ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-19-09, 07:51 PM

bikeguy1030 is on a distinguished road
Need some advice on asking doctor to switch to adderall

I went to a psychiatrist about 2 months ago for anger issues. After 2 sessions he concluded i was depressed and put me on wellbutrin. After 2 weeks i asked him about add medecine and he said give it another 2 weeks to see how the wellbutrin works. He also asked me if i had tried any of my friends add medecine and i said no and just played dumb. I had a appointment today after being on wellbutrin for 4 weeks. I told him the symptoms im having that make me think i have add (im a hands on learner, cant focus on lectures, have trouble absoarbing material reading, and impulsively say stuff without thinking about it). He wrote me a script for 18mg concerta and said take 1 the first day 2 the 2nd day and 3 the 3rd day to see what works best. He asked me again if i had taken add medecine before and i said no again and he said some stuff about people abusing it.
I have taken both ritalin and adderall once each. The ritalin didnt really do anything (i do not remember the dose) but the adderall which was 20mg xr made me motivated, sociable, got rid of my anxiety and made me able to focus.
Well i took 2 of the concerta today and it lasted about 8 hours and made me feel like a zombie. I was not sociable and had trouble paying attention in class when the teacher was talking. It did help a lot with homework, i was able to sit down and focus for a solid 2 hours to get my work done.
My question is how do i ask him to switch to adderall? I don't want him to think I am abusing it or anything... he seemed a little suspisious when i initially asked him but not so much today when i was explaining my symptoms.
Im 18 years old if it matters at all.

thanks
Old 02-19-09, 09:57 PM
Contributor

Scarletta has a spectacular aura aboutScarletta has a spectacular aura about
Re: Need some advice on asking doctor to switch to adderall

Just say the Concerta is not working for you, that extended release meds aren't for you, and that you've been doing a lot of research about ADD. Wondering if there isn't a different type of drug you can take? He'll switch you to Adderall, probably (and I'd get the short acting ones) because Concerta is basically Ritalin. I wouldn't say I WANT to try Adderall, since there's also Vyvanse and Strattera, but they are long acting, so just say the long acting makes you feel like a zombie.

BTW, not to lecture but you should have told him that yes you'd been on those drugs before. That way you could say that since you've been on both ritalin and Adderall, you know Adderall works for you.

Did you not have a prescription before?
Old 02-20-09, 12:50 AM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

Building a relationship of trust with your doctor is key to having any kind input on treatment.

Vyvanse is the least abusable amphetamine so you may consider inquiring about that vs adderall.

BobC
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-09, 06:14 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just tell your doctor what you just said about the Concerta. That it makes you feel like a zombie, you become irritable, unsociable, but it helps you sit down and do your studies.

You shouldn't have to ask directly for what med you want. The only thing is if he/she suggests Straterra, say that you know a lot of people who haven't had success with it, which is true.

Be careful between Adderall XR and Vyvanse (and Dex). They are both long lasting (Vyv = 12 hours and Adderall = 10 hours) and there is a consensus on these forums through theories and science studies that amphetamines are less safe than methylphenidate for your brain. Though, it is not necessarily proven.

Also, amphetamines have a half-life of 10-12 hours in general (without a specified extended release mechanism) and methylphendiate is only 3-4 hours (without an extended release mechanism). So, the amphetamines will be in your system longer, if not all day, all the time. They're also more likely to keep you up at night and interfere with sleep quality. But, a lot of people find good in amphetamines anyway. It all depends on your own body chemistry.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm just saying with my experience (I have tried: Conc, Add, Vyv, and Rit) that, at least with the Vyv 60mg (which worked great like you said with social anxiety, motivation, dedication, etc.), when I was on Vyv for a month at a time, one night I had a mental breakdown. My doc seems to think it was from the Vyv interfering with my sleep cycle without me knowing it even though i was getting 6-9 hours of sleep a night. The breakdown effect lingered for a week until the Vyv was totally out of my system. Truly the worst experience of my life.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

...and never lie to your doctor
HiddenHermit (04-19-11)