ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-09, 04:42 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all
Re: Time and Computers

Ummmm. . .I've been on the computer since about 11:00am Wednesday morning. Didn't eat lunch or dinner, haven't had anything to even snack on. . .just click-click-click, totally wasting time checking web sites and playing around on Second Life, occasionally glancing at the time and realizing that yet another two hours have rolled by in what seemed like just minutes.

:::sigh:::

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JollyBadger For This Useful Post:
herekittykitty (05-01-10), navyblue (06-25-10)
Old 10-29-09, 09:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,129 Times in 678 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Computers can be great, but lets not forget to get sme fresh air.
Old 10-29-09, 11:52 AM

science is on a distinguished road

I related to this post entirely however when people say "surf the web" that doesn't apply if anything I float without a paddle I look up someone or something on wikipedia and before I know it I am reading up on the some random but interesting fact about how ants don't sleep and dolphins sleep with one eye open.

So I loose track of time sure.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-09, 12:24 PM
Jr Member

OrgnlDayDreamer is on a distinguished road

I usually hyperfocus on one or two websites with similar topics, or I just... drift around.

I'm a very frequent wiki visitor too, everytime I find something Im unfamiliar with or curious about, wiki! and wiki gets the ball rolling..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OrgnlDayDreamer For This Useful Post:
herekittykitty (05-01-10), navyblue (06-25-10), science (10-29-09)
Old 10-29-09, 03:16 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

A good is to have a timer by the computer. Time goes by so fast it seems like I never get anything accomplised. I admire people that can get a lot accomplished during the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
Tommy Wilhelm (12-08-10)
Old 10-30-09, 03:52 AM
Contributor

herekittykitty is on a distinguished road

hi! I'm sitting here at work, it's nearly 5pm and I've done NOTHING all day. Finally went to buy lunch at 4, and it's now cooling on my desk, uneaten.

I keep popping the (prescribed) Ritalin, promising myself over and over that NOW I'll finally get started. I think of my cats at home waiting, I think of those people in Finance waiting for my long-overdue expense reports, I think of the nice people in Marketing who are waiting for my response on the business trip, I think of those nice folks at driving school who would be happy to schedule a lesson if I would only call them...

Not even the thought of annoying and inconveniencing others gets me off my bum! So like an earlier poster I pop on Mr. Interwebs to find help, then follow the endlessly fascinating breadcrumb trail...

I think being accountable to others would help me, but I haven't found anyone at work who wants to babysit me, dammit!

Weeeeellll, I've added nothing to the discussion, but am very glad to have found other folks with similar issues/long days spent doing nothing...
The Following User Says Thank You to herekittykitty For This Useful Post:
Nyarlathotep (06-14-10)
Old 10-30-09, 10:48 AM

Are you depressed?
Old 11-02-09, 07:32 PM

I wuld like to become good at using microsoft office,. I have all the books, but I never seem to follow through on teaching myself how to properly use it. I know all the basics.
Old 11-03-09, 01:46 AM
Jr Member

OrgnlDayDreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
I wuld like to become good at using microsoft office,. I have all the books, but I never seem to follow through on teaching myself how to properly use it. I know all the basics.
look for a project to work on that uses office.. look for "interesting" (shiny!!) exercises in the books. When I'm trying to learn something like that I just skip to the exercises and look back on examples, examples lead me to explanations and tadah!! I'm learning!!
Old 11-03-09, 01:29 PM
Contributor

jacinta will become famous soon enough

I like to call it 'research' when I'm looking at something on the net and then there's a word or something I don't quite understand so I look that up too. But then tonight I just went on to find out when the last full moon was and ended up hours later doing IQ tests.
The Following User Says Thank You to jacinta For This Useful Post:
Touchthesky (11-07-14)
Old 11-05-09, 02:37 AM
Contributor

y00ch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Does anybody ever wonder where the time goes when they are on the computer or just in general? I run from one website to another and never accomplishing anything. than I wonder where all the time went. I do this with trying to organzise myself or really doing anything. It's start to drive me nuts.

Our favorite Dr's. Rately and something or other who wrote Driven to Distraction. ( a book i highly recommend) talk of the internet as being part of the pseudo-adhd culture.

Pseudo ADHD like inattentive ADHD or hyperactive ADHD is a distinction made by these researchers which states that American culture produces ADHD like symptoms in people. The fast pace, the want it now culture, bigger, faster, better, always on the go, etc .etc. are factors in our culture that feed ADHD or perhaps create it?

the Internet is the ultimate culmination of the potentiality of impulsiveness. Not even mentioning ADHD the internet has single handedly shortened American scales of patience to the point that there is clear differences intergenerationally. It has created a now culture where you can buy anything with the click of a button. And it has made communication quick sterile , and emotionless.

Yay for the internet!

Old 11-07-09, 03:49 PM

I would like to see some public awarenees done on learning disabilties. It's very troubling to see children and adults belittled because they are different from the norm.
Old 11-08-09, 03:08 AM

lexah is on a distinguished road

Before the internet I used to write in my diary - it was a very definite end to diary writing when I got the internet... irc was awesome, I was about 15/16.

My workaround for the workplace is this (coz I too work with computers) is to set a timer on my phone for a period of time (say 30 mins or an hour or some such). I have it in front of me so if I ever get the temptation to browse the net, I see that i have x minutes left to work on the task at hand.

When timer goes off, I reward myself with a little bit of internet browsing time (emails, twitter, whatever) and then re-set the timer and get back into it.

It works well... yes you are browsing on work time, but if you allow yourself only 5-10 mins every half an hour we ALL KNOW we'd be more productive coz with no time restraints or reminders we'd spend all day on there
The Following User Says Thank You to lexah For This Useful Post:
Alle (11-08-09)
Old 11-13-09, 01:25 PM

time seems to go by way to fast for during the off hours from work. I don't really get anything worth while accomplished
Old 11-15-09, 07:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

crashbang is on a distinguished road

I only speaking the language of nerd 2.0.
computers and the internet are amazing. (However so glad I had a childhood without computers!)
I probably am addicted.
I work all day on one, and when I'm not out making john travola type moves on the dance floor I'm home geeking it up making techno, researching, watching documentaries, testing new software, ect.
yay!