ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-01-09, 09:21 PM

tarabeatty is on a distinguished road
Miserable of Vyvanse but should I give up?

This is my first post. I have been diagnosed with ADD for some 20 years now, and way back then tried Ritalin in high school, but I've been off all ADD meds ever since. Tried every kind of antidepressant though over the years, to no avail. Tried to do everything I can to control my environment and deal with my ADD but things are getting far worse, to the point where I did not want to even live anymore. It got that bad where I was plotting my demise.

So I went to a shrink to ask for some medicine. I really wanted him to prescribe Adderal because I have a friend who had really good results, plus I read many posts where people feel it literally saved thier lives, controlled the ADD and the depression, so I thought this would be right for me. But I decided that rather than asking, I'd let him come up with his own conclusion. He prescribed 30 mg Vyvanse, and I was like "what the heck is this". And "why is this better than Adderal?" He explained it's supposed to be smoother coming and going, no crash (not true) and plus it's going to NOT have a generic for a long time (he said never take generics - not the same) so my insurance copay will stay low. I read some reviews and had some concerns, but many had good results so I took it. Started 8 days ago.

Well, I've had maybe 2 "good" days, the first day, and maybe the fourth day, but miserable otherwise. Took one day off the third day, and felt like I had a night of heavy drinking and smoking (I did neither) and hungover all day. A "good" day meant that I felt more motivated, spoke up at meetings at work and maybe even made sense. At least I think I was good in the meetings; maybe other people thought I was a nut. Who knows. Took alot of notes and got stuff done though on the few "good" days. Talked alot and less inhibited and distracted; I'm normally so distracted having a conversation that I have a hard time following. But the bad parts are the tightness in chest, anxiety, the first few days I could not sleep at night but luckily that's subsided as long as I wake up to take it at 6am. Feeling at my wits end. No patience for husband. Annoyed by crowds, and ramped up at people at work. I am also becoming extremely forgetful and stupid, having to THINK about things that are routine normally. Put frozen food in the closet, forgot what order I get ready in the morning and where my stuff is. At this point, 8 days later it's not getting better. Crushing anxiety comes on about three hours in, and stays until about the seventh hour, and then I just feel depressed when I guess it wears off.

I am trying to figure out if there are ways to eat things to make it work better, and tried a few different things like adding protein, eating MORE for breakfast, buying protein shakes for during the day. Still kind of miserable. I went into this depressed, but even when I have more energy and less lethargic, I think I am even MORE depressed than before.

So I hear from lots of posts that this might get better if i stick with it and maybe the negative side effects will subside? I have been reading posts nonstop for the past 8 days. Sounds like many people think this med is great for a few weeks and then it becomes awful. Therefore I thought that after a few weeks of "awful" maybe it will become great? Thoughts please?

Also, if this turns out not to work for me, would you think that ALL amphetamines are NOT going to work?

I called my doctor and told him my issues, said it's helping with some focus and motivation, but it seems to let all the meds out early on and during that period of time, it causes racing and anxiety. So he said OK just STOP taking it and we'll start some Concerta or Focalin. i said I just want the INSTANT release so I can regulate it. I know Vyvanse does not come in instant, but there is Dexedrine. He said if Vyvanse does not work, it means that none of this class of meds will work. From what I am reading that is totally not true.

Can anyone advise me on this or tell me your experience? anyone start off rough with Vyvanse and then have it become great? Anyone think there is any truth to if Vyvanse does not work, then i should give up and go to a Ritalin-based med rather than trying something in this class, like an instant release?

Sorry this is incredibly long. I will not be so long next time.
Old 08-02-09, 03:21 PM

person2person is on a distinguished road
Re: Miserable of Vyvanse but should I give up?

hey i read your other post too.

vyvanse is a pro-drug that converts to dextroamphetamine.

this is a good thing because it means that your body absorbs it all quickly, then your liver slowly converts it into the active drug, dextroamphetamine at a steady rate, so the time-release properties are unaffected by what you ate or the pH of your stomach or other factors.

this makes it a more consistent and smoother acting, long lasting form of dextroamphetamine, the primary ingredient in adderall (~75% dextroamphetamine), and the only ingredient in dexedrine.

i highly doubt a switch from the lowest dosage of vyvanse (30mg) to an instant release formulation will alleviate the anxiety it's causing you, but amphetamines can be funny sometimes so i will admit that it's not always the obvious answer that is the correct one for every person.

Quote:
A "good" day meant that I felt more motivated, spoke up at meetings at work and maybe even made sense. At least I think I was good in the meetings; maybe other people thought I was a nut. Who knows. Took alot of notes and got stuff done though on the few "good" days. Talked alot and less inhibited and distracted; I'm normally so distracted having a conversation that I have a hard time following. But the bad parts are the tightness in chest, anxiety, the first few days I could not sleep at night but luckily that's subsided as long as I wake up to take it at 6am. Feeling at my wits end. No patience for husband. Annoyed by crowds, and ramped up at people at work. I am also becoming extremely forgetful and stupid, having to THINK about things that are routine normally. Put frozen food in the closet, forgot what order I get ready in the morning and where my stuff is. At this point, 8 days later it's not getting better. Crushing anxiety comes on about three hours in, and stays until about the seventh hour, and then I just feel depressed when I guess it wears off.
you did have some very positive results it sounds like on the "good" days. i take IR dextroamphetamine, i can relate to a lot of those symptoms. sometimes i feel like a "dick" when i take it, it doesn't usually affect the way that I act however, just the way that I feel. I also notice that I have to think about things twice, double check them, and I will do stupid things like go the fridge when i'm looking for my car keys.

the big thing for me is the lack of smooth delivery, i am considering switching to vyvanse for the very symptoms you describe, also considering the inferior quality of IR dextroamphetamine (only barr generic is available in u.s.)

like i said in response to your other thread, try taking half a dose. if that doesn't work for you, you need to try a different medication. doctors like to think they know and understand everything, and that there are simple rules for how medications are supposed to and not supposed to work, ADHD is a complex disorder. i'd say the average patient tries at least 2-3 different ADHD meds before they find the one that works the best for them with the fewest side effects.

good luck!

and be open minded about different medications, sometimes you have it set in your mind that "adderall" is going to be just right for you after doing a little research and hearing what other people have said about it... you might be a much better responder to methylphenidate or dexmethylphenidate (focalin). adderall might be just right for you... some people benefit from the addition of levoamphetamine in adderall... it's just going to be trial and error til you get it right.

in the mean time, just be patient and understand that a lot of people go through similar experiences trying to find the right meds, don't place too much importance on the ups and downs and side effects of the drug, just try to focus on your work and look at things objectively.

there is also wellbutrin, strattera, tricyclics, provigil... all moderately effective.

at the end of the day it's always a trade off, dextroamphetamine may be smoother than adderall, but people often feel groggy, fuzzy (putting car keys in the freezer), or tired on it, with headaches or other issues and a big crash, adderall is great for intense focus, concentration and energy, but also tends to make people edgy, tends to have less of a "crash" than dextoamphetamine and it gives some people big mood swings. methylphenidate has its trade offs, they all do.

you just have to figure out which ones you're willing to deal with. also remember what you want to get out of treatment and that will make it easier to get where you want to be.

sorry this is a long post, but lastly, try the focalin. if you're open minded with your Dr. upfront, he'll be a lot more likely to be open minded about what you have to say. i've heard a lot of good things about focalin over racemic methylphenidate (ritalin)...

i re-read your post again because your story reminds me a lot of mine. your side effects from medication are similar to mine as well. i hope you keep your head up, you can make it better... having control over your life and actually completing things you set out to do will give you a greater sense of well-being than any drug can... i've dealt with depression and anxiety for years, i too took ritalin in grade school and middle school, but i always hated it even though i was a lot better student... after i refused to take it anymore i got by on my intelligence, it allowed me to pull things out at the last minute, but i never lived up to my potential...

i sometimes hate taking meds now but the "juice is worth the squeeze." we all have compromises to make in life... just take some time to be proud of whatever it is you've been doing well lately. I notice that I groom myself better, i get more compliments on the way I dress, my hairstyle, i don't waste as much money, i drink MUCH less (which will coincidentally drastically reduce the side effects of your medication over time) i've quit smoking, I shave every day now (i used to just be scruffy 24/7), and most importantly i get A's in my classes now, high A's. I think i used to tell myself that being ADHD made me cool or unique or whatever, and maybe for a while it did... but in the long run it just made my life much more difficult, left me depressed and anxious. i am more responsible with my finances, i dont feel guilty about all the time I used to waste, i dont feel guilty about all of the impulsive decisions, the indecisiveness which led me down paths i didn't want to go... and at the end of the day, i'm still the same person, i just have more control over who I am and how I act when i take my medication, instead of just reacting to my environment...
Old 08-08-09, 08:59 PM

ryanchappell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabeatty View Post
I really wanted him to prescribe Adderal because I have a friend who had really good results, plus I read many posts where people feel it literally saved thier lives, controlled the ADD and the depression, so I thought this would be right for me. But I decided that rather than asking, I'd let him come up with his own conclusion. He prescribed 30 mg Vyvanse, and I was like "what the heck is this". And "why is this better than Adderal?" He explained it's supposed to be smoother coming and going, no crash (not true) and plus it's going to NOT have a generic for a long time (he said never take generics - not the same) so my insurance copay will stay low. I read some reviews and had some concerns, but many had good results so I took it. Started 8 days ago.

Well, I've had maybe 2 "good" days, the first day, and maybe the fourth day, but miserable otherwise. Took one day off the third day, and felt like I had a night of heavy drinking and smoking (I did neither) and hungover all day. A "good" day meant that I felt more motivated, spoke up at meetings at work and maybe even made sense. At least I think I was good in the meetings; maybe other people thought I was a nut. Who knows.
I started Vyvanse in June. My first week was like your's, 30mg except the good days were the first two, then it made me really tired the rest of the week. Very disappointing. It is very common to start with half a dose the first week to get you used to it.

The second week I was prescribed 60mg per day. This drastically improved things. I have no co-morbid effects, ei depression or anxiety. The 3rd week I started crashing at noon instead of the usual 3pm. It never lasted more than 4-6 hrs for me. I thought these were moderately bad crashes, until the following month I was prescribed 10/20mg Adderall, and the pharmacy slipped me the generic adderall. (dex/amph mix) I started getting side effects, bad insomnia, probably more from its harshness than the higher daily stimulant consumption. I want to try Vyvanse with Nuvigil (tiredness is my biggest problem), or a smaller afternoon dose (30mg) of Vyvanse that I tried today, splitting the powder up, so far so good. I like Vyvanse better for its smoothness, but I am comparing it to generic.

My point to you is, maybe 30mg is not enough, but more would aggravate your anxiety. From reading the forum, it is common to combine it with welbutin. Are you no longer on anti-depressants? Like I said I don't have depression. My family doctor put me on Celexa, and it made me extremely tired, but combined with stimulants, it could balance out your anxiety and depression!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-09, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanchappell View Post

My point to you is, maybe 30mg is not enough, but more would aggravate your anxiety. From reading the forum, it is common to combine it with welbutin. Are you no longer on anti-depressants? Like I said I don't have depression. My family doctor put me on Celexa, and it made me extremely tired, but combined with stimulants, it could balance out your anxiety and depression!
I have a bottle of Wellbutrin in my cabinet. Maybe if I get desperate I'll try to add that. I was put on Wellbutrin a year ago because of depression, but other than mild anxiety, its effects were barely detectable, so I figured, why bother.

Over the years I have been on every antidepressant I can think of, and nothing has ever worked. Usually I don't notice any difference at all, besides side effects. Figured I have treatment resistant depression (which is often result of years of untreated ADD) so that brings me to the ADD meds as last resort. But maybe the combo is what will work. Who knows? Ready to try anything!
Old 08-17-09, 12:33 AM

Unhappy Re: Miserable on Vyvanse but should I give up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by person2person View Post
at the end of the day it's always a trade off, dextroamphetamine may be smoother than adderall, but people often feel groggy, fuzzy (putting car keys in the freezer), or tired on it, with headaches or other issues and a big crash, adderall is great for intense focus, concentration and energy, but also tends to make people edgy, tends to have less of a "crash" than dextoamphetamine and it gives some people big mood swings. methylphenidate has its trade offs, they all do.
person2person,

Hey I came back to your reply because I remembered you telling me something like this. I am now through my second day on Dexedrine Spansule, and I have all the issues you describe above. I felt what seemed like it was starting to work, like a low hum of what Vyvanse would start up like, but then downhill! Foggy, tired, down. Also cried all day (not like me) uncontrollably, worrying about the future, hopeless, hoping for my demise again... Trying to convince my husband to leave me because I am not good enough and will ruin his life if he stays with me, because he deserves better... the whole 9 yards. I am usually not quite this self loathing.

Usually I am scrambling to get out the door to hit some hiking trails on a Sunday, but today I dragged myself out, thinking that maybe the sun and fresh air would do me good, and no matter how beautiful a day, I could not do much more than drag myself along and then sit and think about how life sucks; every step was a chore. At least I didn't have "mood swings" because I was just down all day. Of course, until about 5pm when it must have wore off and then I was semi-okay.

Yesterday was the first day on Dex, and it was low but not horrible like today. Just like as if I had not taken anything. I could not do anything active though, which is not like me.

I said in previous posts last week that I tried the Vyvanse with Wellbutrin and it gave it a new lease on life after it stopped working at the 30mg, and I had a pretty decent week the days I took the Vyvanse with Wellbutrin, but now that I started the Dex, I wanted to see how it was without the benefit of Wellbutrin.

So, if Vyvanse metabolizes into Dex, I wonder why the depressing effects of plain old Dex are so much more pronounced??? I don't think it's a "crash" because it never got going to begin with! It's like taking xanax or something and I hate that stuff.

Not sure what to do now, because if I call the Dr and tell him this, he'll really think I'm nuts. Plus I just got a full fill of Dex Spansule three days ago (even paid for Brand to ensure it's the good stuff), and I have a week left of Vyvanse. Maybe I'll try Adderall -- I could use some intense focus and energy, as long as it does not give me anxiety attacks or cause me to bite people's heads off (which i do naturally, so don't need to worsen). Eventually I might be back to the Vyvanse because the best week I had was the third week with the Vyvanse and Wellbutrin combo.

Not sure what to do with this Dex now. I might come crawling back to Vyvanse soon. Monday is probably going to suck on this stuff but I'm wondering if I should keep at it to give it a chance... maybe i have to get used to it?
Old 08-17-09, 07:18 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

pure dex, including Vyvanse gave me harder crashes than regular adderall, also i noticed harder crashes with any extended release, including XR.
am back to just regular Adderall IR and is lot better....Vyvanse did the same thing to me that you guys, it was a mess
Old 08-18-09, 10:47 PM

I am thinking there is a distinct possibility that the grass is greener with Vyvanse than Dex Spansule.
Old 08-20-09, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I am thinking there is a distinct possibility that the grass is greener with Vyvanse than Dex Spansule.
I guess I should have been more specific in my reasons for liking Vyvanse. The let down is worse. Even on Vyvanse my symptoms and fatigue become much worse than not taking anything when the medicine wears off, but it is worse on my generic adderall IR(75% dex)

If vyvanse and welbutrin stop working in 6-18 months. Try taking a multi-week break and starting back. Just an idea ahead of time!
Old 08-26-09, 10:19 PM

Dispatches has a spectacular aura aboutDispatches has a spectacular aura about

I read your thread and PM'd you with an update like I told you I would. It might be too late tho. Sorry

Check your Private Messages.
Old 08-27-09, 05:52 PM

z71squattin06 is on a distinguished road

I skipped over all the other posts so I don't know what everyone else told you, but I'll give you my experience.

I am prescribed Vyvanse (2x50mg/day) as well as Adderall 30mg - for days that I do not want to be "in the zone" all day.

I took Vyvanse last school year and noticed a lot about its effects, but now that I haven't taken it in a while, this first week of school has been a wreck. But I'm going to continue taking it because I know that this is just like every other drug - our bodies build tolerances while we also learn how to control ourselves again.

Lack of sleep has probably contributed the most to your disappointment with Vyvanse. After taking it monday, I went to school Tuedsay on 2 hours of sleep. Wednesday I got 4 hours of sleep, and last night I managed 5 hours of sleep. Missing out on too much sleep over a period of time makes me feel terrible and sometimes hallucinate. Being back on this drug literally had me thinking last night that I've managed to develope pretty severe mental disorders.

Fortunately, when I woke up this morning I realized that I am finally getting a lot closer to being normal again.

My doctor once told me that, after a while of not taking Vyvanse, it would be helpful to slowly increase my dosage back to full strength. If you haven't tried that already I would encourage you to try that (because I sure will next time so this doesn't happen again).
Old 08-28-09, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71squattin06 View Post
I skipped over all the other posts so I don't know what everyone else told you, but I'll give you my experience.

I am prescribed Vyvanse (2x50mg/day) as well as Adderall 30mg - for days that I do not want to be "in the zone" all day.

I took Vyvanse last school year and noticed a lot about its effects, but now that I haven't taken it in a while, this first week of school has been a wreck. But I'm going to continue taking it because I know that this is just like every other drug - our bodies build tolerances while we also learn how to control ourselves again.

Lack of sleep has probably contributed the most to your disappointment with Vyvanse. After taking it monday, I went to school Tuedsay on 2 hours of sleep. Wednesday I got 4 hours of sleep, and last night I managed 5 hours of sleep. Missing out on too much sleep over a period of time makes me feel terrible and sometimes hallucinate. Being back on this drug literally had me thinking last night that I've managed to develope pretty severe mental disorders.

Fortunately, when I woke up this morning I realized that I am finally getting a lot closer to being normal again.

My doctor once told me that, after a while of not taking Vyvanse, it would be helpful to slowly increase my dosage back to full strength. If you haven't tried that already I would encourage you to try that (because I sure will next time so this doesn't happen again).
Have you tried not taking it for a month, like over the summer etc, and starting back?

Your dose seems really high, but not unheard of. Lowest effective dose is best. I would think taking too much would build a worse tolerance. If it ever becomes that ineffective would take a vacation form it and start back on a lower dose. Trying to stay at the lowest effective dose for concentration not euphoria.
Old 08-29-09, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatches View Post
I read your thread and PM'd you with an update like I told you I would. It might be too late tho. Sorry

Check your Private Messages.
Hi Dispatches. I did read your message and it is not too late. I am here. I have just been too tired and stressed out to do much of anything but I will respond, probably this weekend.

As for the Vyvanse, I am going on my third med now so I'm running through different options to see what's best and then settle on something that works, hopefully.

I've been on Dexedrine Spansule 10mg 2x per day for a few weeks and it must have been a very low dose because it seemed WAY weaker than the Vyvanse, and my dose of Dex was supposed to be an increase comparatively. I can't do my usual activities, and just want to lay around on the couch. NOT like me, because I usually can't sit still, I mean, in a good way; I'm very active outdoors, but no longer.

So I was faced with another decision, to either increase the Dex or switch to Adderall. I picked up the Adderall today, so I'll be trying that tomorrow. Knowing that I'll be switching, I had a few days to experiment with the Dex dosage. Figured I'd see if it would have worked at higher dose, so i took an extra half yesterday in the AM (skipped the Wellbutrin) and it worked great! I thought, darn, maybe that's all I needed rather than a switch. Then I did the same thing today, and NOTHING. Even took an extra half in the afternoon, and still NOTHING. As someone else pointed out, maybe sleep is the difference. Last night I got lousy sleep but the night before it was pretty good.

Well tomorrow I will try the Adderall. I have no idea what to expect from that because so far Dex and Vyvanse are the same active ingredient, but Adderall has that Levo component and that's different; from what I've read on these boards it could go either way. Hopefully I will not become a raving lunatic tomorrow! At least it's the weekend so there's less risk of people witnessing it.

Interestingly, the doctor said I seemed great when I came into his office on the Dex. I also noticed I didn't do my usual request of asking him to turn the flourescent light off which normally I can't tolerate. He said he initially didn't want to prescribe Dex because I seemed terrible on the Vyvanse and he was sure the Dex would not be an improvement (why did he prescribe it then? No idea) but he thought I was just great and very focused. I said well I FEEL awful and lethargic, but I'm glad I sound like I've got it together. I thought this was interesting. Maybe he is right that I was better on the Dex outwardly, but I would like something that does not make me incapable of doing anything and feeling tired and like crap.

Similar to the Vyvanse, the Dex is making me do stupid things like put freezer items in the closet. I almost did it again this morning but I caught myself. Hopefully I'll be less stupid on the Adderall since it contains the component that works on concentration more. We'll see.
Old 08-29-09, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Hi Dispatches. I did read your message and it is not too late. I am here. I have just been too tired and stressed out to do much of anything but I will respond, probably this weekend.

As for the Vyvanse, I am going on my third med now so I'm running through different options to see what's best and then settle on something that works, hopefully.

I've been on Dexedrine Spansule 10mg 2x per day for a few weeks and it must have been a very low dose because it seemed WAY weaker than the Vyvanse, and my dose of Dex was supposed to be an increase comparatively. I can't do my usual activities, and just want to lay around on the couch. NOT like me, because I usually can't sit still, I mean, in a good way; I'm very active outdoors, but no longer.

So I was faced with another decision, to either increase the Dex or switch to Adderall. I picked up the Adderall today, so I'll be trying that tomorrow. Knowing that I'll be switching, I had a few days to experiment with the Dex dosage. Figured I'd see if it would have worked at higher dose, so i took an extra half yesterday in the AM (skipped the Wellbutrin) and it worked great! I thought, darn, maybe that's all I needed rather than a switch. Then I did the same thing today, and NOTHING. Even took an extra half in the afternoon, and still NOTHING. As someone else pointed out, maybe sleep is the difference. Last night I got lousy sleep but the night before it was pretty good.

Well tomorrow I will try the Adderall. I have no idea what to expect from that because so far Dex and Vyvanse are the same active ingredient, but Adderall has that Levo component and that's different; from what I've read on these boards it could go either way. Hopefully I will not become a raving lunatic tomorrow! At least it's the weekend so there's less risk of people witnessing it.

Interestingly, the doctor said I seemed great when I came into his office on the Dex. I also noticed I didn't do my usual request of asking him to turn the flourescent light off which normally I can't tolerate. He said he initially didn't want to prescribe Dex because I seemed terrible on the Vyvanse and he was sure the Dex would not be an improvement (why did he prescribe it then? No idea) but he thought I was just great and very focused. I said well I FEEL awful and lethargic, but I'm glad I sound like I've got it together. I thought this was interesting. Maybe he is right that I was better on the Dex outwardly, but I would like something that does not make me incapable of doing anything and feeling tired and like crap.

Similar to the Vyvanse, the Dex is making me do stupid things like put freezer items in the closet. I almost did it again this morning but I caught myself. Hopefully I'll be less stupid on the Adderall since it contains the component that works on concentration more. We'll see.
Is there any reason why you don't just take Welbutrin and Vyvanse? That is what I would do if I were you? You know it works. Just go over it with your doctor, make it an official treatment, and stick to it.

You are wasting weeks. You don't really know if Vyvanse works or not, because he was not giving you enough Vyvanse for you to say it doesn't work. 30mg would make me worse too!

Welburtrin helps your ADHD, mood, and anxiety, and lowers the effective dose enough to where the measly 30mg of Vyvanse is enough, which prevents raising your vyvanse dose and risking increased anxiety.

Sorry for the bluntness. Of course I am not a doctor and could be wrong. I did stay at Holiday Inn Expresses for a while, so what the heck!
Old 09-01-09, 10:10 PM
Jr Member

toopunkrawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a bottle of Wellbutrin in my cabinet. Maybe if I get desperate I'll try to add that. I was put on Wellbutrin a year ago because of depression, but other than mild anxiety, its effects were barely detectable, so I figured, why bother.

Over the years I have been on every antidepressant I can think of, and nothing has ever worked. Usually I don't notice any difference at all, besides side effects. Figured I have treatment resistant depression (which is often result of years of untreated ADD) so that brings me to the ADD meds as last resort. But maybe the combo is what will work. Who knows? Ready to try anything!
Ahhh, please please please be careful with Wellbutrin. Studies are coming out now saying that after prolonged use it causes suicidal urges. This medication completely changed my personality...I became truly *****y, like I was a know it all I was openly rude and my boyfriend of 5 years dumped me because he didn't know who I was anymore.
Everyone is different, this I know but I was on a low does of Wellbutrin and this happened to me. After I stopped taking it I felt like I got my life back.
Also, supposedly the generic form is crap (so says my dr) so if you're going to take it, you're gonna have to go brand name. I hear the complete personality changes don't happen with the brand stuff.
Old 09-12-09, 11:22 PM

I can confirm what those that prefer Adderall XR to Vyvanse are saying. Vyvanse is smother and less effective. Adderall actually last longer for me. I think this is because it is like two equal doses of IR, one immediately and one delayed approximately 4 hours. The second automatic dose works wonders and kicks in and lasts through the time when Vyvanse stops working for me. Vyvanse stops working for me after 4 hrs and requires a small IR booster at lunch. Small because it is still in my blood but a levels that are too low to help me.

The 30mg XR might actually be too much, where 60mg Vyvanse was apparently weaker, and a tad too little to just right for me, but lacking through the day.

With Adderall XR I start to feel a little tired in the middle of my 3rd hour, but around 4 hrs I feel a good second dose kicking in, seemingly stronger than the 1st because of some residue adderall in the blood?

I also have better motivation and focus, which I attribute to the mix of amph. salts, which when combined with the better extension of effectiveness obtained though the Microtrol release system, makes XR my choice, now that I have tried both.

I tried Nuvigil with XR and Vyvanse, and felt over stimulated. I agree with the Nuvigil/Provigil assessments that those drugs do not help motivation and focus as well as XR.