ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Recipes
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Recipes Easy recipes for the ADDer & ADD Family

Old 03-17-20, 09:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,389 Times in 2,235 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Shopping and Cooking in the Time of Coronavirus

Moderator note: I've split this thread off from the broader coronavirus thread. - Namazu

Thanks Namazu and Greyhound.

Does anyone here have suggestions for low carb long lasting foods/meals, preferably vegan but not necessarily so? I've been grocery shopping every two weeks which I don't really need to have long lasting foods to do that. But the grocery stores are so jam packed now, even during the off hours. I'm afraid of the germs in there so I'm thinking I want to cut grocery shopping down to once a month.

I'm also seeing if there is food delivery or pick up still being offered by the supermarket but I'm not sure during these times.

Last edited by namazu; 03-17-20 at 02:27 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (03-17-20), namazu (03-17-20), someothertime (03-23-20), stef (03-18-20)
Old 03-17-20, 02:18 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,958 Times in 11,066 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona virus what's the deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Thanks Namazu and Greyhound.

Does anyone here have suggestions for low carb long lasting foods/meals, preferably vegan but not necessarily so? I've been grocery shopping every two weeks which I don't really need to have long lasting foods to do that. But the grocery stores are so jam packed now, even during the off hours. I'm afraid of the germs in there so I'm thinking I want to cut grocery shopping down to once a month.

I'm also seeing if there is food delivery or pick up still being offered by the supermarket but I'm not sure during these times.
How low-carb is low-carb?

I have several great soup recipes that are or could be vegan, though some of them involve squash or sweet potatoes or carrots or beans. You could make a big batch and then either eat it over the course of the week or freeze some so you don't get sick of it.

Most of my other low-carb recipes involve chicken (though that's been cleaned off the shelves, so looks like we'll be eating strictly vegetarian for a while).

For low-carb snacks that don't go bad too quickly, I like almonds a lot. Lentil-based pasta seems to be more available than wheat-based pasta, and it stores well. And of course, actual lentils and garbanzos and quinoa store well.

I tried to take advantage of Amazon's food delivery -- but while I could put everything I wanted in my cart, they didn't have any delivery slots available. I'm hoping that that will ease up after the initial food-hoarding panic wears off.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 08:52 PM

Re: Corona virus what's the deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
How low-carb is low-carb?

I have several great soup recipes that are or could be vegan, though some of them involve squash or sweet potatoes or carrots or beans. You could make a big batch and then either eat it over the course of the week or freeze some so you don't get sick of it.

Most of my other low-carb recipes involve chicken (though that's been cleaned off the shelves, so looks like we'll be eating strictly vegetarian for a while).

For low-carb snacks that don't go bad too quickly, I like almonds a lot. Lentil-based pasta seems to be more available than wheat-based pasta, and it stores well. And of course, actual lentils and garbanzos and quinoa store well.

I tried to take advantage of Amazon's food delivery -- but while I could put everything I wanted in my cart, they didn't have any delivery slots available. I'm hoping that that will ease up after the initial food-hoarding panic wears off.
I'm not really low carb, I'm low glycemic load/index carb. I believe all those ingredients you listed would meet that criteria.

What's your favorite soup recipe? I'd love to give it a try.

Safeway delivery in my area is booked out for the week but they have openings by Mon so I already ordered all my food for the next at least two weeks. We'll see how well it works. According to my sister who works in Albertsons, the lines were monstrous at the cashiers so this in theory seems better. Costed me about $10 more than usual. I wish they would make delivery or pick up free and have the media broadcast that. This would help reduce the large gatherings at the supermarket. They must be making a ton of money anyway as it seems to me they aren't having as many sales as usual.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-17-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-20, 09:42 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shopping and Cooking in the Time of Coronavirus

Two of our go-to soup recipes are the Moosewood Basque White Bean Soup and a Spicy Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup.

I'll have to dig up the recipe for the Basque White Bean Soup, but here's the off-the-top-of-my-head version:
- butternut squash chunks (cut up yourself, or from the freezer section), maybe 1 1/2 lbs?
- celery stalks (a few)
- carrots (a few)
- onion (one, diced)
- dried thyme
- fennel powder
- water or veg broth

Saute vegetables until softened. Add spices. Add liquid. Simmer. Puree some or all of the soup (in the pot with a stick blender, or scoop into a separate blender), per your taste.

Option additions near the end:
- Pinch of saffron.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Finely chopped red bell pepper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-19-20), someothertime (03-23-20)
Old 03-17-20, 11:26 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 17,191 Times in 8,118 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Much healthier and storable options which are quick shopping and cooking.

*Frozen pizzas
*Stouffer’s frozen Lasagne
*T.V. Dinners
*Frozen fish, shrimp & scallops
*Canned or frozen vegetables
*Hotdogs
*Packaged lunch meat and cheese
*Bacon
*Frozen bread and buns
*Oreos and ice cream. (Don’t get fruit it spoils too quickly)

I got my shopping list.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-19-20), Little Missy (03-18-20), stef (03-18-20)
Old 03-18-20, 04:03 AM

Thanked 27,965 Times in 13,481 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

You can make a quick, nourishing soup with 1 large can of lentils (do they have canned lentils in the states?); 1 small can tomatoes, about 1 cup chicken broth, and 1 tblsp ground cumin. and a little coriander. simmer 20 min and blend with an immersion blender.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-19-20), Little Missy (03-18-20), namazu (03-18-20)
Old 03-18-20, 03:07 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
do they have canned lentils in the states?
Yes, but they can be hard to find. Dried lentils cook fairly quickly, though. Sounds tasty -- thanks for the recipe!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-19-20), stef (03-18-20)
Old 03-18-20, 05:09 PM

stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Can you have quinoa? It's tasty with mixed vegetables (especially zucchini).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-19-20), Little Missy (03-18-20), namazu (03-18-20), someothertime (03-23-20)
Old 03-20-20, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
Can you have quinoa? It's tasty with mixed vegetables (especially zucchini).
I've never had quinoa so will give it a try too next time I order groceries.

Quinoa is right at the border on the glycemic index between "normal" and "low" so good enough for me though I probably would only eat it in moderation (but nice to have variety). I don't really like lentils which is too bad cause I hear they are healthy for you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-20-20), someothertime (03-23-20), stef (03-20-20)
Old 03-23-20, 06:30 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,470 Times in 2,998 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

A few weeks ago I did lentils/dahl(orange) for a week... ( dried )

slapped em' in the microwave with some curry power, seasoning and vegetables (onion always)... YUM!

-use serving size bowl... ( overfill with water by a bit less than 1/3 )
-about 16mins on power level 4
-remove add veg, spice stir
-another 4mins on higher power
~ SB_UK ~
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-28-20), Little Missy (03-23-20), namazu (03-23-20), stef (03-23-20)
Old 03-28-20, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someothertime View Post
slapped em' in the microwave with some curry power, seasoning and vegetables (onion always)... YUM!
I don’t really like lentils. But I do like microwave lol.

I wonder if I can do the same thing but with quinoa instead?
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-28-20)
Old 03-28-20, 09:55 AM

I buy packets of cooked quinoa, usually I microwave a packet and mix it with vegetables.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-28-20), namazu (03-28-20)
Old 03-28-20, 03:01 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

I've done quinoa in the microwave before, usually with broccoli and chili powder (and then I add cheese once it comes out). Alas, I can't remember the ratio of water to quinoa, though -- is it more or less than 2:1?
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
stef (03-28-20)
Old 03-28-20, 03:58 PM

Thanked 23,368 Times in 12,465 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Much healthier and storable options which are quick shopping and cooking.

*Frozen pizzas
*Stouffer’s frozen Lasagne
*T.V. Dinners
*Frozen fish, shrimp & scallops
*Canned or frozen vegetables
*Hotdogs
*Packaged lunch meat and cheese
*Bacon
*Frozen bread and buns
*Oreos and ice cream. (Don’t get fruit it spoils too quickly)

I got my shopping list.
SO Hound!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-28-20), stef (03-28-20)