ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-09, 01:02 AM
Jr Member

sphinxface is on a distinguished road
Depression and ADD

When I get depressed I usually have something that sets me off but then I think about 100 other things that upsets me, and I can never focus on one issue. Is this an ADD thing?
The Following User Says Thank You to sphinxface For This Useful Post:
Bottomimpulse (12-31-09)
Old 12-31-09, 02:56 AM

Bottomimpulse is on a distinguished road
Re: Depression and ADD

You call it "get depressed"... I don't know if I give the same meaning to the word as you do.

When I am depressed I think I am too far gone... In my depression I feel depressed and I have a hyperfocus on the subject that I think negative about, I am spinning and re-thinking, re-assuring that I am thinking this and that... worrying...
The state you describe I call it Alertness... I experienced one or two negative things and Bottomimpulse comes on Bad Ground. Then I am really open to stimuli, very alert and reactive, very busy and this and that... have to watch out for the Impulsive actions there...

So yes, you describe an ADD thing... I have another name for it.
Old 12-31-09, 03:12 AM
Jr Member

sphinxface is on a distinguished road

Wow, I wish I could understand myself in the extreme depth that you explained... but I seem to be opposite. I cannot concentrate on one thought long enough to make sense of anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to sphinxface For This Useful Post:
Bottomimpulse (12-31-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-09, 04:11 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxface View Post
Wow, I wish I could understand myself in the extreme depth that you explained... but I seem to be opposite. I cannot concentrate on one thought long enough to make sense of anything.
Hi, in terms of self reflection, I've had the same problem.

What you can do is carry a pen and paper around. When a thought comes to you, write it down. Over time, you will have ideas about yourself.
Old 12-31-09, 04:14 AM

Bottomimpulse is on a distinguished road

Yes, like you I know states of non-attention, distractions, re-activity and not-concentration, of course... with my wavering and wandering mind...
Besides I have moments of attentiveness and (hyper-) concentration, focus, being able to direct and act goal-directed.
On the negative side they tend to pull me to the moodswing, downwards.
Old 12-31-09, 04:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,399 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

you could try getting treated for depression
Old 12-31-09, 09:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

innaminute will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxface View Post
When I get depressed I usually have something that sets me off but then I think about 100 other things that upsets me, and I can never focus on one issue. Is this an ADD thing?
I don't know if it's an ADD thing, as I have known folks who are not ADD and when they get into a "down place" they usually go shopping from the shelves of s**t. It seems like once they find one thing to be down about, a whole bunch of other things to be down about come to the surface.

I know that when I get into a down place, it may start off with the one thing, and I'll do the same, have other stuff come up and then it's like the inner critic just gets let loose...

But, what is an ADD thing, I think, is that the negative thoughts are usually about me being lazy, or procrastinating, or never finishing what I start, or why am I so disorganized, why am I so impulsive, and then I end up feeling depressed about that. OR, I'll have a situation that relates to one of those things and then I'll end up jumping to all the situations in my life that have ever been because of the stuff... Which is no good for anyone, especially me.

Sometimes I'm good at stopping these in their tracks by trying to find positive things, but that "sometimes" is the key word...

If I was to give one piece of unsolicited advice... When your head starts jumping around like that, breathe, be quiet, and just breathe.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-09, 10:23 AM
Jr Member

gettingitdone will become famous soon enough

I'm not like that with depression (although I do get depressed), but I become a bit stuck when someone has upset me and then I begin to mental form a list of grievences that tends to propel my frustration. When every I voice my concerns people always minimize it, but I'm all riled up.
Old 12-31-09, 04:56 PM
Contributor

ditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud of

Poor concentration and inattention are also symptoms of depression, so if you already have ADHD, depression can definitely exacerbate your already hindered concentration. On days that I am really down, I find something as simple as making coffee to be affected by putting the pot into the fridge, forgetting to put the grinds in, or pouring the fresh coffee into the part where the water goes...if I didn't have kids I would just spend the day in bed on those days...but alas... I have to try and get their lunches ready in that frame of mind too! *sigh*

If you find yourself worrying about many things consider anxiety as a culprit or antagonist. General Anxiety is basically worrying excessively about many things, or "everything". ADHD can make this really interesting because not only do you worry about many things that can happen, you also get really creative and worry about things that are truly insane, like whether or not you'll be impaled somehow on the way to get your kids from school (which is a block away) and how that might happen and how can you avoid it, etc...ok, well maybe that's just me and a specific phobia of being impaled, but I have dreamed up 1000 ways it can happen!
Old 01-01-10, 06:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,507 Times in 13,317 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I'm so glad I read this just now because that's how I'm thinking this morning. and on new year's day: NOT good, LOL.

It's just that there are always multiple random thoughts in the background and when they all start going negative it's very unpleasant...ie: a detail you just saw/an idea/a memory

but when it's all negative, then you notice: a weird or unhappy detail/you realise you forgot something/then you have some random memory of a day you forgot something back in high school...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
ditzydreamer (01-02-10), innaminute (01-01-10)