ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-11, 02:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,123 Times in 673 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
learning disabilities and brain damage

do learning disabilties and brain damage get worse with age?
Old 04-16-11, 02:42 PM

Daffy89 is on a distinguished road
Re: learning disabilities and brain damage

I'm not really qualified to answer this question, but I should imagine in some cases they can better depending on the disability, as your coping mechanisms improve. This could be masked however, if your environment becomes more stressful and demanding.
Old 04-16-11, 04:03 PM

Thanked 26,863 Times in 12,537 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I'm aware of. What I do know is that we become wiser as we gain experience, so that offsets any possible worsening of the symptoms.

My anxiety seems to get better and worse and better again (going through a tough patch now), but the mental fog of ADHD has been less troublesome since I began taking supplements. There was a patch when I was going through menopause that I thought I was getting Alzheimer's, but that was because of the hormonal changes and it went away.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-11, 10:08 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

My anxiety Has gotten worse especially my driving anxiety. I think my learning disablities have gotten worse.
Old 04-16-11, 11:04 PM

Thanked 11,437 Times in 6,063 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I think so,some days Im like just retarded and nothing goes right for me.Why does life have to be in between for us.Why couldnt it have been either your nt or retarded none of this in the middle crap?
Old 04-17-11, 12:11 PM

Everybody has their good days and their bad days
Old 04-17-11, 12:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

Grunny will become famous soon enough

My diagnosis is very recent, just starting meds and i very much hope my learning disability will fade with time now. It's very frustrating to have a brain that has potentially high value but completely riddled with errors. I've underachieved my entire life on every aspect of it. Maybe i'll learn to utilize more of it's potential now. I'm 33 now, but better later than never, right! I hope learning disabilities don't get worse with age. I personally believe the brain is very moldable, but the ego the opposite. I'm trying to set aside my ego and it's inflexible ideas and defences but the ******* is persistent! But with my new acquired focus at least i have a fighting chance.
Old 04-17-11, 04:32 PM

My learning disabilties are pretty severe. I don't think medication will kelp
Old 04-18-11, 08:05 AM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 803 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
do learning disabilties and brain damage get worse with age?
I may be just picky, but does a learning disability mean your brain is damaged?
Old 04-18-11, 09:03 AM

Yes I have brain damage. I didn't get enough oxygen when I was born
Old 04-18-11, 09:21 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

excel, do you mind my asking how old you are? Also, what type of schooling did you receive (and how long).

What exactly have you been diagnosed with?

I absolutely think learning disabilities can get better with age. They are lifelong, but learning what they are and hope to best cope will make a world of difference.

There is help out there. Please don't give up!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 04-18-11, 09:23 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Not that I'm aware of. What I do know is that we become wiser as we gain experience, so that offsets any possible worsening of the symptoms.

My anxiety seems to get better and worse and better again (going through a tough patch now), but the mental fog of ADHD has been less troublesome since I began taking supplements. There was a patch when I was going through menopause that I thought I was getting Alzheimer's, but that was because of the hormonal changes and it went away.
Lunacie, what supplements do you take?

I'm coasting into menopause right now. I think it's made my ADD and anxiety worse, without a doubt!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 04-18-11, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi'sdreaming View Post
excel, do you mind my asking how old you are? Also, what type of schooling did you receive (and how long).

What exactly have you been diagnosed with?

I absolutely think learning disabilities can get better with age. They are lifelong, but learning what they are and hope to best cope will make a world of difference.

There is help out there. Please don't give up!
46 years oldI went to college and got my associates degree.
Old 04-18-11, 09:47 AM

Thanked 26,863 Times in 12,537 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi'sdreaming View Post
Lunacie, what supplements do you take?

I'm coasting into menopause right now. I think it's made my ADD and anxiety worse, without a doubt!
Menopause was crazy - I seriously thought I was developing early onset Alzheimer's. I was using progestrone cream which helped with some symptoms, but not the brain fog. My daughter bought a supplement from Avon (they no longer make supplements apparently) that contained Evening Primrose Oil and Fish Oil. The difference was wonderful. But the stuff was expensive.

I went to Walmart and bought some fish oil (Omega 3) and am one of the people that it really helps a lot. I could really tell how much it was helping when I ran out and didn't buy another bottle right away. I found myself getting lost in a part of town I thought I knew pretty well.

I also take a B complex with Magnesium and Zinc. I used to take one with Calcium but have found that Vitamin D is good for bones and I'm taking that for seasonal depression. And I take one prescription med for hypertension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
46 years oldI went to college and got my associates degree.
I didn't go to college at all much less get a degree. Good for you.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mimi'sdreaming (04-18-11)
Old 04-18-11, 12:24 PM
Contributor

LostInThought12 has a spectacular aura aboutLostInThought12 has a spectacular aura about

I dont know that it gets better or worse with age... but I agree that we learn how to teach ourselves things differently than perhaps a NT.

My memory is junk for the most part, but Ive learned to remember things, easy things by going through the alphebet.

I start with A, and think about different letters and sounds come after it. If it doesnt strike me as familiar to what Im trying to recall... I go to B... and so on.

Most of the time, if I can be patient and noone is pressing me, I can get the main word, which then the rest of ithe subject follows.

This works if Im trying to remember what Im supposed to be doing, remembering the thing that I had been looking all over the house for... then at some point, forgot what that was altogether lol, it sometimes works with peoples names, etc.

If I dont make a real strong mental note of something, and really try to concentrate on it for a little while, its gone most of the time as fast as it came, except for things that I find very interesting. I cant always emember details, but I get the whole jist of it all.

I dont think this probably helped,
But you are not alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to LostInThought12 For This Useful Post:
excel (01-09-17)