waists for more years than I want to remember (fortunately I have sucky memory).

And ditto on the sheets. My favorites are the nice smooth cotton sheets and I haunt yard sales and thrift stores for ones that have been washed many times so they're even softer. Of course I have to wash them another 5 or 6 times to get rid of the left-over fabric softener smell in them, gosh that stuff lingers forever.

In the summer I want a light sheet on the bed, nothing more, sometimes I kick it off and then later on when the temperature cools off I pull it up with just my feet sticking out the side. I cannot sleep on those cheap combination polyester-cotton sheets from the discount store. They make my skin itch. *shudders*

But I can't sleep on any sheet that is wrinkled. Nice clean sheets that haven't gotten wrinkled promote the most comfortable sleep for me.

Nylon isn't like those synthetic stretch pants - I have to wear a nylon gown to sleep in. I have back problems and those let me slide around in the bed instead of sticking and dragging and getting all wrinkled around me (more wrinkles = bad!) But if I sleep nakie then all I can feel are the wrinkles in the sheet and I can't get out of bed because I can't slide over to the edge.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-30-10, 04:37 AM

Kay. will become famous soon enough

Definitely me too! I also find I always pick? at things. Like the corners of pillows especially when I was younger. And I also sucked my thumb and touch/rub the soft fabrics (Baby blanket especially), and I find I still do this if I'm incredibly stressed and not thinking about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kay. For This Useful Post:
447dbe (07-08-11)
Old 07-30-10, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

This is the exact reason why I didn't ware jeanes for about 6 years. They are softer now.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Old 07-30-10, 09:49 PM

Thanked 11,538 Times in 6,098 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Yes sweats and a soft cool sheet or blanket helps me fall asleep,the dog pawing my arm w his soft paw use to make me fall asleep too.
Old 07-31-10, 02:00 AM

Thanked 6,536 Times in 2,663 Posts
danelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of something my son used to do till he was around 4. He used to hold the satin edge of his banky between his fingers and just play with it,eventually falling asleep.

I know that I CANNOT sleep with anything covering my feet. It might be frigid out but I like my feet to be free and unencumbered.
Old 07-31-10, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

I still only actually own one pair of jeans (that fit).

Old 07-31-10, 03:43 PM

Thanked 8,349 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter what the bedding is made out of ....I'll have it all on the floor by morning.....I have to baste my sheets and blankets to the end of the bed if I want to keep them on .....even with stretchy corners on the bottom sheets......

I'm not sure what on earth I do in my sleep,.... fight dragons ? long distance running ?? but my bedding takes a beating ......

and my senses of touch is big with furniture too, I owned an antique shop and my furniture had to be silky to the touch, something about wood furniture makes me want to run my hand over it, and it should feel like glass.......very tactile....

...but it's the fabrics, all about the fabrics......several years ago, when I lived in LA, I found the area where they made clothes, and their dumpsters were always full of the most wonderful fabrics......a lot of the time it was just scraps from the cutting out process, but if you were digilant, you could find the end pieces......and they could be a couple of yards of the stuff, and sometimes, I'd get huge pieces, one such place was always throwing out stretch terry cloth and challis, wonderful soft beautifully draping challis, in soft colors......and they tossed pieces out that were huge ....60 inches wide ( standard for factory fabric) and I even got a 40 yard long piece one day ......( they made those lined, hooded, pocketed, belted robes for spas, I saw won at a thrift shop one day with the price tag still on it ,........$125 !!)

........then there was the sweater place, sweater fabric of all weights and types, some with gold thread running through it.....and you could cut it like regular fabric and it wouldn't unravel.....sigh .....the stuff comes already with the ribbed ends in it, and different lengths, like for short sleeves and long bodies and such, and all the fold over braid to match .......

......I had enough fabric to literally fill a 2 car garage floor to ceiling with yards of these great fabrics, all 60 inches wide, all high quality fabric that you can never buy in stores, packed into banana boxes ............I go to fabric stores now and ...well, the quality just isn't there, and the types and styles are just lame .........

....what I would give just to have a small portion of that fabric now !

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 09-25-10, 11:59 AM
Contributor

manismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of light

Wow. To feel normal about this. sigh

As I type, I have a canvas purse that I bought at a yard sale that I touch and touch and touch. It has become the latest in a long, long line of "woobie"s.

I do this all the time. Sheets have to be 100% cotton, high thread count, and just the slightest bit fuzzy. I touch/rub them as I am falling asleep. I touch/rub them as I am waking up. I talk myself into getting out of bed by reminding myself that my "woobie" is waiting and I can touch that.

I have started to bring "woobie" with me wherever I go. I touch it so much that Husband says I look like I have a bomb in it (cuz I am snuggling and keeping it close). I have been carrying a new purse, but I just can't quit you, "woobie".

I am 39 years old!

My daughter had a "special blankie" that was made of satin. She would pinch it, and rub it with and against the grain (I used to do this too!) as she was falling asleep or whenever she was stressed.

Other daughter (5 yrs old) literally cannot stop herself from touching clothing, stuffed animals, anything that looks soft. She is under-responsive to touch and proprioception. For those who don't know, proprioception is the sense that tells you where your body is in space (with your eyes closed, can you tell where your arm is without moving it?). She likes to be covered with heavy blankets when she sleeps and has used a weighted blanket to help with concentration.

It makes sense that some here have said they need a heavy blanket to sleep, since we are talking sensory issues here and heavy blankets are used all the time for sensory issues. They help those with proprioception problems tell more easliy where their bodies are in space.

Check out "The Out of Sync Child" for more info about sensory issues like these!