ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-09, 01:32 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
learning disabilities are a reality

For many people learning disabilities are a fact of life. It's an everyday challenge. We have to deal with other adults making fun of us when we make a mistake or the way we talk, or the way we try and put our thoughts together. Psychiatrist who give test are great for telling us we can't do something, but they don't tell us what we can do. Some us forget what we learn through our years in school which really makes life difficult to live.Than their comes a point in our lives where it becomes difficult to get movtivated or to even care about things. their are those that do not have above average intelligence like me.The things that we dreamed of doing as kids never even come close to being a reality. having a supportive family helps to make it a little mor bearable but not much.My college boards were 500 to 550.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
APSJ (06-11-10), Crazygirl79 (10-18-09), ginniebean (01-10-17), joklem (10-18-09), lisariver (10-07-18), Michiko74 (05-18-12), mimi'sdreaming (02-22-11)
  #2  
Old 10-16-09, 01:46 PM
Kiddder's Avatar
Kiddder Kiddder is offline
ADDvanced Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 78
Thanked 666 Times in 421 Posts
Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

You make valid claims and undisputable points boss. What can I do to show you that there can be a more positive and productive way of living with these facts? If your just venting, thats OK too.....vent, purge, emote....that is a first good start to a different perspective in any situation anyway.....put all the negatives out in the open and in the light, and one at a time, change em. You will never alter many of the obsticles you very accurately descibed, but you have all power and control over how you let them affect you.
__________________

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. ~ Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiddder For This Useful Post:
Icecream (01-02-11)
  #3  
Old 10-16-09, 02:07 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddder View Post
You make valid claims and undisputable points boss. What can I do to show you that there can be a more positive and productive way of living with these facts? If your just venting, thats OK too.....vent, purge, emote....that is a first good start to a different perspective in any situation anyway.....put all the negatives out in the open and in the light, and one at a time, change em. You will never alter many of the obsticles you very accurately descibed, but you have all power and control over how you let them affect you.
At my age how can you improve all your weakeness, when you know them so well, but the few strengths you know you have can't make you any money
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-10-17)
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 10-16-09, 04:08 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

IT"s hard to overcome somrthing when you don't know how?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-09, 05:10 PM
Kiddder's Avatar
Kiddder Kiddder is offline
ADDvanced Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 78
Thanked 666 Times in 421 Posts
Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
At my age how can you improve all your weakeness, when you know them so well, but the few strengths you know you have can't make you any money

IT"s hard to overcome somrthing when you don't know how?
My guess is your suffering some level of depression which is understandable and will affect your perspective......below are my ideas to consider when you are in a less hopeless frame of mind.

"At my age how can you improve all your weakeness?"

You can do far more than you realize at any age, most limits are self impossed. First identify if it is infact a weakness or rather something you are being made to believe a weakness. Don't look at your weaknesses as a whole, but write out in order of severity a select few and pick one at a time and explore ways you can improve it, if only a little.....if it is unalterable, try to accept it as a part of who you are and explore options in your life that don't depend on this weakness for your happines (I say happiness because "success" is subjective, I know many who are considered successful but not happy). I can't dance worth a flip, but accept that inability as part of who I am and not a weakness because someone else can dance up a storm.

"when you know them so well, but the few strengths you know you have can't make you any money"

Again....don't confuse money with happiness. Perhaps you have been sold an inaccurate bill of goods. Maybe others have convinced you that you have weaknesses you don't and over time you have come to believe them yourself. Don't confuse a weakness with aptitude either. Just because you may lack superior accounting skills does not mean it is a weakness....I don't have an apptitude for numbers either, or reading detailed text or some others I am sure.....because I do not have an aptitude or interest in them is I suppose I could beat myself up and say I have a weakness, but why would I use symantics like that when I don't have to.

"IT"s hard to overcome somrthing when you don't know how?"

Not even I can dispute that, but it is true for anyone. Like I said, pick one single fault you are considering a weakness and explore why it is a weakness, what options there are to affect a change (learn how) and if you decide it is unchangeable find a way around it. Find a career or job that does not depend on this particular streangth determining if you do well and are happy.

I know this all sounds simplistic, but it really is.....no problem is so large that it cannot be broken down into manageable pieces and worked on a little at a time.
__________________

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. ~ Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-09, 08:20 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddder View Post
My guess is your suffering some level of depression which is understandable and will affect your perspective......below are my ideas to consider when you are in a less hopeless frame of mind.

"At my age how can you improve all your weakeness?"

You can do far more than you realize at any age, most limits are self impossed. First identify if it is infact a weakness or rather something you are being made to believe a weakness. Don't look at your weaknesses as a whole, but write out in order of severity a select few and pick one at a time and explore ways you can improve it, if only a little.....if it is unalterable, try to accept it as a part of who you are and explore options in your life that don't depend on this weakness for your happines (I say happiness because "success" is subjective, I know many who are considered successful but not happy). I can't dance worth a flip, but accept that inability as part of who I am and not a weakness because someone else can dance up a storm.

"when you know them so well, but the few strengths you know you have can't make you any money"

Again....don't confuse money with happiness. Perhaps you have been sold an inaccurate bill of goods. Maybe others have convinced you that you have weaknesses you don't and over time you have come to believe them yourself. Don't confuse a weakness with aptitude either. Just because you may lack superior accounting skills does not mean it is a weakness....I don't have an apptitude for numbers either, or reading detailed text or some others I am sure.....because I do not have an aptitude or interest in them is I suppose I could beat myself up and say I have a weakness, but why would I use symantics like that when I don't have to.

"IT"s hard to overcome somrthing when you don't know how?"

Not even I can dispute that, but it is true for anyone. Like I said, pick one single fault you are considering a weakness and explore why it is a weakness, what options there are to affect a change (learn how) and if you decide it is unchangeable find a way around it. Find a career or job that does not depend on this particular streangth determining if you do well and are happy.

I know this all sounds simplistic, but it really is.....no problem is so large that it cannot be broken down into manageable pieces and worked on a little at a time.
I wouldn't say that I am suffering from deppresion. I am on Busspar and cymbalta for an anxiety disorder GAD.It's true that I am not good in math science. I always thought I was good in english until my skills deterioated. My hand I coordination is terrible. I do the best with what I have
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-10-17)
  #7  
Old 10-17-09, 08:59 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

with all reading i've been doing on, I am starting to wonder if taking adhd is worth it.Why is it that those with adhd can't just get their stuff organzied and stay organized? Why is ithat we never learn to put stuff back in the same place so we don't forget where we put.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-10-17)
  #8  
Old 10-17-09, 10:50 PM
AddaptAbilities's Avatar
AddaptAbilities AddaptAbilities is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Earth, mostly
Posts: 287
Thanks: 258
Thanked 175 Times in 103 Posts
AddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura aboutAddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura about
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Why is it that those with adhd can't just get their stuff organzied and stay organized? Why is ithat we never learn to put stuff back in the same place so we don't forget where we put.
Well, I'm living proof that you CAN.

It ain't easy, and you might not be able to do it alone, but it certainly is possible. I organized my house with the help of a friend and the book Organizing From The Inside Out. I wasn't on meds at the time, I wasn't exercising, and while my diet wasn't as bad, it wasn't optimal either.

As far as earning money goes ... that one has been slower going for me. It's certainly true that money doesn't buy happiness, but it's also very difficult to be happy when you're wondering where your next meal is coming from, or even if you're just unable to contribute to your household income. In my case, a major stumbling block has been the fact that my learning disabilities -- ADD, dyscalculia, and dysgraphia -- are in areas that pretty much define any entry level professional job. I definitely know where you're coming from.

The only way to turn that around is to believe that your time and your skills are worth paying for, and to demand compensation for it. It can take a lot of time and therapy to even to get to that point, but it will happen eventually.

One final thing: have you considered getting an aptitude test? There's an outfit called Johnson O'Connor that will do aptitude testing for $600. It's a hefty price, but they've been doing research for years on how to determine what people's strengths are, and what aptitudes are necessary in what careers. It's a completely different ballgame than the career interest inventories they make you do in school. It might be worth checking out.

I've started blogging about getting organized with ADD, and living with adult LD. They're still pretty new blogs, but you might find them helpful, and you should be able to find them if you google "well ordered chaos ADD organizing".
__________________
ADHD Inattentive Type, Math Disorder, Written Expression Disorder, Major Depression with Psychotic Features, Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds: Vyvanse 70 mgs; Lamictal 150 mgs; Ativan 0.5 -1.0 mgs

Past Meds: Adderall, Lexapro, Abilify, Dexedrine Spansules, Dexedrine IR, Ritalin, Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline, Wellbutrin


The Lamictal Diaries: Medicating My Mood Disorder
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AddaptAbilities For This Useful Post:
mimi'sdreaming (02-22-11)
  #9  
Old 10-17-09, 11:33 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaptAbilities View Post
Well, I'm living proof that you CAN.

It ain't easy, and you might not be able to do it alone, but it certainly is possible. I organized my house with the help of a friend and the book Organizing From The Inside Out. I wasn't on meds at the time, I wasn't exercising, and while my diet wasn't as bad, it wasn't optimal either.

As far as earning money goes ... that one has been slower going for me. It's certainly true that money doesn't buy happiness, but it's also very difficult to be happy when you're wondering where your next meal is coming from, or even if you're just unable to contribute to your household income. In my case, a major stumbling block has been the fact that my learning disabilities -- ADD, dyscalculia, and dysgraphia -- are in areas that pretty much define any entry level professional job. I definitely know where you're coming from.

The only way to turn that around is to believe that your time and your skills are worth paying for, and to demand compensation for it. It can take a lot of time and therapy to even to get to that point, but it will happen eventually.

One final thing: have you considered getting an aptitude test? There's an outfit called Johnson O'Connor that will do aptitude testing for $600. It's a hefty price, but they've been doing research for years on how to determine what people's strengths are, and what aptitudes are necessary in what careers. It's a completely different ballgame than the career interest inventories they make you do in school. It might be worth checking out.

I've started blogging about getting organized with ADD, and living with adult LD. They're still pretty new blogs, but you might find them helpful, and you should be able to find them if you google "well ordered chaos ADD organizing".
I have had so manny test done. When I was born my Mom had a cold and I didn't get enough oxgen when I was born. That's when they found oot I had adhd. They put me on Ritalin and it made me commatose. Back than they didn't have anything else. The one thing I never did was give up. Tell me I couldn't do something, and I would prove you wrong. I did have a test done by voc rehab after i graduated.I would like to take a test to find out what my strenghts arethanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-09, 06:13 PM
Crazygirl79 Crazygirl79 is offline
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,795
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks: 5,868
Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

They certainly are a reality for most...believe me and good post.

Selena
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-19-09, 02:49 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

When I was way young, I took Ritilan, and it made me comatose so I was told.That's all the medican the had back than. I wish school and life would of been easier. People should except people with disabilties.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-09, 07:44 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

for me they have finally have become a reality. I fought against the stigma my whole life.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (11-01-09)
  #13  
Old 11-02-09, 12:48 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

It seems to me that it would be so easy to solve some problem areas, but we, I just don't do it. I guuess their are 100 logical reasons as to why we I just don't solve.them .Sometimes I think we I take the easy way out and blame everthing but myself, orselves. Just something I sometimes wonder about
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-22-09, 09:53 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

dealing with brian damage and learning disabilities everday is starting to be a reality that I just don't live with anymore.People can be so cruel.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-13-09, 03:23 PM
excel excel is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dover,de
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: learning disabilities are a reality

Life can get better when you open up to the people that really truly care about you. If you keep everything inside until you can't take it anymore your only hurting yourself.I have recently figured this out. It's such a great relief to get everything off my chest.
We don't always understand but having a strong faith is a good thing.Sometimes we are so self focused at times that we forget what is really important to us.
I hope everyone has a safe, peaceful and a happy Holiday season, Excel
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-10-17)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question about dx(s) and strategic learning Justtess General ADD Talk 10 07-04-08 10:46 AM
Creating your own reality Nova Chit-Chat 93 02-24-07 11:50 AM
Why must Non ADDers look at me with such contempt Draga Relationships & Social Issues 40 10-21-05 09:33 PM
Vision Disorders Hinder Children's Learning, But Therapy Can ... - USA Andrew ADD News 0 08-21-04 02:33 PM
Learning to accept my reality BeachBum Depression 2 05-14-04 07:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums